Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Salinger
Salinger began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hi from Toronto

I'm in the process of deciding which reader to buy, or if I should in fact give it a while as there seems to be more and more everyday.

I've been doing tonnes of research, and came across MobileRead! What a great community.

Just wanted to say Hi! For now, I'm going to start browsing around and, I'm sure, get some valuable info to help me make my decision.
Salinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Salinger there is a wealth of info here, enjoy
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Hi Salinger,

What's the matter with the Argos?

If you have the patience to wait until after the CES show in Las Vegas in early January, you will have a much better idea of what devices will be in the pipeline for the next six months.

The problem is that no matter how long you wait, you can be sure that something better and cheaper will be available another six months down the road.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hey Salinger, MobileRead policy is that no Canadians are allowed to join MR until you stop sending those Alberta Clippers down here!

Shoot, I didn't think you'd fall for that one. Anyway, welcome to MobileRead. I've had a Sony 505 for close to two years now and really like it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Hi and welcome to MobileRead!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Welcome from the west coast to MobileRead Salinger.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Salinger

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

@GA Russell, the Argos? Do you really follow the CFL? If so, that's more than I do, though live games are fun.

@cassidym, we just got hit with our first snow fall of the season thanks to a low pressure system from Colorado, shall we just call it even? LOL!

Have to say, I'm a little overwhelmed with all the info I've discovered here so far. I was leaning toward a Sony reader previously ...but now maybe a Kindle. ...but the Sony lets me borrow free eBooks from the library ....but the Kindle has a bigger selection of books to buy ...but not all books are available in Canada and they cost $2 more ....but that's often still cheaper than the Sony eBook store

....but but but Ugh, I need to do some more reading to make a decision as I'd like to have something for when I travel over the holidays.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've had a Sony 505 for close to two years now and really like it. And I routinely borrow eBooks from my local library. That is a nice feature.

And you are right about having one to travel with.

Be sure and let us know what you finally decide to do.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinger View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

@GA Russell, the Argos? Do you really follow the CFL? If so, that's more than I do, though live games are fun.
Salinger, the CFL is my favorite! I listen to all of the games on the internet. That was a heck of a Grey Cup game. I hope you got to see it.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Salinger

Just an update, I found a 505 online at Future Shop, and pulled the trigger.

Afterward, I had a quick case of the buyers, well not so much remorse, more "uncertains", and what do you know, I bought a 600 as well. It should be here by Friday.

I'm going to check out both and see which I prefer and which I can see myself using more long-term, then I'll just return the other.

I'm probably being overly cautious. I checked the 600 out in-store and it seemed great, but I've heard in everyday use, the glare and contrast issues are more noticeable. I figure by having both at home for a day or two, I'll have a better indication of which I prefer in my own personal situation.

Last edited by Salinger; 12-16-2009 at 08:18 PM.