Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
embed font is too narrow - need help

Hello

Right now I am working on an ebook in epub. I just borrowed the paperbook version from the local library. In this book, there are 2 handwritten letters. I want to make the epub as close to the paperbook as possible, so I embed 2 fonts (I found a good explanation on how to do it on threepress.org).

To be exact: I found 2 free ttf fonts that looked like handwriting. It was recommended to convert them to otf, so I did that with a free website. I added them to my xhtml file and checked it with Firefox 4. It looked great.
Then I converted the xhtml file with Calibre into epub. I opened it with the epub viewer of Calibre and everything was still fine. Then I copied the epub on my ebook reader (Bebook One, with ADE) And this is were it starts to look strange.
I made a photo of my e-reader to show you what I mean:

As you can see the normal text looks fine, like it is supposed to be. But the space between the handwritten lines is too small. Just look at the 3rd word of the 1st line "ja" and the 3rd word of the 2nd line "hoffe". They almost touch. On other words, they do really touch. This only happens on my e-reader, in Calibre it looks fine.

Is this caused by the font? As I said, I use 2 different handwritten fonts, but both look similar. Or could this be caused when I converted it from ttf to otf?

Should I use a different font? Or would it help if I set the line height to something like 1 em? Or is there no way to solve this problem?

I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emil.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	72303  
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You need to modify the leading in the paragraph. See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/CSS#Leading and make the change in the CSS

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 03:43 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Or modify the font (if allowed) to increase the em size, without scaling the glyphs. Fontforge can do that. In this case, the font will look smaller in the page, because the line height remains constant (that is, if you don't change it).

You could include the handwritten letters as images, too.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That's what I generally do. It has the benefit of being easily convertible to Mobi format, that way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #5
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Thanks for all your answers.

Quote:
Personally, I don't think this is a good idea.

I got this ebook in pdf and in this one, the letters have been there as images. About 8 images per letter. They have been scanned badly, so they looked like crap (that was why I went to the library to get the paper version). I manually added the letters to the xhtml file that I got after using ocr on the pdf.

With images, there is no reflow, and the zoom level always is the same. It would be like a pdf file, just labeled epub ...

I haven't much time right now, so I haven't tested any of the other suggestions, but I will get back to you, once I tried.
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post

With images, there is no reflow, and the zoom level always is the same. It would be like a pdf file, just labeled epub ...
Hi

Images on EPUBs can be made easily reflowable. You just have to add a width % property or equivalent in your CSS. This will definitely save you time.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Images on EPUBs can be made easily reflowable. You just have to add a width % property or equivalent in your CSS. This will definitely save you time.
But the text inside the image does not reflow All you can control is the scale of the image as a whole.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Using an image may, however, be the only sensible approach. Eg, attached is an image of a letter from my recent version of Dickens's "Bleak House". Given the strange "over-linings" it contains, I could think of no way to incorporate this into the book other than as an image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Letter1.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	72325  
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To start with, you do not have to convert TTF to OTF. ADE supports both types of fonts for embedding. Second, just play around with line-height and you can then fix the spacing between the lines.

As for including images in the ePub to simulate the handwriting, I agree that it's a bad idea in ePub to do this when you can make it look nice with an embedded font that will re-size when you want it to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Actually, in real writing it can happen that letters overflow, especially the highs and lows. I kind of like it really.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
NASCARaddicted
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To start with, you do not have to convert TTF to OTF. ADE supports both types of fonts for embedding. Second, just play around with line-height and you can then fix the spacing between the lines.
Thank you. I already knew that TTF also works, I just thought I heard something like "OTF would be better". However, I found a website where you can upload a TTF font and it will be converted to OTF within seconds - for free. But I guess from now on I will give TTF a try, too. Again thanks for giving me the confidence that line height should work (I still haven't tried it - the first thing that I made when I got to the computer was looking at this thread)

Quote:
As for including images in the ePub to simulate the handwriting, I agree that it's a bad idea in ePub to do this when you can make it look nice with an embedded font that will re-size when you want it to.
Oh yes, that is so true. And another thing that no one has mentioned so far: you can't do a text search inside an image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Actually, in real writing it can happen that letters overflow, especially the highs and lows. I kind of like it really.
The way you talk, it seems as if you received a handwritten letter by me

Just to add this: the letters in this book are written by young teenage guys. One of them has a correct spelling, the other one makes a few mistakes, like for example, he sometimes forgets a letter, or he accidentally wrote a word twice. So yes, overflowing letters can happen - and in this case it would really fit. But still, I will give it a try with line height.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given the strange "over-linings" it contains, I could think of no way to incorporate this into the book other than as an image.
In that case, I'd probably use the border-top property and not use an image.

Quote:
I would include the text as an image particularly in the cases where the handwriting itself has some interesting particularity, as here.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:14 AM   #13
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But the text inside the image does not reflow All you can control is the scale of the image as a whole.
Obviously but a page would stay as a page at different screen sizes, exactly like a full screen photo stays full screen.

Probably, if you insert an image with a sufficiently high definition, it could be easily used at lower definitions and could later reflow correctly (so as to be easily readable) between, say 72 dpi and 150 dpi. By "sufficiently high", I mean a value over 150 dpi.

On the contrary, if you insert a low def image and try to do it the other way with a lossy compression like jpg, I agree that the end result would probably be quite bad.

We do it for photos, why not for manuscripts?

Last edited by roger64; 06-06-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
NASCARaddicted
Addict

just to get back to you guys:

last night, I tried it with line height, and it worked, so thanks for that.

However, you guys also mentioned images that an image will change size, if I use % property? I never thought about that. So far I always used property, based on px, so like 300px height would be half of my 600px screen.

And I thought, I already knew alot about epub - you learn something new everyday ...
Old 06-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
roger64
Wizard

Have a look, it's not perfect but it will give you some more ideas. The text on the table is to be read at minimum size with ebook readers

Look at these images with a 6 inch screen ebook reader, an iPad and a desktop computer. You also can open the epub with Sigil to look the implementation of the % code.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Test images W2X.epub (1.55 MB, 310 views)

Last edited by roger64; 06-06-2011 at 03:48 PM.