Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
manifestor
Connoisseur
manifestor began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader, Aluratek Libre Pro
Broke after internal storage memory formatted as fat32

It's been terrible nightmare trying to get it to read Chinese books...and it now dies on me.

I went from 15k to 33h to 33k to M218A++ firmwares...and between things I formatted the internal memory of the reader. I chose fat32 and after that my computer can't recognize my reader anymore. And when I boot up the reader, it shows 0KB for both the SD card and the internal memory. Then it hanged.

I guess it's got something to do with my messing with the internal storage file system. Is there anything I can do apart from sending it back? Thanks.

Last edited by manifestor; 02-04-2010 at 05:10 PM.
manifestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Wait, what? How exactly did you format the internal memory? What does it do after you reset and turn it back on?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #3
manifestor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Wait, what? How exactly did you format the internal memory? What does it do after you reset and turn it back on?
I formatted it in Windows. Right click > format > fat32, default allocation.

Then I disconnected the reader (eject device on taskbar > unplug). Since then I couldn't connect the reader to my PC anymore ("device malfunction" error) and no matter what firmware I flashed onto it, the setting menu showed 0KB on both internal memory and SD card.

Last edited by manifestor; 02-05-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:05 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Are you flashing from an SD card? If not try that. If you are, the JB must be seeing
more than 0KB on the SD card.

If you can get to the settings menu, the JB must be alive enough for the SD card
flashing routine to kick in.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it recommended to use Windows to format the internal memory? I'm a bit puzzled here. So... again, what happens when you turn it on?
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Before you make any more changes

Before you make any more changes please run the diagnostics mode and test your internal memory. Then restore the unit to factory defaults as this will set the unit up as if it was just manufactured.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
manifestor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Are you flashing from an SD card? If not try that. If you are, the JB must be seeing
more than 0KB on the SD card.

If you can get to the settings menu, the JB must be alive enough for the SD card
flashing routine to kick in.

Luck;
Ken
Yes, of course. I know it's weird, but the Libre is showing 0KB for both. And even though the SD card is loaded with books, it shows the card is empty and none of the books is detected.

The funny thing is, I can still do the flashing routine with my SD card but no matter how and what I flash onto the reader, I just can't connect it again with my pc. And the Libre continues to show 0KB for both kinds of storage.

It's not totally dead, but I cannot read any book on it now. So it's officially broke. Anyway, I'm sending it back. Enough with the headache. Stupid me.

Last edited by manifestor; 02-05-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
manifestor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Is it recommended to use Windows to format the internal memory? I'm a bit puzzled here. So... again, what happens when you turn it on?
I wonder. Probably not. And guys, learn from my mistake and don't even attempt to format the internal memory. At least not until there's an official solution to this kind of lock up.

Last edited by manifestor; 02-05-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
manifestor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
Before you make any more changes please run the diagnostics mode and test your internal memory. Then restore the unit to factory defaults as this will set the unit up as if it was just manufactured.
I tried that and that didn't help either. It's as hopeless as can be.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
Kralik
Guru

Don't give up yet. Can you get to the self-test menu? There's a "restore factory default" option there that is different from the one in the normal menu system. It does in fact reformat the filesystem for you.

If you can still flash, then flashing back to jetBook 0.33g and running both Option 7. Restore Factory Default and 13. Reflash NOR should take care of things.

I doubt that flashing to alternate firmwares, especially when Aluratek has built-in checks to stop you from doing so, is covered by warranty. At least IMO, you can't with a good conscience return it for refund if you have been "tampering" with it.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:39 AM   #11
manifestor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Don't give up yet. Can you get to the self-test menu? There's a "restore factory default" option there that is different from the one in the normal menu system. It does in fact reformat the filesystem for you.

If you can still flash, then flashing back to jetBook 0.33g and running both Option 7. Restore Factory Default and 13. Reflash NOR should take care of things.

I doubt that flashing to alternate firmwares, especially when Aluratek has built-in checks to stop you from doing so, is covered by warranty. At least IMO, you can't with a good conscience return it for refund if you have been "tampering" with it.
How can I start the reader in the aforementioned diagnostic mode and get to the self-test menu you mentioned? Thanks for being patient with me, I'm a dummy with these things.

Update, 6 Feb:
I followed what you told me and flashed it back to 33g. Then I searched the forum and learned to get into the diagnostic menu by pressing menu and zoom button simultaneously while powering on the reader. Then I "restore factory default" there like you guys told me to. It's now OK and the internal storage is back and the content in the SD card can be loaded. Thanks so much to you guys. You are even more helpful than the Aluratek technical support.

Last edited by manifestor; 02-07-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
Kralik
Guru

Fantastic! Now if you want you can go back to the Libre firmware, or if you are brave you can try the Chinese firmware again. Or stick with jetBook, just to be safe.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
manifestor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Fantastic! Now if you want you can go back to the Libre firmware, or if you are brave you can try the Chinese firmware again. Or stick with jetBook, just to be safe.
Yay, I'm really happy that I don't need to send it back now.

I'm now using the Chinese M218A++ v27 firmware and it's brilliant for my purpose. I have tons of Chinese txt fictions and I can now read them on my Libre. Comparing the Libre with the Hanlin v3 (Astak EZreader) I already have, I actually like the Libre more. I gotta admit the reflective TFT looks better than e-ink. I was pretty happy with my Hanlin v3 before I got the Libre, and now I think the Hanlin v3 looks a little fuzzy. And my eyes feel more comfortable looking at the Libre's higher contrast screen.

And one more surprise, the Libre is noticeably snappier than the Hanlin v3 when it comes to loading and flipping pages in pdf files. I'm not just talking about the screen reflash thing, I'm talking about the reader's responses overall.

But I still gotta give credit to the Hanlin v3 for its impeccable format support and the ease of firmware swapping.

Now I wonder why the industry don't use this kind of reflective TFT more often when they manufacture the ebook readers. It's brilliant technology.

Last edited by manifestor; 02-07-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Good News

I am glad getting into diagnostic mode got you back up and running.

The group of people here are pretty smart and figured we could get you back up and running again
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote