Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update on screen dimming

Happy news: I figured out how to do the kind of backlight dimming that my SuperDim normally needs root for without root. Just tried it out on my wife's Fire and on my Archos 43. Very pleasantly surprised how easy it was. It should be much better than using ScreenFilter, since ScreenFilter doesn't dim the blacks, and in a dark setting blacks look gray.

I don't know yet if I'll make that into a paid utility or just add it as an extra feature to my SuperDim.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Keep us posted, and let us know if you need beta testers!
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Email me ( arpruss@gmail.com ). I am pretty close to a beta. (I just used the SuperDim code as my base.)

I think it will be a paid app in the end, but beta testers will have a free version (but maybe not free updates--too much trouble to send them all out).
Old 12-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
Email me ( arpruss@gmail.com ). I am pretty close to a beta. (I just used the SuperDim code as my base.)

I think it will be a paid app in the end, but beta testers will have a free version (but maybe not free updates--too much trouble to send them all out).
Email sent! I am really excited about this!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
pruss
Evangelist

OK, I have enough beta testers now (five!).
Old 12-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
tjsoundguy
Enthusiast
tjsoundguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire / Touch /Paperwhite
VERY cool! Looking forward to using this...
tjsoundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
pruss
Evangelist

The app right now has two separate sliders. A brightness slider that adjusts the backlight and a contrast slider that does exactly what ScreenFilter does. It is stable according to my testers.

I'd like to sell it for $0.99 (with a seven day trial version). :-) I wonder if Amazon will accept it for the Kindle on their appstore. It takes them about a week to approve an application for the appstore, and then I don't know how many more days to accept it for the Kindle. Maybe I can accept paypal payments in the meanwhile, though advice would be appreciated.

I still need to add one more feature, namely access from the notification bar.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
The app right now has two separate sliders. A brightness slider that adjusts the backlight and a contrast slider that does exactly what ScreenFilter does. It is stable according to my testers.

I'd like to sell it for $0.99 (with a seven day trial version). :-) I wonder if Amazon will accept it for the Kindle on their appstore. It takes them about a week to approve an application for the appstore, and then I don't know how many more days to accept it for the Kindle. Maybe I can accept paypal payments in the meanwhile, though advice would be appreciated.

I still need to add one more feature, namely access from the notification bar.
I'd have no problem paying 99 cents for it. I don't know if Amazon will approve it but I guess it couldn't hurt to try. There are other markets like SlideME and AndriodPit also sell apps so you might want to look into those.

I am so looking forward to the Notification bar access being added.

Thank you for developing this app. It's much needed for all us Kindle Fire users!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
pruss
Evangelist

Thanks for the kind words. I was very happy to get this working, since there are a lot of users who for legal or technical reasons don't root their device and for whom my SuperDim, which requires root (but it's free!), isn't helpful. I rolled ScreenDim together quickly yesterday by re-using much of SuperDim code.

Something I'd like to add if I could figure out how would be a screen tint feature. I know it can be done because there is a paid version of something in the Market like the Fader utility (or whatever it's called) that does it. (But it also doesn't adjust brightness, just contrast.)

It's nice that on the Kindle the notification bar shows up in most apps. On my Archos 43, it disappears in most apps.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm testing this right now and it's looking really good. I don't know about the need for a "tint" feature though - seems like this is something best kept basic, simple and cheap.

BTW what are some of the problems/conflicts that people have had with SuperDim? I'd like to be able to try to replicate them on my device with ScreenDim and I know people have had some conflicts. So far, ScreenDim seems to be working flawlessly.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I'm testing this right now and it's looking really good. I don't know about the need for a "tint" feature though - seems like this is something best kept basic, simple and cheap.

BTW what are some of the problems/conflicts that people have had with SuperDim? I'd like to be able to try to replicate them on my device with ScreenDim and I know people have had some conflicts. So far, ScreenDim seems to be working flawlessly.
I don't know of problems with conflicts with SuperDim, except that it does need root. Unless the fact that some apps can override SuperDim counts as a conflict. I think ScreenDim may be harder to override.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
weatherman
Addict

I thought Blossom (or maybe it was someone else) ran in to an issue with SuperDim that required her to reboot at some point. It was in a different thread.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
tjsoundguy
Enthusiast
tjsoundguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire / Touch /Paperwhite
I'd definitely pay .99 or even 1.99, considering how often I would use this feature. I've been reading before sleep a lot now, thanks to the Fire. Reading without waking my wife is a good thing!
tjsoundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I thought Blossom (or maybe it was someone else) ran in to an issue with SuperDim that required her to reboot at some point. It was in a different thread.
I searched for "SuperDim" site-wide and didn't find it.

SuperDim is completely different from ScreenDim in how it gets the device to dim the backlight. ScreenDim is a more elegant and, I think, simpler solution. But I'm going to continue using SuperDim on my rooted Archos (Archos releases developer edition software that makes rooting easy).

Last edited by pruss; 12-18-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I'd pay as well.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote