Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #31
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
Congrats to you too . How long have you had your reader?
Thanks!! =) i've had it for a lil over 2 weeks, and ive gotten more reading done then than i do in months of dragging books along everywhere!

Quote:
I didn't get too much reading done, because the people near me were trying to see what I was reading and it was a bit disturbing to my concentration, as I'm a bit shy and hate to look like I'm showing off.
I know exactly what you mean you try to read and someone interrupts you, and i love my device but i do mind the attention. I usually ride the subway and i am reading with my headphones in my ears but my ipod turned off, so i think peopl assume i can't hear them. Ive heard many comments but my favorite one was a conversation btwn two individuals:
"What is that?"
"I think it's an old school pda"
" you think? Its really ugly she should get a blackberry."

At that point I looked up because I wanted to see the face of the individual that would dare call my baby ugly, and gave her this killer look... anyway..

Quote:
Anyway, I CAN see now that reading outside is amazing. I had sunglasses on and the wind was fairly howling, but no page fluttering (or ripping). No movement at all
I have not realized this fact! and thinking about it, I used to hate that and I would usually just put my book away. Also I dont have to strain my fingers having to keep the book open if i want to simply read with one hand!! Yay!

Quote:
Are you using Calibre exclusively or are you using the Sony software too? I just discovered that I can't buy from certain bookstore without the Sony software installed.
What certain bookstore are you trying to buy from? I use Calibre bc it allows you to change the metadata ( the author name and title of the book) on the sony software it doesn't allow you to do that! you can find many books in this forum under the E-book tab! so check here before you buy one. The 700 is really flexible with the format of documents, I believe the only formats you cannot use is .mobi any thing else is convertible ( you can use claibre to change the formats)
I was going to keep the sony software for the free books, but then all of those books are free anyway and can be found on this site

Have you seen other people with an ebook? I live in NYC with tons of people and i have only seen two Kindle Gen 1. I half want to bother them and take a look but they are reading half the time and its rude =T
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:55 AM   #32
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapheemail View Post

What certain bookstore are you trying to buy from? I use Calibre bc it allows you to change the metadata ( the author name and title of the book) on the sony software it doesn't allow you to do that! you can find many books in this forum under the E-book tab! so check here before you buy one. The 700 is really flexible with the format of documents, I believe the only formats you cannot use is .mobi any thing else is convertible ( you can use claibre to change the formats)
I was going to keep the sony software for the free books, but then all of those books are free anyway and can be found on this site

Have you seen other people with an ebook? I live in NYC with tons of people and i have only seen two Kindle Gen 1. I half want to bother them and take a look but they are reading half the time and its rude =T
No I haven't seen a single person here with a reader. Kind of strange, since the first readers came from Japan, (I think). Also Japan has one of the highest literacy rates in the world and every on of the hundreds of thousands of bookstores are always jam packed day and night.
A month or so ago I was on an international flight and saw an American (I think) with a Kindle sitting a few spaces away from me. I tried to see and smiled at the guy while glancing at the Kindle, (and pointing it out to my DH) but he turned his back slightly without returning the smile, and made it CLEAR that he would not be showing me his Kindle!

I tried to download a free trial book from Diesel, but could not load it on to my reader without the software. I wanted to keep the free books too, but on advice from a member here, I deleted the software again, and formatted my Sony first day...

I would like to be able to BUY book sometime though. I currently have 1620 books , but who knows when I may want another one!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #33
eljacob
eljacob began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I upgraded from a PRS-505, and at first I was really frustrated and disappointed with the PRS-700. I almost returned it to Sony.

After using it for a while, I started to realize that it do have several improvements:

- user interface: it is a matter of personal taste and getting used to, but for me the user interface of the PRS-700 is better, more logical and faster, specially do to the touch screen availability.

- faster for most operations, like turning pages and changing screen orientation.

- the screen is really much, much worst when you have a good external light. But in low light conditions the built in light of the PRS-700 makes it possible to read a book when it would be impossible with other readers (and I mean impossible, not harder).

- new features: search books by title or author, search text inside books, add highlights and notes. I have a lot off books, fiction and technical, and the search feature alone is enough for me to justify the upgrade.

Of course we all would like to see a reader with the improvements of the PRS-700 and without the step back in contrast and glare we had from the PRS-505, but until someone releases such a reader I will stick with the PRS-700.
eljacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:00 AM   #34
wanchope
Enthusiast
wanchope began at the beginning.

Device: Foxit Eslick, Mobireader on Nokia 6220c
Just search online for some pictures or videos that have the comparison of the screens of the two devices. You'll see prs 700 is a big step dowm from 505. The contrast of the screen is really low.
wanchope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #35
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Here is what it comes down to: Which features are most important to you. For me the crispness of the screen is more important, so I plan on getting a 505. Other people will find different features more important, and they will be better off with a 700 or even a Kindle, Cybook, or other competitor.

Once you know which features matter most to you, you can pick the right device. The 700 screen is better than any device that isn't E-Ink.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
505, 700, screen, sony, upgrade