Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Rereading Previous Pages - A Pain in the Butt?

I often find myself hunting back in books for sections that explained something relevant to what I'm currently reading. Often it's a character description (who the heck is this person again?) or a past event (what happened 30 years ago that they're talking about now?)

I find this much more difficult to do on my Nook because I can't page back very quickly (e-ink refresh). I can go to a specific page which is somewhat helpful if I know roughly where in the book the explanation is, but that's not always the case.

Last night I found the section I wanted (by slowly paging back) and bookmarked it thinking that I might want to find it again. But I doubt I'll generally have enough foresight to be bookmarking important passages during my initial read of them.

Anyone else struggle with this?
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Can you use search to find the passage? If you search using the character's name or a phrase you remember, it might be easier to find than paging back.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
that's why I didn't get a Nook - page refreshes are too slow. I often find my self wanting to look back for something and if it's 10 pages or less back it only takes a few seconds to page back. If not, I just search back to find what I need - although you may want to bookmark where you currently are first to get back easily.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Why flip pages when you can search for text?
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
because if I know it's only a couple of pages back it's actually quicker than searching. anything else I do use the search
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I did the search thing once and after I figured it out I found it to be easier than hunting through a pbook. Maybe I was just lucky
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I don't know how other readers work but the Nook search finds one instance at a time - forwards or backwards through the text. That would definitely work in some cases.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Can you bookmark pages? I know this is impractical if the search back is from a question that came out of the blue from a new paragraph. At least you might be able to get to the pages that you know you want to reference in the future.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I usually either bookmark the page with information I know I'll come back for. I also use search and go to page option which I don't think take that long. Today I searched for the paragraph I highlighted in the book using a keyword then I bookmarked it once I found it. I don't highlight or make note often but one thing I'd like for the firmware update next time is to be able to just go to highlights and notes and have all my highlights and notes from the book in one spot like how the bookmark work.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstitious View Post
I usually either bookmark the page with information I know I'll come back for. I also use search and go to page option which I don't think take that long. Today I searched for the paragraph I highlighted in the book using a keyword then I bookmarked it once I found it. I don't highlight or make note often but one thing I'd like for the firmware update next time is to be able to just go to highlights and notes and have all my highlights and notes from the book in one spot like how the bookmark work.
That already exits. While in the book click menu then select "View My Notes and Marks".
Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That already exits. While in the book click menu then select "View My Notes and Marks".
hm.... I just tried that I can't seem to find "view my notes and marks". You said to do that while I'm reading right? Well, I only have these options; find, go to, bookmarks, fonts, highlights and notes, look up word, and open audio player. Am I missing something here? Is it hidden somewhere?

Edit: I was talking about the Nook. Are you talking about the Nook or something else?

Last edited by superstitious; 09-06-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
hm.... I just tried that I can't seem to find "view my notes and marks". You said to do that while I'm reading right? Well, I only have these options; find, go to, bookmarks, fonts, highlights and notes, look up word, and open audio player. Am I missing something here? Is it hidden somewhere?
I'm still using my K2 as I don't have my K3 yet. I see from the online User Guide it works a bit differently on K3.

Quote:
To perform a search:

1. Type in your search term, the Search line will automatically appear. You can use whole words or partial words, and no distinction is made between lower and upper case. You can enter up to 255 characters.

Illustration of search input field on Kindle.

2. Move the 5-way to the right to highlight the content or location to search and press the 5-way to select. The arrow indicates that more Search options are available if you scroll in the direction indicated.

Illustration of search options available on Kindle

Types of Searches

Here's a quick description of the available search options:

* Find: Searches the item you're currently reading for the search term(s).
* My Items: Searches all of your content (including text, metadata and annotations in downloaded items, archived items, personal documents, and local reference materials) for the search term(s).
* Store: Searches for your term(s) in the titles, descriptions, and content of items available for purchase from the Kindle Store.
* Google: Searches Google.com for indexed websites containing the search term(s).
* Wikipedia: Searches Wikipedia.com for entries containing the search term(s).
* Dictionary: Searches your default dictionary on your Kindle for the search term(s).

Viewing Search Results

Kindle displays a Search Results page when the requested search is completed. Use the Next Page and Previous Page buttons if there are more results than fit on the current page. If your results contain a specific item or website, you'll be able to underline and select specific items using the 5-way controller.

My Items

Kindle displays all titles that contain your search term(s) and shows total instances for your term(s) in each item to the left of the title. To see all results for a specific title, select it with the 5-way controller.

Illustration of available search results on Kindle

After you select a specific title from the search results or if you limited your search results to a specific title originally, you'll see a results page that displays all the locations where the search term(s) appear. You can select and view the locations listed using the 5-way controller. Use the Back button to return to your results page.

Illustration of reading location entries from search results on Kindle
Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:

Edit: I was talking about the Nook. Are you talking about the Nook or something else?
Sorry, I saw your device listed as Kindle WiFi, so I responding based on that.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #14
superstitious
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Sorry, I saw your device listed as Kindle WiFi, so I responding based on that.
No Problem! Good to know though so I can be ready when my K3 arrives. Anytime now!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #15
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Yeah, I just noticed this today.

It is a little annoying. But at least on books on the my e-reader (K3) you can skip chapters easily, so that helps. (Some you can't though, even if it has a TOC, it's a mystery...)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote