Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #721
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Since I stopped counting this year, my goals for next year will change. I bought a lot of Delphi Classic books and I think my goal will be to complete some of those. Within 1 Omnibus, there are quite a few novels and novellas.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #722
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@pdurrant: That seems pretty reasonable. You've got a TBR that would keep you in books for about two years so adding half a year of titles seems like a good plan. Of course, this year's plan seemed good as well.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #723
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Haven't really thought about it. This was my first year of challenge, and the one thing that I very much enjoyed about it was keeping track. So that will continue. But only so-so at meeting my goals. So I'll want to be both more concrete, and more achievable, in those goals. But what they'll be? Not sure yet.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #724
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What do you do about omnibus novels? One of the book series that I often read will publish omnibus novels frequently, however the electronic ones do not come in the omnibus forms.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #725
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What do you do about omnibus novels? One of the book series that I often read will publish omnibus novels frequently, however the electronic ones do not come in the omnibus forms.
I tend to count omnibus books as one book, if they were also produced in paperback form. For example, I counted The Lord of the Rings as one book.

So long as one does it consistently, either way works, I think.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #726
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Only 55 days left for the 2012 reading challenge. Have we all decided on our challenge(s) for next year?

According to GoodReads: 73 books and 22,222 pages so far in 2012. A very productive year.
Well done on your progress. I have made one of my three challenges already (6 book-club books), and am 1 book ahead of current target in my "75 books in 2012" challenge, so I should make that one as well. I'm going to miss my "read 30 nominated titles" challenge, though I will have made a good dent in it.

However, I have no idea what challenge, if any, I will set for next year. It might just be the "read whatever the hell I want to" challenge .

Last edited by orlok; 11-06-2012 at 12:04 PM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #727
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm on my 150th book of the year, so once I'm done with this, I'll have finished my twice-increased challenge for this year.

I think I'll dedicate the rest of November and December to re-reading some books I've been wanting to re-read, maybe catch up with some short stories, read more books in general and maybe even watch a film or two.

No idea about next year's challenge. I'll probably set it to a relatively modest 120 books first and increase the goal if needed, but I'm kind of hoping to relocate my writing muse, so I'd actually rather not spend all my evenings doing nothing but reading...
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #728
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
My plans for next year is to keep tracking what I read. After reviewing the list of what I've read this year so far I noticed I've not read any classics or many non-fiction books. So, for next year I plan to read at least 1 classic a month (or a total of 12 during the year) and 6 non-fiction books.

I've selected 15 classics I can choose from, because I've read a lot of classics at university I've limited myself to either classics I haven't read yet or ones I've read before my second year at university:

1. Middlemarch - George Eliot
2. Lark Rise to Candleford - Flora Jane Thompson
3. The Circular Staircase - Mary Roberts Rinehart
4. Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe
5. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
6. A Midsummer Night's Dream - Wiliam Shakespeare
7. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
8. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
9. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
10. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
11. Beloved - Toni Morrison
12. The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
13. The Color Purple - Alice Walker
14. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcie Márquez
15. Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote

I haven't selected any non-fiction books, I've got quite a few on my TBR list so I'm just going to see what I feel like reading when I want to read a non-fiction book.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #729
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm going to set my challenge goal to 20 books from NPR's Top SF&F Nomination List and 5 Mysteries, a new genre for me. I'll likely read all the books in any series I choose unless the first book doesn't grab me. I'll keep track of the total number of books read via Goodreads but I don't need any more encouragement to read in quantity.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #730
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I am going to keep my page count challenge for next year using the average of the last two years, but I haven't decided beyond that. I will probably include another component that will provide a theme for the year. This year I read an average of one Wheel of Time book each month and then filled in with other genres to round out my reading, next year I want to do something similar, but it doesn't need to be a series, just something to tie the months together.
  • Non-fiction? I feel like I should read more non-fiction.
  • Book Club? I enjoyed the couple selections/nominations I read this year from the book club, so maybe try to read either 1/2 of the selections or at least something that was nominated each month (I probably won't purchase a book to read unless it really grabs me).
  • New series? The WoT will be done in January, so maybe I should find another long series to read or re-read which will give me something continuous to read through the year.
  • Award winning books? I haven't read much SF until recently, so maybe I should catch up on some Hugo or Nebula winners or any award really.
  • Random? Just select a random book from my TBR pile and read it regardless of my moods? It might take that to get to some of them, but I fear I would just get frustrated and abandon what would otherwise be good books.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #731
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Mine will be to end the year with fewer unread books than I started it with. I think I failed that quite badly this year.

It's not even that easy to work out what my TBR is. I guess I don't technically need to know, as LNG as I read more than I buy, but I am trying to gather all the necessary info from amazon, kobo, calibre, my old out-of-date pbook database, and the stacks of newer unread pbooks lying around.

Regarding omnibuses, in my old database I used to count them as individual items and as a collection, so the Lord of the Rings would get four entries. I thought that was the best way of tracking what I'd read, even though it meant overcounting. I can always filter out the parent collections.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #732
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

for yapyap in completing the challenge approximately a month and a half early.

My 2013 goal will be where ever I end up 2012 at.

Do you include magazines in your reading list? I am considering adding magazines to my progress. I have two magazines that I really like Foreign Affairs

and Current History

Both provide insightful, thought provoking articles on news and world affairs. I am thinking of including them in my goals.

Last edited by jbcohen; 11-07-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #733
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Thanks!

And I'm done.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #734
jbcohen
Wizard

Eight books away and a little over one month to go, will I make it? Good question. Will you make your goal?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #735
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've gone from 4 ahead to 1 behind . 10 to go and I'm beginning to doubt I'll make it...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote