Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
watch
watch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Arabic PDF on Sony PRS-505

Hi,

I am considering buying an e-reader and Sony PRS-505 reader might be the best choice for me. I might use the reader to read free English books but its main use be to read Arabic books either PDF files downloaded from the internet or other files that I convert.

I was told that be using PDF files with fonts embeded, I will be able to read Arabic. I converted one file to PDF using PDFFActory and it display well on the Sony software. Will be displaed the same on the reader or not?
The file that I used is attached to the post, can anyone try it and confirm that for me.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Amthal1.pdf (264.6 KB, 611 views)
watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The font is embedded perfectly and it is easy to read on a monitor. It is not easy to read on a Sony Reader. There seems to be no reflow on the characters as the screen size changes. What you have here is an 8.5" x 11" document that the Sony (my Sony at least) shrinks to the 6" screen.

If you could make the document 3.47" wide by 4.54" high it would work great on my Reader.

I have enclosed as an attachment a formatting guide from Sony for creating PDFs for the Reader in PDF. From what I can tell all you need to change is the page size.

I would be happy to check any additional documents you wish.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Guide for creating PDFs for the Reader rev 1.1.pdf (1,019.0 KB, 677 views)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
watch

RWood thanks for the quick response.

I will try to reformat the file whin these two days (I am in work away from home) and post it here.

But other than the size of the documnet, does the reader display the Arabic characters correctly. Can you post a picture?

Thanks
Old 11-25-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have tested other Arabic documents (PDF with embedded fonts) and it does render them correctly. Yours is a bit small to see well when compressed. I will see what I can do tomorrow for a photo of your document on the Reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
watch

Hi,
I am planning to buy Sony PRS-505 through my brother who study in USA.
Do you know if there going to be any price drop for the reader? where can I find the best prices for it?

Thanks
Advert
Old 11-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Pics of page 2
  1. Normal (portrait) view
  2. 'Medium' - i.e. reflowed
  3. Landscape - top half
  4. Landscape - bottom half
  5. Landscape - reflowed, just for completeness
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1820.JPG
Views:	776
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	18385   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1821.JPG
Views:	885
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	18386   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1822.JPG
Views:	817
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	18387   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1823.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	18388   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1825.JPG
Views:	705
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	18389  
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
watch

Hi,
RWood thanks for your help. I tried to recreate the file using the instructions in the manual but I got a large no of pages and it need fixing a lot of things. Then gwynevans posted some pictures and decided that I do not need -for the time being- to recreate the file to test it.

gwynevans thank you for posting these helpful pictures. Pictures 1, 3 and 4 are great. Pictures 2 and 5 are unusable.

I sent my brother in USA the money and he recieved it, so I am waiting for him to buy Sony PRS-505 and come home after Christmas.

Thanks alot
Old 01-07-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
KhaledG
KhaledG began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello Watch,

Did you buy the Sony PRS-505 yet or not? I'm thinking about getting one, and I had your same fears,..

Please tell me your reviews about what you have -if already have got one-.

Thanks in advance.
KhaledG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
SudanBoy
SudanBoy began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER 505
Khalid and Watch,

I have a SONY Reader and I tried to read "Qasr Elshoug" in Arabic and had some difficulty but I am sure it can be readjusted (side view). I am working on it now, but I highly recommend the Sony reader. If possible we can create a group within the forum and readjust the Arabic books for each other and possibly future reader. Thank you.
SudanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #10
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
I recommend A6 page size for 6" eReaders.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
avguy
avguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Does any of you know how to make my Sony PRS-505 to display Vietnamese unicode properly? Thanks in advance!
avguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
Does any of you know how to make my Sony PRS-505 to display Vietnamese unicode properly? Thanks in advance!
I assume you can display Vietnamese Unicode if you use the PRSCustomize. Checked out this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ese#post508724
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote