Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-15-2008, 05:35 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Freebie e-book: Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb

I am pretty jazzed to report that Robin Hobb, one of my favorite fantasy authors, has released her novel Shaman's Crossing as a free e-book! In fact, her publisher Eos (imprint of HarperCollins) is giving away a new free e-book every two months for 2008. About the book:

Quote:
Book One of the Soldier Son trilogy, SHAMAN'S CROSSING tells the story of Nevare Burvelle, destined from birth to be a soldier.

The second son of a newly anointed nobleman, he must endure the rigors of military training at the elite King's Cavella Academy--and survive the hatred, cruelty, and derision of his aristocratic classmates--before joining the King of Gernia's brutal campaign of territorial expansion. The life chosen for him will be fraught with hardship, for he must ultimately face a forest-dwelling folk who will not submit easily to a king's tyranny. And they possess an ancient magic their would-be conquerors have long discounted...a powerful sorcery that threatens to claim Nevare Burvelle's soul and devastate his world once the Dark Evening brings the carnival to Old Thares.
You can download it in various tastes, including Adobe PDF, Microsoft LIT, and Mobipocket. Download Link (read the small print; use the coupon code EOS1).

[via FantasyBookSpot]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wait, wait wait...

...so, let me get this right...

Robin's a chick?!

Cheers,
Marc
PS. I am actually quite stoked by this news, having read and appreciated an earlier series by the author. Thanks, Alexander)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Robin's a chick?!
A small robin is, yes
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
A small robin is, yes

The Sparrow knows!

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
Question only in the USA and when you're older than 13

bit of a pity that this offer is only for people inside the USA, being older than 13 years... Why is that? Is this book to scary for people younger than 13 years? Is it unreadable outside the USA? Strange...
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

great author, great book, great news

Robin Hobb is not her real name, when she released her earlier books just her publisher known how Robin Hobb really was. Now it is more or less commonly known who Robin Hobb is.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Nice, but I already bought the e-book not too long ago. I've already read both Farseer triologies, her Tawny Man triology and the Windsinger books (which she wrote as Megan Lindholm).
As you might have guessed she is one of my favourite fantasy authors too^^
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Thanks for the link!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Ooh, I was all excited, until I saw the "only for US residents" bit :-(
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
Yep!
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Great book! Great author! Great give-away!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:15 AM   #12
tobiasj
surrounded by books
tobiasj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, PRS-500, PRS-505, Rocket e-book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I am pretty jazzed to report that Robin Hobb, one of my favorite fantasy authors, has released her novel Shaman's Crossing as a free e-book! In fact, her publisher Eos (imprint of HarperCollins) is giving away a new free e-book every two months for 2008. About the book:

You can download it in various tastes, including Adobe PDF, Microsoft LIT, and Mobipocket. Download Link (read the small print; use the coupon code EOS1).

[via FantasyBookSpot]
It is really too bad they don't support some flavor of Sony Reader compatible format. I will probably never finish reading it if I have to read it on my PC. It looks like a good story and I really like series books. (if I like the story I know there are more I can read). Oh well, maybe the reader will support protected PDF some time soon.. (well I can dream can't I?)

Maybe Fictionwise has that title, I will check there for it as well.

-John

Edit: Fictionwise does have it, about the same original price, however they do not offer it in a compatible format either (they only offer it in PDF, LIT and Mobipocket as well) Oh well. So much for that idea... The Sony store has it as well, its about a dollar more, but at least I can read it on the go...

Last edited by tobiasj; 01-15-2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Added fictionwise info.
tobiasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
I've already read both Farseer triologies, her Tawny Man triology and the Windsinger books (which she wrote as Megan Lindholm).
The Farseer books are great! Btw, it was the first of her series I read. I can also recommend her Liveship Traders trilogy.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
strugglingwriter
strugglingwriter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Which format best for Sony Reader?

I'm new here, having just received the Sony Reader 505 for Christmas (I love it). My question is this : which format of this book should I download that will work best with the Sony Reader? My guess would be the .pdf.

Thoughts?
strugglingwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #15
tobiasj
surrounded by books
tobiasj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, PRS-500, PRS-505, Rocket e-book
Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglingwriter View Post
I'm new here, having just received the Sony Reader 505 for Christmas (I love it). My question is this : which format of this book should I download that will work best with the Sony Reader? My guess would be the .pdf.

Thoughts?
As near as I can tell, none of them. It is the same concern I had a couple posts up. PDF would be the one supported, but it is protected by DRM and the reader can not open it. If you really want the title, it is available from the Sony Connect Store for about $7.00. I am going to read the first few chapters in Acrobat on my PC and if I like it purchase it from Connect.

-John
tobiasj is offline   Reply With Quote