Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

saving web pages as .txt files ?

hello all ,

while browsing the web i usually save the articles i found interesting as .txt files .
my question will the .txt files i have created fit the sony reaader or do i have to do some modification ?
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They ought to work just fine, bugsbunny14, we didn't have to do anything to RTF's, so I can't imagine that you'd have to for TXTs.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2006, 04:20 AM   #3
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur

thanks natch
is there a way i can save web pages directly as .rtf files ?

Last edited by bugsbunny14; 10-03-2006 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should at minimum be able to copy them into Word (maybe OpenOffice?) and save them as an RTF that way....

I don't believe the Reader supports in-line images in an RTF, so it may not be much use.

I don't know of anything that'll give you RTF's straight from the browser, but that doesn't mean there isn't something.

I'm also hoping for an addon like there used to be (and still is) for the Librie' that will let us print directly from a browser into an LRF file that can go straight onto the Reader. For all I can tell at the moment, the old Librie' toolbar thingy will work just fine for the Reader. Won't know 'til I can experiment.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
You should at minimum be able to copy them into Word (maybe OpenOffice?) and save them as an RTF that way....
Check the other thread here for some conversion tool advice. htmltortf does a pretty good job.

Quote:
I'm also hoping for an addon like there used to be (and still is) for the Librie' that will let us print directly from a browser into an LRF file that can go straight onto the Reader. For all I can tell at the moment, the old Librie' toolbar thingy will work just fine for the Reader. Won't know 'til I can experiment.
Where can I get the Librie toolbar? I'm willing to experiment.

Also, don't tell me that *you* didn't get a Reader yet! I hope the hordes of Mobilereaders didn't prevent you. You've been the one consistent cheerleader/fan of this device since its announcement, and it would truly be tragic if you weren't able to get your hands on one.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur

that's an excellent tool , thanks alot bingle
Old 10-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
Check the other thread here for some conversion tool advice. htmltortf does a pretty good job.
Thanks, Bingle, I saw that later (after my post, I mean), but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Quote:
Where can I get the Librie toolbar? I'm willing to experiment.
There are a lot of tools on the Yahoo Librie' group, but you have to join to play. I just looked over there (been a bit busy, lately, somehow) and there seems to be a lively discussion going on about formatting for the Reader.

Quote:
Also, don't tell me that *you* didn't get a Reader yet! I hope the hordes of Mobilereaders didn't prevent you. You've been the one consistent cheerleader/fan of this device since its announcement, and it would truly be tragic if you weren't able to get your hands on one.
I would never try to tell you such a thing! No, the hordes of my MobileReading Fellows haven't prevented me but, alas, the USPS hurries for no man.

I freely admit that I love the Reader, and want others to know all about it too (my wife is heartily sick of listening to me go on about it), but I like to think I'm candid about its limitations too. I hope I am, anyway, I try to be.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
There are a lot of tools on the Yahoo Librie' group, but you have to join to play. I just looked over there (been a bit busy, lately, somehow) and there seems to be a lively discussion going on about formatting for the Reader.
I didn't join (yet), but they link to a wiki with info about the toolbar and other addons: here .
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Nice, Michele, you clearly belong here! Thanks!
Old 10-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
I didn't join (yet), but they link to a wiki with info about the toolbar and other addons: here .
Well, I joined, finally (insert rant about Yahoo and choosing a unique account name).

The toolbar for Librie looks promising, although it's in Japanese. I found a translation for the buttons, so I'll try that out when I get home.

I was also intrigued by Printer for Librie, which can take "any document" and turn it into a BBeB (probably just by printing each page to an image, though). Sadly, it won't install unless you have a Librie.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Sadly, it won't install unless you have a Librie.
Well, nuts. I was hoping to get some milage out of that one. Maybe someone will adapt it?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I found a way to install it without having a Librie. I will have a guide up shortly.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, here we go.
  1. Run Printer for LIBRIe installer (setup.exe)
  2. Wait until it displays an error messagebox (it says you need to have Librie connected):

Don't click it away yet.
  3. Go to Control Panel and open Printers and Faxes.
  4. Click "Add a printer" in the panel on the left or choose File|Add printer
  5. Click "Next".
  6. Choose (o) Local printer and deselect [ ] Automatically detect and install my PnP printer. Click "Next".
  7. From the list of ports choose "FILE:". Click "Next".
  8. On the driver list screen, click "Have Disk..."
  9. In the "Install From Disk" dialog, click "Browse..."
  10. In the filename field, type %temp% and press Enter or click "Open".
  11. In the list of folders choose the one that has a name of format "{XXXXXXXX-XX....XXXX}". If you have several, switch to details view, sort by "Date Modified" and choose the most recent one. There will be another folder, go inside it too.
  12. Choose bbeb.inf and click "Open".
  13. Click "OK" to close "Install From Disk" dialog. "Printer for LIBRIe" should appear in the list.
  14. Keep clicking "Next" and "Finish" to install the printer.
  15. You can now click away the installer's error message.

Recommented default settings.
  1. Right-click your new printer and choose "Printing preferences".
  2. From "Paper size" choose "LIBRIe".
  3. On the "Other" tab, set "Color" to "Grayscale" and "Output to memory stick" to "OFF".
  4. If you set "Output size" to "2Size fit", each page will be rotated 90 degrees and split in two.

When printing to Printer for LIBRIe, you will be asked for a filename to save the result to. Make sure you add .lrf extension to it so that Reader will recognize it as a BBeB book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t.gif
Views:	2400
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	1685  
Old 10-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #14
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Igor,

cool tutorial. Also one copy LIBRIe printer driver files from %temp% directory and use it later.

Another note, when you print to LIBRIe Printer, it seems to create picture version of the page, it didn't look too good though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #15
igorsk
Wizard

List of driver files:
bbeb.chm
bbebgd.dll
bbebui.dll
librie.dll
bbeb.inf

And yes, it prints a picture. You could try playing with the "paper" size, I think the screen size is a little different in Reader.