Notices

Old 09-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #1
Arkadian
Connoisseur
Arkadian began at the beginning.

Device: none
Paragraph title in one page, text in the next

H there,

not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I shall try anyway...

When converting my ebook from LO docx to epub, the titles of the paragraphs have lost the property they had on LO so that some of the text would always be with the heading on the same page. Obviously this happens depending on the font size, so it moves from here to there.

In the editor it always looks fine, but then when I look at the book on my iPad using iBooks, that's when I see the problem.

Is there an easy way to solve this issue?

TIA

Last edited by Arkadian; 09-12-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Arkadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Fire up the editor and fix it in the code of the ePUB. If you can give some code and explain what you want, we can perhaps help you out.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
Arkadian
Connoisseur

Ah, Ok. Sorry about that... didn't think it was necessary.

Here is an example:

Code:
	<ol class="list_1">
	<li class="block_21" value="247"><span class="text_">Per concludere non si può tralasciare il fatto che dare con regolarità biberon di tisane o bevande zuccherate significa abituare un neonato di 0+ mesi a un gusto dolce. Non ci si deve stupire se poi, crescendo, chiederà sempre cose dolci... Un esempio? Se un bambino prende una </span><span class="text_7">merenda frutta e yogurt</span><span class="text_">*della Plasmon (della quale parleremo più ampiamente in un </span><a href="Yogurt_016.html#id_toc1188" class="text_13">capitolo successivo</a><span class="text_">) e 150 ml della </span><span class="text_7">tisana della Milupa</span><span class="text_">, solo con questi due prodotti avrà ingerito senza neanche accorgersene circa 27*g di </span><a href="Zucc_agg_013.html#id_toc915" class="text_13">zucchero aggiunto</a><span class="text_">, ovvero oltre 5 bustine di zucchero.</span></li>
</ol>
	<h2 id="id_RefHeading__52483_472593991" class="block_17">subheading title goes here</h2>
	<ol class="list_1">
	<li class="block_10" value="248">blah blah blah.</li>
</ol>
	<p class="block_34"></p>
In case it is needed, it starts off from the previous paragraph, then we have the title and then more text.

This is a similar example, but with h3:

Code:
	<ol class="list_1">
	<li class="block_48" value="306">La differenza negli ingredienti tra il Sapore di Natura e gli altri si riduce a una maggiore presenza di carne e all'assenza di farina di riso. Se invece paragoniamo le tabelle nutrizionali troviamo, com'è logico aspettarsi, un aumento di proteine nel <i class="calibre4">Sapore di Natura</i> proporzionale alla maggiore quantità di carne. I carboidrati, anzi gli amidi, data la quasi totale assenza di zuccheri, sono invece identici per cui la farina di riso deve essere stata sostituita da una corrispondente quantità di amido di mais. Tutto questo per dire che gli omogeneizzati <i class="calibre4">di</i> carne <i class="calibre4">Sapori di Natura</i> e gli omogeneizzati <i class="calibre4">con</i> carne Plasmon e Mellin da un punto di vista degli ingredienti e nutrizionale sono fondamentalmente identici, solo che in quelli <i class="calibre4">con</i> carne è stato usato un cavillo per utilizzare una quantità di carne inferiore a quella consentita per legge, senza però farlo sapere al consumatore che quindi non è messo nella condizione di scegliere con criterio.</li>

<h3 id="id_RefHeading__52414_472593991" class="block_31">Acqua di cottura</h3></ol>
	<ol class="list_1">
	<li class="block_21" value="307"><span class="text_16">Come sappiamo, sulla confezione gli ingredienti sono elencati in ordine decrescente di quantità, quindi negli omogeneizzati di/con carne precedentemente descritti l'ingrediente di maggior peso è l'acqua di cottura, la quale deve necessariamente essere pari almeno al 50% del prodotto totale (vedremo </span><a href="Yogurt_016.html#id_toc1188" class="text_2">successivamente</a><span class="text_16"> come calcolare queste cifre). </span></li>
The reason why the </ol> tag is before the h2 headline and after the h3, is because like that I can change the position of the headline itself (left justified with h2 and slightly more to the right with h3), as this setting was pretty much lost when moving from LO docx to epub.

Making any sense?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Arkadian - In Word if the Header paragraph style has Keep with Next checked then after a DOCX->EPUB it wont be split from the following paragraph. LO should have a Keep with Next attribute on Paragraph styling, see attachment - its from AO but LO should be v similar.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	para style flow.png
Views:	186
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	128224  

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-12-2014 at 09:23 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
Arkadian
Connoisseur

I did have it... in fact I didn't have this problem at all within LO.
However, it doesn't seem to hold true here, at least not in my iPad/iBooks...
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do the CSS styles used for the header have something like

Code:
.block_ {
    display: block;
    page-break-inside: avoid;  /* IS THIS PRESENT IN THE STYLE USED FOR HEADER */
    text-align: justify;
    text-indent: 14.2pt;
    padding: 0;
    margin: 0 0 6pt
    }
BR
Old 09-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IIRC EPUB has lots of problems with LI

AND

value= is not supported AT ALL
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Arkadian
Connoisseur

@BR
no, it is NOT there. It is present in other "block_ " bits within the stylesheet, but not in those ones. I am going to add it on and see what happens.

Just to be clear, I didn't decide any of that. Calibre during conversion decided to use what where.

@theducks,
I have noticed that within the editor whether or not I had "value= " made no difference at all to the text being displayed, but since it was there, I left it in...
didn't understand the other bit

Thanks again
Old 09-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadian View Post
@theducks,
I have noticed that within the editor whether or not I had "value= " made no difference at all to the text being displayed, but since it was there, I left it in...
didn't understand the other bit

Thanks again
You mean the part where EPUB does not play well with (any ordered) LI items?
Old 09-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
Arkadian
Connoisseur

OK, things are starting to make sense...

What seems to have happened, is that Calibre has a gazillion "block_ " things to choose from, all very similar, and it seems to choose whatever he likes... Take the ordinary text, for example... it pretty much changes from chapter to chapter and even within the chapter, without me seeing a discernible pattern as to why this is happening. So for example, I have found two instances when within the text I had "page-break-inside: avoid;", so the text hadn't been split and a new page started way too early.

So, what I will do is to go (AGAIN) through all the various chapters and try to get the relevant bits to be more uniform.
I do wonder though if the "page-break-inside: avoid;" bit is going to help my cause... What I want is not only for the title not to be split between two pages, but also for part of the text to go with the title before we move onto a new page.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
Arkadian
Connoisseur

@theducks,
actually the LI elements look overall fine to me.

What I meant is that I didn't/don't know what the "value= " is supposed to do... Wheter it is there, not there or if I change it... nothings seem to change, like in this bit:

Code:
<ol class="list_1">
	<li class="block_48" value="306">blah blah
Old 09-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
@theducks,
actually the LI elements look overall fine to me.

What I meant is that I didn't/don't know what the "value= " is supposed to do... Wheter it is there, not there or if I change it... nothings seem to change, like in this bit:

Code:
<ol class="list_1">
	<li class="block_48" value="306">blah blah
I think value= is to force the starting value (306 in this case)
(used to be start=)

You are probably better off faking Ordered Lists (with a p or div) because they will end up failing on some readers
Old 09-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #13
Arkadian
Connoisseur

@TD, Calinre seems to have renderred some with "li", others with a p. I think none with a div.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
@BR
no, it is NOT there. It is present in other "block_ " bits within the stylesheet, but not in those ones. I am going to add it on and see what happens.

Just to be clear, I didn't decide any of that. Calibre during conversion decided to use what where.
Yes I understand that - the CSS fragment I posted was created via a DOCX->EPUB conversion which had the Keep with Next flag set (in Word)

I'll attach a zip with the DOCX and EPUB - the 2nd & 4th lines have the Keep with Next flag set

If you have lots of within paragraph styling in LO - eg italics, bold, font changes, colour changes etc you will get lots of CSS styles. If you have lots of individual paragraph styling with slight differences eg indent 1cm here, 1.1cm somewhere else, and 0.9 cm in other place then they will each generate a CCS entry. In LO you should try to style by name, and keep you mouse away from the rulers - its easy to get a slightly different position for the guides.

BR
Attached Files
File Type: zip Hello World.zip (29.2 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-12-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
Arkadian
Connoisseur

So I see... never mind... for now I'll attach it manually and see what happens.

Thanks, BR.