Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Does NookColor have font-sizing issues?

A Nook reader recently contacted me about not being able to change the font size in one of my books. I sent her a file directly and she said it was fine. My formatter, a dedicated professional, is tearing her hair out trying to fix the issue. She thinks the NookColor has a internal problems with certain fonts like Times New Roman.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I have not had this experience at all using Nook Color using FB Reader.
My guess is that your reader is seeing this on the Nook built-in reader application with is based on ADE. ADE can be a pain because there are only xis sizes and sometimes the "biggest" is tiny.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
A Nook reader recently contacted me about not being able to change the font size in one of my books. I sent her a file directly and she said it was fine. My formatter, a dedicated professional, is tearing her hair out trying to fix the issue. She thinks the NookColor has a internal problems with certain fonts like Times New Roman.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
L.J.
I'm mildly curious about your issue with Barnes & Noble, but also mildly irked by it. I've said it before: I don't know why some ebook readers have it in for a device they don't own when it seems to me we should be making common cause. I've seen far too many threads started by you that seem to have a not-so-hidden agenda against B&N.

Full disclosure: I own a Nook. Also a Sony. Decided against a Kindle, but I see why people have them. What's the big deal?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have anything against B&N! In fact, I'm spending money to have my books reformatted so they read well on the Nook. I was just trying to see if anyone had experience with what fonts work best to upload to Nook. And I plan to buy a Nook so we can check the layout before we upload again.

No offense intended. My last thread about B&N was positive, noting the company was on the upswing.
L.J.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
L.J. can you link to the book that's having a problem and I'll download the sample and have a look at it and see what I can see.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-12-2011 at 04:30 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
L.J. Sellers
Novelist

It's Secrets to Die For. And here's the link. Thanks! I appreciate your effort.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sec...ets+to+die+for

L.J.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's Secrets to Die For. And here's the link. Thanks! I appreciate your effort.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sec...ets+to+die+for

L.J.
I just downloaded the sample and ran it in ADE. There are two issues I see right away. The first being that the cover is not displaying correctly so part of it gets cut off and secondly, the font is not changing size.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The sample was not wonderful. I've cleaned up the CSS as well as the code so it looks and reads really well. If you compare the original sample to the new sample, you'll see that it's quite nice looking and the fonts work and the cover works. I've also embedded a font. The same font that most publishers use when they embed a font. Charis SIL is the font I used. I think you'll really like the way this looks. I noticed that the CSS had code for a dropcap so I decided to give it a try and it looks pretty good.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Secrets to Die For (Detective Jackson 02) (sample).epub (1.69 MB, 180 views)

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-12-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Have you had a look at the sample I fixed up and posted in the previous message?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
L.J. Sellers
Novelist

I have now. Sorry for the delay. I sent you a response. It looks great, and I like the font. I've been looking for something new. We've also discovered that one of the issues is that I sent my files as Word 2003 instead of 08.

Well, it looks great in Firefox's e-reader. I don't have a Nook to check how it looks on that device. I may just have to buy one.
Thanks!
L.J.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have now. Sorry for the delay. I sent you a response. It looks great, and I like the font. I've been looking for something new. We've also discovered that one of the issues is that I sent my files as Word 2003 instead of 08.

Well, it looks great in Firefox's e-reader. I don't have a Nook to check how it looks on that device. I may just have to buy one.
Thanks!
L.J.
The problem is Word, not 2003 vs 08. I went in and cleaned up a lot of the mess that Word put in and added the fonts so it looks nicer then the stock ADE fonts. In the PM, I gave you a link for a diff program for Windows that will let you compare each file with the original sample''s files and see what's different. That way you will see what it is I did.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So any luck on comparing my fixed sample to the original sample?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
It's worth emphasizing what JS said he did....
He looked at the problem file in ADE (which is a free download from Adobe). This doesn't get you all the way there and using the Nook or NookStudy apps (free download from B&N) will get you slightly closer (but not all the way there - the userstyle sheets and fonts on the devices are different than the fonts on desktop computers, as well as using a different version of RMSDK for now).

However most CSS problems will show up in ADE as well, just as they did here.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote