Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #16
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Libre has the shortest battery life of the three, and uses the most power. The screen is much less print-like to me (TFT-LCD), but it's still very easy on the eyes.

505 is truly the best of the three, but it's just the matter of finding it since it's discontinued.. If you've found one, go for it.

Kobo has poor support for formats, iirc. ePub or bust, really.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #17
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Calibre does not seem to recognize it, so I just download directly to the memory card via a card reader and then plug it into the wall to charge.
I DL'd and installed Calibre just a week ago (or less) and it recognized it right away, or at least as I remember it, as did Adobe Digital Editions.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to say that of the three you've listed, the 505 is the best of them. The Kobo is full of firmware bugs that never should have made it to units for sale. The Libre is just way too limited and the 505 is just right.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #19
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I noticed the Libre isnt available at Border's until July 20th. This does give you some more time to decide.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #20
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Yeah, I know. It also happens to be my birthday, which seems like a good omen...

Quote:
I have a Mac and Libre and have had no problems, but I have never plugged it in. Calibre does not seem to recognize it, so I just download directly to the memory card via a card reader and then plug it into the wall to charge.
Ah, yes... that seems like a good idea.

*Note to self: Get an SD card reader...*

By the way, one of the disadvantages you felt for the 505 was the lack of folders for organising your collection. According the crc earlier, the PRS+ allows folder support. Does that, then, make a difference to your recommendation? Or would you still say the Libre is the one to go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Libre is just way too limited and the 505 is just right.
In what way do you think is the Libre limited? The size of the display, to me, seems to be the biggest limitation. (I know that makes the Libre smaller in dimensions, but I don't really intend to carry it around much, so portability isn't an issue.) But are there other limitations I should know about?

I think it's boiling down to the Libre vs. PRS-505 for me. Due to what I've read here, the limitations in features, as well as my natural reluctance to buy a new and unproven device, I think the Kobo is out. A shame, really; I still think it looks the best.

Last edited by afa; 06-15-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Added... something...
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #21
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Well, I have never tried this plus business and I don't have the 505 anymore I did love the 505 but I needed the dictionary (for French) and the text to speech features of the Kindle; this was the sole reason I upgraded. So, given that I currently have an iPad for reading magazines, and a Kindle too, I would go for the Libre (and did, in fact) precisely FOR the smaller screen since it would offer me a choice (e.g. for lightness when traveling) that I don't currently have with my other stuff. That said, it is definitely the more disposable of my readers and if one of the parents who hasn't got a reader yet wanted it, I would probably give it up to them without a fight.

Some questions to guide you:

- How important is it that it look pretty? I don't think the 505 is a great prize, looks-wise, but there are a ton of after-market case/sleeve/skin options available for beautifying. The Libre I have heard can use SOME Sony Pocket cases, but that is pretty much it for accessories. My stepmom ignored my Libre recommendation for Dad because she looked it up on the internet and thought it was ugly as sin, and the Kobo was all sleek and white and pretty

- Have you tested out a device in person and seen how the e-ink page-turning flash looks? Some people are put off by it, though I find you do get used to it. The Libre is a bit slicker when in use; less pauses and waiting. I also find the Sony has a very fussy menu system. Deleting a book took you through like seven screens. Again, not a deal-breaker (for me) but just one more thing to think about.

- How will you carry it? The Kobo really is the lightest of the bunch, and the only one of the three that I would toss into a bag unprotected and not worry about. The Libre is light to carry and takes up very little bag real estate compared to the 505. If you buy a 505, you will need a case.

- Where will you get content? If you plan to use books from Kobo, Sony or a public library, the Sony software is more tightly integrated with the Sony. The Libre might take some fiddling to get set up. If you plan to 'liberate' all your books before loading them, or only plan to read freebies from here or elsewhere, it is MUCH faster to get them on the Libre because you can just dump to memory card.

Honestly though, I really think they are both fine devices. I don't think they are bad choices. There is no reason I would tell you NOT to buy either of them. It's just which one calls to you more
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #22
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't tested an e-Ink device in person, and don't think I can. My purchase will be online and shipped from the States because you don't really get e-readers locally. The few places that have them only have one or two, and no test models. So, I'm going to have to take the plunge in unchartered (for me) waters.

Quote:
I don't think they are bad choices. There is no reason I would tell you NOT to buy either of them.
Is this a reason: the 505 will set me back an extra $40 or so. Worth the extra cash? (It's not about the money, per se; I can easily afford the extra 40 bucks. I just dislike spending money unless I feel it's worth the difference.)

Quote:
It's just which one calls to you more
Alas, if only it were that easy. They all call to me for one reason or another. The Kobo becuase it looks good. I like the clean and simple design, and the 'quilted' back is nice, too. (At least, it looks nice in the pics. I've never seen it physically to know how it is in person.) But, because of its 'newness' and bare-bones features, I have basically eliminated it.

I like the format support and price of the Libre, but it's ugly as sin. And I like the 505 for all the praise the device gets on MobileRead.

*sigh*
Old 06-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #23
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'd probably push for the Libre/jetBook. None of the options you listed are great, or even very good, though. Are you in a big rush to buy?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #24
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Is this a reason: the 505 will set me back an extra $40 or so. Worth the extra cash? (It's not about the money, per se; I can easily afford the extra 40 bucks. I just dislike spending money unless I feel it's worth the difference.)
What extra features does it have over the Libre, and are those features worth $40 to you?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 505 has a higher resale value then any of the others if that matters.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #26
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
505 has a better (and bigger) screen, and extremely better battery life.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #27
afa
The Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
None of the options you listed are great, or even very good, though. Are you in a big rush to buy?
Really?? I thought everyone loved the 505, at least. Also, I see that you have one. Are you not happy with it? To answer your second question - no, I'm not in a rush. But I've been thinking about getting an e-reader for several months, and I figure it's about time I went ahead with it.

Quote:
What extra features does it have over the Libre, and are those features worth $40 to you?
Whatever features are added with the PRS+ firmware, like dictionary. And someone already mentioned the larger and (arguably) better screen, and the longer battery life. Is it worth $40? That's what I'm wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 505 has a higher resale value then any of the others if that matters.
If I was in US/UK, it probably would matter. But I live in Dubai, where 90% of people have no clue what an ebook reader is; and most of the ones that do, have only ever heard of the Kindle or the iPad. So over here - no, resale value is not a consideration.

I think I'm all but certain that I'm going to get the Libre. Of course, indecision being what it is, there's always a possibility that I'll change my mind tomorrow. But at the moment of writing this, I'm settled on the Libre. It's cheaper, reads virtually any format, and I'll be getting one new, not second-hand.

I figure since this is my first reader, it's probably prudent to go for the cheaper one; saves me some heartache were anything to go wrong. Besides, I'm not even sure how I'll like the experience of e-reading. For all I know, I might decide I don't like the feel of reading on a device and prefer print. So, all in all, I think the Aluratek will do.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. I appreciate you taking the time.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #28
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Really?? I thought everyone loved the 505, at least. Also, I see that you have one. Are you not happy with it? To answer your second question - no, I'm not in a rush. But I've been thinking about getting an e-reader for several months, and I figure it's about time I went ahead with it.
No, I don't really like mine. It has a nice solid feel, and it's thin and has good battery life. I dislike the screen (E-Ink is crap compared to even poor print), the device is extremely slow, and it is poorly ergonomically designed. It lacks a lot of simple but useful features like keyword search, and its ePub display quality is rubbish (I will only read custom-sized PDFs on mine).

The reason people get behind it is because for a while, it was the best underdog amongst a lot of pretty bad options, excepting the jetBook which a lot of folks trashed without ever knowing what it was (now, the jetBook and Libre have similar cult followings). Hype for it grew when the PRS-700 came to town and lots of people were disappointed at its display quality, and instead opted for the 505. People who were insecure about the decision to not upgrade very vocally tried to justify their positions by promoting the 505. It doesn't deserve most of its hype.

It's fine if you have sufficiently low standards for every aspect of a reading device except perhaps build quality and battery life.

Personally, I'd wait until newer, higher-contrast E-Ink Vizplex is available in newer devices. The display quality hopefully will be noticeably better, and newer devices will have the horsepower to drive the screen at a tolerable rate while providing better search/dictionary functionality. That's the hope at least. Whenever people ask me about my 505, I tell them to hold off on any ebook purchases until the technology is more mature.

If you're in a rush to buy, the Libre, in my opinion, is the most gratifying inexpensive short-term purchase of the options you've listed.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #29
afa
The Forgotten

That's a very interesting take it, LDB. And it makes sense; sometimes, you see situations where something (or someone, like in sports) is referred to as underrated so often, that it (he) ends up being overrated.

I agree with what you said about e-Ink technology. That's basically what I felt, as well. When I started out considering e-readers, I had actually been open to the idea of paying $259 for the Kindle or Nook, and even briefly considered the PRS-600 (back when it was still $299). I eventually and gradually lowered my price range, because I felt the same thing you said. The tech is still too young, and still leaves a fair bit to be desired. Even the screen itself - the slow refresh rate is quite a downer considering this is the 21st century, and we're used to such high quality (and fast) displays like our LCD monitors and HDTVs.

Although, I must say, this is the first time I've heard anyone say "E-Ink is crap compared to even poor print". I thought the whole hype over e-Ink was based on the idea that it's supposed to be close to print, so that statement does surprise me.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #30
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Although, I must say, this is the first time I've heard anyone say "E-Ink is crap compared to even poor print". I thought the whole hype over e-Ink was based on the idea that it's supposed to be close to print, so that statement does surprise me.
Yeah that's the hype. There are real benefits of EPDs (the screen tech of E-Ink's product), such they don't hold a candle to print in terms of real-world readability and legibility. It's mostly marketing and commonplace ignorance that unite the two.

I posted some casual snapshots of different kinds of print juxtaposed with the 505's EPD over here. Direct comparisons are pretty rare, so you might find it interesting.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 06-17-2010 at 01:37 PM.