Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Kind of rocking it

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/10/asus-s...-besides-ipad/

low competitive price along with an innovative idea hmmm now there's a thought.

Last edited by boswd; 06-10-2011 at 11:17 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I was impressed until I saw the headline "besides the iPad" considering that the only real competition was the iPad.... It will be interesting to see how well they do now that the Thrive and Galaxy are out.

Still the Epad is a great device I'm considering this or the Thrive.... But then if samsung made a 7" tablet that looked like their 10.1" I'd be all over that too.

Last edited by =X=; 06-10-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: fixed the quotation error.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I was impressed until I saw the headline "except the iPad" considering that the only real competition was the iPad.... It will be interesting to see how well they do now that the Thrive and Galaxy are out.

Still the Epad is a great device I'm considering this or the Thrive.... But then if samsung made a 7" tablet that looked like their 10.1" I'd be all over that too.
The Samsung broke my heart, they ditched the connectivity ports (usb, HDMI,sd card slot etc) just to say they have the thinnest.
I would gladdy take the extra .00008 of an inch for the extra convenience and versatility.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
InvisibleMan
InvisibleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
I was impressed until I saw the headline "except the iPad" considering that the only real competition was the iPad....
It says beside, not except - and the other important competition is the Motorola Xoom.

I own an EeePad Transformer and am absolutely in love with it. It costs the same as an iPad2, weighs almost the same, has a better screen and better cameras - and then tons of connectivity (2xUSB, microSD slot, SD slot, miniHDMI...)
The attachable keyboard is also fantastic. It turns it into a device that's actually viable for working on the go.

I can really recommend the Transformer if you're on the lookout for an Android tablet.
InvisibleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
The Samsung broke my heart, they ditched the connectivity ports (usb, HDMI,sd card slot etc) just to say they have the thinnest.
I would gladdy take the extra .00008 of an inch for the extra convenience and versatility.
I was going back and forth between the Transformer and the Samsung and this is what finally caused me to pull the trigger on the Transformer (it just arrived ).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@InvisibleMan; fixed the miss quote, but really it does mean the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Yes I agree, when where talking mm or less for thinness, I think that "thinness" is overrated.
As for convince I totally agree. That is why I like the Thrive so much. Having a USB 2.0, replaceable battery and SD card slot on the main tablet is just too convenient. It does make the Thrive the thickest of the three but where taking mm.

The Asus does address this with the keyboard(no replaceable batter but an extra battery) but that is something else we have to carry.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
boswd
Banned

Quote:
@InvisibleMan; fixed the miss quote, but really it does mean the same.

Yes I agree, when where talking mm or less for thinness, I think that "thinness" is overrated.
As for convince I totally agree. That is why I like the Thrive so much. Having a USB 2.0, replaceable battery and SD card slot on the main tablet is just too convenient. It does make the Thrive the thickest of the three but where taking mm.

The Asus does address this with the keyboard(no replaceable batter but an extra battery) but that is something else we have to carry.

=X=
I like Toshiba's laptops, this will be interesting to check out. I don't think it'll be too thick. Of course all the mainstream reviewers will go on and on about it. It''s to the point that even if you had the greatest tablet ever if it's not as thin as the iPad is not worth a look I mean serious anything under an inch is thin and everything else inconsequential.

to me the SD card slot is just a great feature, not just for memory put to pop your cards in and uploading your photo's and videos directly to your device. That's HUGE!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I was going back and forth between the Transformer and the Samsung and this is what finally caused me to pull the trigger on the Transformer (it just arrived ).
I am green with envy.

I love watching unboxing of the Asus, it's just seems soo beautiful.

Can't wait to hear your take on it.

Last edited by boswd; 06-11-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
As an ipad 2 owner, I look at the Asus Transformer and think "It's about time!"

In my humble opinion, Asus has the first product that is a serious contender. It creates the Coke vs. Pepsi debate (equivalent quality products that are reasonably priced, but appeal to different customers). Asus knew that price was important if you want to knock out the established brand that has a head start, so they priced their tablet with a $100 discount. They also knew that screen quality was important (that's the first thing that you notice on a tablet!) and they matched the ipad's ips display and upped the resolution. They also knew that they needed to offer something unique, so they created an innovative laptop dock.

To me, Samsung failed in the past with unreasonable pricing for the Galaxy Tab (even though it was a nice device). The new Galaxy Tabs are great (thin, good hardware, equivalent price) but they come off as "me too" vs. the ipad (especially with the lack of removable storage and USB) instead of fresh like the Asus.

Motorolla dropped the ball with the Xoom too. It took a long time to bring the wifi only model to market, and people already formed an opinion of them by then. Then, they didn't offer a $499 option to compete with apple. On top of all that, the sd card slot didn't even work (not sure if they fixed it yet). Finally, the screen quality is a notch below the ipad and asus screens, and the weight distribution makes it more uncomfortable to hold compared to the competition.

I see no reason to wait on a tablet now that the Asus is available. I think the Toshiba Thrive will actually join the Asus as a serious contender as well (great port options, removable battery, low price), but the Asus will still hold its own. Even the HP tablet looks to be a nice alternative, although I think it will be hard for Web OS to compete with the app selection of android or ios.

As a gadget addict, I'll ditch my bargain basement android device (Pandigital Novel) and pick up a real android tablet to compliment my ipad 2. I have no allegiance to any company, and just love a well made product. Had the Transformer been available when I bought my ipad 2, it would have been a tough decision to make!

Last edited by Noah98; 06-11-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I wouldn't be surprised if the margin was pretty darned slim on the Transformer and high on the dock. They packed a lot into the Trasformer for $399, but when you think about the dock, there's not a lot there hardware-wise. I'm sure a lot of folks are buying it anyway, though. It's nice to have a good keyboard and the extra battery makes it more tempting. It was a big selling point for me in getting the Transformer.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
As an ipad 2 owner, I look at the Asus Transformer and think "It's about time!"

In my humble opinion, Asus has the first product that is a serious contender. It creates the Coke vs. Pepsi debate (equivalent quality products that are reasonably priced, but appeal to different customers). Asus knew that price was important if you want to knock out the established brand that has a head start, so they priced their tablet with a $100 discount. They also knew that screen quality was important (that's the first thing that you notice on a tablet!) and they matched the ipad's ips display and upped the resolution. They also knew that they needed to offer something unique, so they created an innovative laptop dock.

To me, Samsung failed in the past with unreasonable pricing for the Galaxy Tab (even though it was a nice device). The new Galaxy Tabs are great (thin, good hardware, equivalent price) but they come off as "me too" vs. the ipad (especially with the lack of removable storage and USB) instead of fresh like the Asus.

Motorolla dropped the ball with the Xoom too. It took a long time to bring the wifi only model to market, and people already formed an opinion of them by then. Then, they didn't offer a $499 option to compete with apple. On top of all that, the sd card slot didn't even work (not sure if they fixed it yet). Finally, the screen quality is a notch below the ipad and asus screens, and the weight distribution makes it more uncomfortable to hold compared to the competition.

I see no reason to wait on tablet now that the Asus is available. I think the Toshiba Thrive will actually join the Asus as a serious contender as well (great port options, removable battery, low price), but the Asus will still hold its own. Even the HP tablet looks to be a nice alternative, although I think it will be hard for Web OS to compete with the app selection of android or ios.

As a gadget addict, I'll ditch my bargain basement android device (Pandigital Novel) and pick up a real android tablet to compliment my ipad 2. I have no allegiance to any company, and just love a well made product. Had the Transformer been available when I bought my ipad 2, it would have been a tough decision to make!
spot on observation I couldn't agree more.

Moto soo dropped the ball, getting in bed with Verizon and giving them exclusive first rights was a killer.

the xoom had alot of buzz following CES, if they introduced a 16G wifi only first, I think it would have been big success.

Soo good for Asus, all without any TV advertising, nor any physical store presence. Nice job indeed.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Wait until Asus discovers that madsquabbles has returned half of those shipped units.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Wait until Asus discovers that madsquabbles has returned half of those shipped units.
and I may be taking a third back. while holding it reading in my, uh, office I heard a pop and now my left is squshy under thw volume button.I was olding it one handed at the time. it's not really bad nw,but it does worryme. at least I have til july to make up m mind. the positive thing is that my light bleed lessened some.

I'm really wanting to love this tablet. ecerything was looking better after they found a siftware fix for the balance issue and another for the poor volume level.

sorry for the errors typing with honeycomb is laggy on quite a few forums.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
madsquabbles,

Do you know of any software fix for the speaker balance problem that does not require the tablet to be rooted?
I'm hesitant to go through the whole "rooting" process just to fix the speaker problem.

Everything on my Transformer is perfect, aside from the low volume from the left speaker.
I'm really enjoying it, and your dock as well!

Regards,
Eric
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #15
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: HTC Hero
There is now a very simple rooting method; you can read about it here. Otherwise I think you will have to wait for an Asus / Android fix.
lost101 is offline   Reply With Quote