Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Guess my PC is out then? just kidding

I think what we really need is a standalone USB charger that is smart enough to realise what device is connecting and make the necessary adjustments like a PC would do failing that even having manual switches could work, hopefully that would put a stop to both Sony, Apple and any other company trying to charge us separately for what's really the same thing.

Until that time however I think the best solution for myself is to have a universal charger with tips for everything. That way I can charge my ipod, psp, t1, nokia all just by changing a tip.
I have such a universal system. It's iGo. I have an iGo car charger and a wall charger. I have tips for a PSP, Blackberry (microUSB that works with the 650 & T1) & Sanyo (that works with my Rio Karma). I don't have a iPhone top as I have a separate car charger for that. But I could get an iPhone tip if I wanted.

iGo also have on-the-go battery based chargers so you can charge when not near an outlet.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #62
Laserjock
Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-350; PRS-505RC; iPhone 4
I found the Sony micro USB charger on clearance for $8.34 on the Target website.

$8.43
reg:$21.09- save $12.66 (60%)
Sony Micro USB AC Adapter for PRS350/650/950 Digital Book Reader's - Black (PRSA-AC1)

http://www.target.com/s/sony+charger...5-000011b71bd1

=Laserjock=
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #63
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Yes... the charging circuit in the reader will regulate the current drawn.... I use an old phone charger for my T1..
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #64
nickbeetz
nickbeetz has become one with the cosmosnickbeetz has become one with the cosmosnickbeetz has become one with the cosmosnickbeetz has become one with the cosmosnickbeetz has become one with the cosmosnickbeetz has become one with the cosmosnickbeetz has become one with the cosmosnickbeetz has become one with the cosmosnickbeetz has become one with the cosmosnickbeetz has become one with the cosmosnickbeetz has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony Prs T3
2 Amps to charge the Sony Prs T3

Hey Folks. Try charging your Sony T3 with a 2 amp charger, rather than a 1 amp charger, which is common for all regular USB wall chargers. In time, I would expect to see more 2 amp wall chargers become the norm. For those new to electronic devices, it is the common power/amperage for tablets. How can you determine what the charging unit puts out? Look for the "Output", or "O/P" info; the suggestion should read the watts as well. Eg, "O/P: 2A 5W MAX" With this charger I'm now see the little red light on the power switch lighting up, and the corresponding charging icon found at top right of screen. Hope this helps some of you.
nickbeetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #65
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use the one from my tablet and my old windoze phone interchangeably with no problems the circuit on the reader itself regulates the charging
Advert
Old 12-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #66
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I tried my phone's 5V/2A charger with my T1 and my PocketBook 623, and it worked for both. Thanks and karma to you!
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I tried my phone's 5V/2A charger with my T1 and my PocketBook 623, and it worked for both. Thanks and karma to you!
Most cell phone MicroUSB chargers will work. It's those wall warts with the user changeable USB cable that usually do not work aka Apple compatible.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:58 AM   #68
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
In my opinion, all USB chargers work with all USB chargeable devices. Unless the USB is non standard (Apple).

Which makes me wonder how could they circumvent the EU directive requiring a single charger (namely MicroUSB)?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #69
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
In my opinion, all USB chargers work with all USB chargeable devices. Unless the USB is non standard (Apple).

Which makes me wonder how could they circumvent the EU directive requiring a single charger (namely MicroUSB)?
That's simply incorrect. There are varying current requirements for different devices and, especially to enable fast charging, different wiring requirements.
A device that only requires only low current would not typically ship with a high current charger.

As for the EU thing, as far as I know it 1) applies only to phones, not ereaders, tablets, battery packs, etc. and 2) it's voluntary.

Last edited by ApK; 12-10-2014 at 11:34 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post

Apple is not MicroUSB. Apple has their own connector and their own USB wall warts. MicroUSB is the connector on the device being charged.

The thing is, because of Apple, some companies make their devices compatible with Apple's non-standard wall warts and some (like Sony) did not. You can make a USB cable that will work as a charge cable and will allow devices like a Sony Reader to charge from an Apple wall wart.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:05 AM   #71
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That's simply incorrect. There are varying current requirements for different devices and, especially to enable fast charging, different wiring requirements.
A device that only requires only low current would not typically ship with a high current charger.
Maybe I am wrong but I knew that the device itself takes care of its own charges, for they use LiIon batteries and they are responsible if they explode due to a wrong charger
This is concurred by the fact that I have several dozens of MicroUSB and MiniUSB devices and I can use whatever charger I want with whatever device I want, provided the cable fits the device. For instance I charge my keylock (that came with 300mA MiniUSB) with a Pioneer charger for 2A. I keep this always on, because it can provide all the current I need for tablets, cellphones etc.
Pardon me if I disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
As for the EU thing, as far as I know it 1) applies only to phones, not ereaders, tablets, battery packs, etc. and 2) it's voluntary.
And iPhone is a .... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Apple is not MicroUSB. Apple has their own connector and their own USB wall warts. MicroUSB is the connector on the device being charged.

The thing is, because of Apple, some companies make their devices compatible with Apple's non-standard wall warts and some (like Sony) did not. You can make a USB cable that will work as a charge cable and will allow devices like a Sony Reader to charge from an Apple wall wart.
I don't have any Apple products, for the simple reason that I don't freely choose a closed system, but I noticed the wall warts have USB slots. The cable indeed is different. Obviously.
In order for a new generation (older do not need it) device to charge, the data lines have to be less than 200ohm across. Older devices can charge even if connected to a PC (true data), or not. Some ask you to choose (charge, connect).
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #72
bla
E bookworm

Yeah I have used the iphone charger base with no problems so now I just take the iphone base and the various leads when traveling