Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2015, 12:33 AM   #1
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
WiFi and battery power 3.17.3

I typically keep the WiFi off on my Aura HD and only turn it on when I want to sync. I also have it set to turn off after 15 minutes of inactivity.

Am I really saving much in the way of battery power by doing this?

It is my understanding that the WiFi will turn itself off if it isn't being used.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If you leave wi-fi enabled then it will turn itself off when not in use, but it will also turn itself back on quite frequently to send data back to Kobo.

How much extra power this uses will depend a lot on how you use the device: if you just spend hours on end turning pages of a book then wi-fi will rarely be activated, but if you change the settings a lot, create annotations, sleep and wake the device frequently, etc. then wi-fi will get more use.

If you disable wi-fi then the data your activities generate are stored for later transmission.

I only enable wi-fi to sync or use the bookstore, and always disable it immediately afterwards. I think that gets me about twice the battery life I would get if I left it enabled, but it has been a long time since I left it enabled so I can't be sure.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I only enable wi-fi to sync or use the bookstore, and always disable it immediately afterwards. I think that gets me about twice the battery life I would get if I left it enabled, but it has been a long time since I left it enabled so I can't be sure.
That's the way I have been using it. If I can get twice the battery life out of it then I'll keep doing this.

Thanks.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschucha View Post
I also have it set to turn off after 15 minutes of inactivity.
I assume you mean you have it set to power the device off after 15 minutes? Not sure anyone has tested recently, but generally speaking powering off versus just sleeping the device won't save you a lot of power.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
eenk
*carrier lost*
eenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Forma, H2O v1, Aura HD
Your particlar Wifi installation will also influence how much Wifi will eat into your battery budget. Near your access point and without obstructions any wireless communication will use much less energy than when you are in a remote room, maybe on another floor and with concrete & steel in between.

It can even give you a two-fold penalty, in terms of sending power as well as in terms of sending duration, as speed may drop heavily so the radio needs to be on much longer.
eenk is offline   Reply With Quote