Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Which case should I buy?
Lighted Case 40 62.50%
Simple Case 24 37.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question Kindle Touch - Lighted vs simple leather cover?

I love the non-lighted one because it doesn't add bulk to the Kindle, and for me size is a big thing, the smaller/more compact the better

However, my sensible side is telling me to go for the lighted case. It just bothers me that I'm going to be bringing a bigger/heavier kindle around because of a light feature that I'm not sure how often will come in useful (but it's better to have it, in case).

So, just looking for some advice really... which should I get? Which would YOU get? Also, if you already have one what are your opinions?

Thank you!

Last edited by route66; 02-06-2012 at 11:19 AM.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I wasn't going to purchase either but was given the lighted case. It adds 1/2 inch to the height and less than 1/4 inch to width and thickness. I think it is excellent. And the light is a good thing.
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do really like the lighted case and that it is powered by the Kindle itself, I think that's ingenious! BUT, I don't know if it's worth carrying the extra weight around all the time.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I vote the simple case - if I want to have it lighted, I turn on the lights or a lamp... and unless you're going to be in the dark a lot, I see no benefit in making it the same size as the Kindle Keyboard/W lighted case.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Simple. I have a small LED headlamp (clips on like a bluetooth headset, and produces just the right amount of light for me) that works for light.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #6
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
However, my sensible side is telling me to go for the lighted case. It just bothers me that I'm going to be bringing a bigger/heavier kindle around because of a light feature that I'm not sure how often will come in useful (but it's better to have it, in case).
The lighted cover is almost the same size as the non-lighted cover and the light only adds 1.1 ounces to the weight of the cover according to the dimensions from Amazon:

Unlighted:
Product Dimensions: 7 x 5 x 0.6 inches ; 4.3 ounces

Lighted
Product Dimensions: 7.3 x 5 x 0.6 inches ; 5.4 ounces

I really recommend the lighted cover - it's extremely convenient to always have a light on hand when the need arises.

Last edited by JoHunt; 02-06-2012 at 08:59 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have the Marware non-lighted case, and would highly recommend it. It's lightweight, and provides excellent protection for the Kindle.

I have a lighted cover for my K3, but find that I never use the light, so I didn't bother with the light for the Touch.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
The lighted cover for the Touch is excellent. I got mine about a month ago and have not taken it out of the cover since. The light does a good job and it's so convenient.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
I have the simple Amazon case for the Touch and it is great for protecting the screen. The Touch just snaps in to this well designed case. I may not be the best example as I use my iPad for my nocturnal reading needs. The decision should be based on your personal situation. If you, like me, often wake up in the middle of the night and want to read for a bit before returning to sleep, is turning on a light going to bother someone else?
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
route66
Connoisseur

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's appreciated!

I am leaning towards getting the Simple cover (ever so slightly), because I'm being shallow and want it to look as small as possible, also I have small hands and the extra weight will take it's toll after reading for a long time.

I would be more likely to get the Lighted if it were easy to take the Kindle in and out, (thereby shedding the extra weight) but it pretty much gets stuck in the cases. The Simple cover is the closest I will get to feeling as though there is no case whatsoever.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
route66
Connoisseur

Also, according to amazon, the Simple is available for a limited time only - they must have plans to discontinue the product to allow the Lighted to reign supreme.

I can always get the Lighted at a later date, prices will be cheaper later as well.

If you disagree please share your thoughts I am open to suggestions/persuasion.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I have a lighted cover for the K3. When I bought it, I expected to use it rarely, and that has proven to be the case. But when I _DO_ need it, it's there. The problem with an add-on light is you can't be sure it will be there when you need it. With the built-in, it's there. And it really doesn't add all that much weight or bulk to the cover. I don't regret getting the light.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I waffled on this for a while. I had the regular case (no light) for my K2, and it did a fine job of protecting the Kindle, and when I wanted to read at night I wore my headlamp, which was a little uncomfortable where the strap came between my head and the pillow, but not too bad.

Then I got the K3 and decided to spring for the cover with the light, and I like it very much. I use it sometimes even in lit rooms, if I feel like the ambient light isn't enough, and I read in bed all the time with it. And I take the Kindle places I wouldn't ordinarily think to take a headlamp, so I end up being able to read, for example, when I'm a passenger in the car at night.

I'm not sure I can advise you which way to go, as things like "do you have a good headlamp you don't mind wearing in bed" and "do you often wind up in situations where you'd like to read but it's too dark" are pretty variable between one person and the next. But there are my thoughts on how I got along without the light and why I like having it now.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I found this thread by accident looking at polls. I don't have a Kindle but I have a lighted case for my reader (a Sony) and I love it.

However, reading your post, I voted for the simple cover for you. Weight/size seem like a big deal to you, and you might not use the light much. Go with your gut instinct!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #15
route66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
The lighted cover for the Touch is excellent. I got mine about a month ago and have not taken it out of the cover since. The light does a good job and it's so convenient.
It does look amazing - I'm just hesitant because I think it adds weight/size... Is there a big difference in size/weight with the case compared with when the kindle is 'naked' ?

I know I'm just being difficult but I get really indecisive over such things!

Thanks for your reply