Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
foxyjax
foxyjax began at the beginning.

Device: prs300
Firmware Reflash of Sony PRS300 (USA to Australian)

Hi everyone

I bought a Sony eReader in Canada this year and came home to Australia to find out that I cannot use it to buy books because I do not have a Canadian or USA credit card. Can anyone tell me how I can reflash this so I can use it in Australia. Hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Jax
foxyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:02 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
You can reflash it, but first you need the firmware dumps.
If a friend of yours has Australian PRS 300, you could use PRS+ installer to first dump then flash the firmware.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
As far as I know there is no Australian version of the PRS 300.
Sony only launched the Readers here in September this year with the 350 and 650.
I was able to buy books for my PRS300 prior to that using US gift cards (bought off ebay).

Have you tried downloading the latest version of the Sony Reader software from sony.com.au?
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Why would you want to reflash it? The firmware is not region locked, you can use your reader anywhere.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
foxyjax
foxyjax began at the beginning.

Device: prs300
Hi and thanks for your replies. Igorsk, unfortunately I have spoken with Sony Australia and they have confirmed with me that the PRS-300 is locked into US/Canada. I have since bought a PRS-350 from Borders Books. Different Readers are made for different countries. I am going to try to hard reset it but am sure it won't unlock it. I have a friend in Canada who might just want to buy it off me... Many thanks again. JAx
foxyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyjax View Post
Hi and thanks for your replies. Igorsk, unfortunately I have spoken with Sony Australia and they have confirmed with me that the PRS-300 is locked into US/Canada. I have since bought a PRS-350 from Borders Books. Different Readers are made for different countries. I am going to try to hard reset it but am sure it won't unlock it. I have a friend in Canada who might just want to buy it off me... Many thanks again. JAx
"Locked" how exactly? The Sony Shop is available only in US and Canada, yes, but that has little relation to the reader itself.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The only lock is on the Sony store which is US based... buy your books from elsewhere!!!! There's a whole bunch of places listed on the forum in other threads...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote