Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Affiliate Links for "arcadata"- August 2013

Here's the new thread for August (*here's a link to my July thread to check out the last bargains I posted there)

Quote:
Okay, so you may know me since I posted a lot of free and bargain books in this forum. I did add affiliate links to my posts before (the links may look like this-> http://www.amazon.com/Fifth-Woman-Wa...ag=arcadata-20), but I've been told that isn't allowed anymore in the main forum. I'll be allowed to continue to post my affiliate links in this personal thread though.

Basically, what happens is that I earn referral fees (starts at 4%) whenever a visitor follows my link to Amazon.com (or other sites) and then makes a qualifying purchase. It was a pretty good incentive for me to spend time here sharing any deals I found since I would get extra money per month to spend on books & apps!

So, hopefully, if you don't mind me getting a commission, you'll come visit this thread and click on my links when you're planning to buy something!
And here's the deal(s) for August 1!

----

FYI, For UK Kindlers:

The Amazon 100 Kindle Books for £2.99 or Less is a continuing promo for Amazon UK.

Quote:
We've pulled together a selection of 100 Kindle books, each for £2.99 or less, to make it easier for you to discover and try a new book or author. We'll be adding new books from time to time and titles may vary, so make sure to check back often. There's also the Kindle Daily Deal, which features a new Kindle book deal every day.
Divergent (Divergent, Book 1) by Veronica Roth from HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Deal of the Day (August 1) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "Divergent is a brilliant read, I loved the new ideas and the new world that had been created".

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.
One Pink Line by Dina Silver from Amazon (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Romance Daily Deal (August 1) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "Women everywhere should read this book...A very funny, easy, heart warming read!"

Can the love of a lifetime be forever changed by one pink line?
Sydney Shephard, a sweet-tempered college senior, is in love with an exceptional man and ready to start a future with him. Yet, one night, she makes an irrevocable decision that forces her to relinquish her youth and risk losing the love of her life.

Then there’s Grace, a fifth grader, whose world is turned upside down when she makes a shocking discovery, leaving her with profound and puzzling questions about who she really is.

Spanning generations and every imaginable emotion, One Pink Line reveals how two points of view can be dramatically at odds, but perhaps ultimately reconciled. Simultaneously deeply felt and lighthearted, the story deftly mines the redemptive power of love, and how doing the right thing and living honestly can bring unexpected, hard-won happiness.
Nothing to Envy: Real Lives In North Korea by Barbara Demick from Granta Books (£1.09) is the Amazon UK Kindle History Daily Deal (August 1) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "Once I started reading Nothing to Envy I couldn't put it down...I'd definitely recommend this book."

A National Book Award finalist and National Book Critics Circle finalist, Barbara Demick’s Nothing to Envy is a remarkable view into North Korea, as seen through the lives of six ordinary citizens

Nothing to Envy follows the lives of six North Koreans over fifteen years—a chaotic period that saw the death of Kim Il-sung, the unchallenged rise to power of his son Kim Jong-il, and the devastation of a far-ranging famine that killed one-fifth of the population.

Taking us into a landscape most of us have never before seen, award-winning journalist Barbara Demick brings to life what it means to be living under the most repressive totalitarian regime today—an Orwellian world that is by choice not connected to the Internet, in which radio and television dials are welded to the one government station, and where displays of affection are punished; a police state where informants are rewarded and where an offhand remark can send a person to the gulag for life.

Demick takes us deep inside the country, beyond the reach of government censors. Through meticulous and sensitive reporting, we see her six subjects—average North Korean citizens—fall in love, raise families, nurture ambitions, and struggle for survival. One by one, we experience the moments when they realize that their government has betrayed them.

Nothing to Envy is a groundbreaking addition to the literature of totalitarianism and an eye-opening look at a closed world that is of increasing global importance.

-----

FYI, For US Kindlers:

The Amazon 100 Kindle Books for $3.99 or Less has updated for July! Check out the new batch of discounts.

Quote:
Looking for great books at a low price? Browse the newest section of our store--100 Kindle Books for $3.99 or Less--a diverse selection of deals hand-selected by our editors each month.

To sort and filter a list of this month's deals, click here.
------

Paris to the Pyrenees: A Skeptic Pilgrim Walks the Way of Saint James by David Downie from Pegasus Books ($1.99) is the Kindle Deal of the Day (August 1) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "This part adventure story and part cultural history explores the phenomenon of pilgrimage."

Part adventure story, part cultural history, Paris to the Pyrenees explores the phenomenon of pilgrimage along the age-old way of Saint James

Driven by curiosity, wanderlust, and health crises, David Downie and his wife set out from Paris to walk across France to the Pyrenees. Starting on the Rue Saint-Jacques, then trekking 750 miles south to Roncesvalles, Spain, their eccentric route takes 72 days on Roman roads and pilgrimage paths—a 1,100-year-old network of trails leading to the sanctuary of Saint James the Greater. It is best known as El Camino de Santiago de Compostela—“The Way” for short.

The object of any pilgrimage is an inward journey manifested in a long, reflective walk. For Downie, the inward journey met the outer one: a combination of self-discovery and physical regeneration. More than 200,000 pilgrims take the highly commercialized Spanish route annually, but few cross France. Downie had a goal: to go from Paris to the Pyrenees on age-old trails, making the pilgrimage in his own maverick way.
Wonderful by Jill Barnett from Bell Bridge Books ($1.99) is the Kindle Romance Deal of the Day (August 1) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "An enchanting, uplifting, and heartwarming historical romance."

War weary knight, Merrick de Beaucourt, wants nothing more than a simple life, a peaceful wife, and to oversee his new earldom. What he gets instead are orders from his king, Camrose Castle on the wild and rebellious Welsh borders, and a completely unbiddable wife. For six long years, Lady Clio has waited for her betrothed..waited, and waited. Once the news arrives that he is returning, Clio returns to Camrose to again await the man who ignored her, but now determined to make him pay for the years she languished in a convent. Clio leads Merrick a merry chase, and she takes on the role of an independent alewife, driven to discover the lost recipe for ancient “heather ale,” a magical beer first made by the Picts. Surrounded by the enchanted mists that circle Camrose Castle, these head-strong adversaries embark on a sometimes passionate, sometimes hilarious battle of wills in this unusual 13th Century tale of a brave knight who seeks to claim--and tame--his bride, or so he thinks....
The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle) by Miles Cameron from Orbit ($1.99) is the Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Deal of the Day (August 1) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "A dense and intricately plotted historical fantasy that is filled with adventure."

Twenty eight florins a month is a huge price to pay, for a man to stand between you and the Wild.

Twenty eight florins a month is nowhere near enough when a wyvern's jaws snap shut on your helmet in the hot stink of battle, and the beast starts to rip the head from your shoulders. But if standing and fighting is hard, leading a company of men - or worse, a company of mercenaries - against the smart, deadly creatures of the Wild is even harder.

It takes all the advantages of birth, training, and the luck of the devil to do it.

The Red Knight has all three, he has youth on his side, and he's determined to turn a profit. So when he hires his company out to protect an Abbess and her nunnery, it's just another job. The abby is rich, the nuns are pretty and the monster preying on them is nothing he can't deal with.

Only it's not just a job. It's going to be a war. . .
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer from Atheneum Books for Young Readers ($1.99) is the Kindle Kids Deal of the Day (August 1) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "This is one of the best near future sci-fi thrillers that I have ever read."

Age Level: 11 and up | Grade Level: 7 and up

A Newbery Honor Book and also winner of the National Book Award

Matt is a clone of El Patrón, a powerful drug lord of the land of Opium, which is located between the United States and Mexico. For six years, he has lived in a tiny cottage in the poppy fields with Celia, a kind and deeply religious servant woman who is charged with his care and safety. He knows little about his existence until he is discovered by a group of children playing in the fields and wonders why he isn't like them. Though Matt has been spared the fate of most clones, who have their intelligence destroyed at birth, the evil inhabitants of El Patrón's empire consider him a "beast" and an "eejit."
When El Patrón dies at the age of 146,14-year-old Matt escapes Opium with the help of Celia and Tam Lin, his devoted bodyguard who wants to right his own wrongs. After a near misadventure in his escape, Matt makes his way back home and begins to rid the country of its evils.
-----

Business Productivity Strategies for Success (Collection) by Mark I. Woods from Pearson Education ($2.99) is the NOOK Daily Find (August 1)

Quote:
Product Description

Supercharge your productivity with this extraordinary collection of books sure to boost your effectiveness at tasks that can make or break your career. Learn how to manage your time, present your case, understand your strengths, and influence your peers -- all at an incredible savings with today's NOOK Daily Find.
----

FYI, For Canadian Kindlers:

The Amazon July Monthly Deals in Kindle Books is a promo for Amazon Canada.

Quote:
Each month we unveil a new collection of Kindle books for $3.99 or less in a wide variety of genres. You'll find great deals in mysteries, science fiction, romance, biographies and memoirs, and more.

Last edited by arcadata; 08-27-2013 at 05:00 AM.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sisterhood by Helen Bryan from Amazon (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Deal of the Day (August 2) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "An uplifting, engaging novel… well worth a read if you're a fan of historical fiction.

Menina Walker was a child of fortune. Rescued after a hurricane in South America, doomed to a life of poverty with a swallow medal as her only legacy, the orphaned toddler was adopted by an American family and taken to a new life.

As a beautiful, intelligent woman of nineteen, she is in love, engaged, and excited about the future—until another traumatic event shatters her dreams. Menina flees to Spain to bury her misery in research for her college thesis about a sixteenth-century artist who signed his works with the image of a swallow—the same image as the one on Menina’s medal.

But a mugging strands Menina in a musty, isolated Spanish convent. Exploring her surroundings, she discovers the epic sagas of five orphan girls who were hidden from the Spanish Inquisition and received help escaping to the New World. Is Menina’s medal a link to them, or to her own past? Did coincidence lead her to the convent, or fate?

Both love story and historical thriller, The Sisterhood is an emotionally charged ride across continents and centuries.
Summer of '76 by Isabel Ashdown from Myriad Editions (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Romance Daily Deal (August 2) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "The perfect book club and holiday read… I loved this book."

It’s the start of one of the hottest summers on record with soaring temperatures and weeks without rain; the summer of Abba, T-Rex, David Bowie and Demis Roussos; of Martinis, cheesecake and chicken chasseur; of the Montreal Olympics and the Notting Hill riots – the summer Big Ben stopped dead. Luke Wolff is about to turn eighteen and is all set to enjoy his last few months at home on the Isle of Wight before leaving for college. Life is looking good; his job at a holiday camp promises new friendships, even the possibility of romance, and his parents are too preoccupied with their own problems to worry much about their son’s growing independence. But with windows and doors constantly open and life increasingly lived outside, secrets become hard to hide. As Luke listens in, his parents’ seemingly ordered existence comes unstuck. Soon the community is gripped by scandal, and everything Luke thought he knew about friendship and family is turned on its head.
Too Hurt to Stay: The True Story of a Troubled Boy's Desperate Search for a Loving Home by Casey Watson from Harper Element (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Non-Fiction Daily Deal (August 2) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "A fantastically well written account of one boy's struggle… I could not put this book down."

The fourth title from Sunday Times bestselling author Casey Watson.

Eight-year-old Spencer takes himself to social services and demands to be taken into care. It’s a desperate act, a cry for help, but his parent’s reaction – good riddance – speaks volumes. Casey’s hackles are immediately up for this poor child.

Spencer is the middle child of four siblings. His parents claim all their other kids are ‘normal’ and that Spencer was born ‘vicious and evil’. Casey and her family are disgusted – kids aren’t born evil, they get damaged. Although when vigilante neighbours start to take action and their landlord threatens eviction, Casey is stretched to the limits, trying desperately to hold on to this boy who causes so much pain and destruction.

Casey is determined to try and understand what Spencer is going through and help him find the loving home he is so desperately searching for. But it’s only when Spencer’s mother gets in touch with social services for the first time that gradually everything starts to make sense.
-----

The Sisterhood by Helen Bryan from Amazon ($1.99) is the Kindle Deal of the Day (August 2) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "A marvelous piece of historical fiction set during the Spanish Inquisition."

Menina Walker was a child of fortune. Rescued after a hurricane in South America, doomed to a life of poverty with a swallow medal as her only legacy, the orphaned toddler was adopted by an American family and taken to a new life.

As a beautiful, intelligent woman of nineteen, she is in love, engaged, and excited about the future—until another traumatic event shatters her dreams. Menina flees to Spain to bury her misery in research for her college thesis about a sixteenth-century artist who signed his works with the image of a swallow—the same image as the one on Menina’s medal.

But a mugging strands Menina in a musty, isolated Spanish convent. Exploring her surroundings, she discovers the epic sagas of five orphan girls who were hidden from the Spanish Inquisition and received help escaping to the New World. Is Menina’s medal a link to them, or to her own past? Did coincidence lead her to the convent, or fate?

Both love story and historical thriller, The Sisterhood is an emotionally charged ride across continents and centuries.
Not Quite Mine by Catherine Bybee from Montlake Romance ($1.99) is the Kindle Romance Deal of the Day (August 2) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "I highly recommend this touching and delightful contemporary romance."

From New York Times, USA Today, and WSJ best-selling author of Wife by Wednesday, comes the second novel in her delightful, delicious Not Quite trilogy.

Gorgeous hotel heiress Katelyn “Katie” Morrison seems to have it all. But when she crosses paths with Dean Prescott—the only man she’s ever loved—at her brother’s wedding, Katie realizes there’s a gaping hole in her life. After the ceremony she gets an even bigger surprise: a baby girl left on her doorstep. Determined to keep the newborn until she learns who her mother is, Katie has her hands full and doesn’t need Dean snooping around…especially when his presence stirs feelings she thought were long gone.

Dean Prescott knows Katie is lying to him about the baby. He shouldn’t care what the woman who broke his heart is up to…and he most certainly shouldn’t still be aching for her. Yet Dean can’t ignore the need to protect Katie—or the desire to be near her every chance he gets. But when he and Katie solve the mystery surrounding the baby, their second chance for happiness could be shattered forever.
Romulus Buckle & the City of the Founders (The Chronicles of the Pneumatic Zeppelin, Book One) by Richard Ellis Preston Jr. from 47North ($2.99) is the Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Deal of the Day (August 2) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "A unique blend of science fiction, steampunk, and post-apocalyptic fiction."

In a post-apocalyptic world of endless snow, Captain Romulus Buckle and the stalwart crew of the Pneumatic Zeppelin must embark on a perilous mission to rescue their kidnapped leader, Balthazar Crankshaft, from the impenetrable City of the Founders. Steaming over a territory once known as Southern California – before it was devastated in the alien war – Buckle navigates his massive airship through skies infested with enemy war zeppelins and ravenous alien beasties in this swashbuckling and high-octane steampunk adventure. Life is desperate in the Snow World – and death is quick – Buckle and his ship’s company must brave poisoned wastelands of noxious mustard and do battle with forgewalkers, steampipers and armored locomotives as they plunge from the skies into the underground prison warrens of the fortress-city.
Captain Romulus Buckle must lead the Pneumatic Zeppelin and its crew of never-do-wells on a desperate mission where he must risk everything to save Balthazar and attempt to prevent a catastrophic war which could wipe out all that is left of civilization and the entire human race.
Happy Birthday, Mrs. Millie! by Judy Cox from Two Lions ($1.99) is the Kindle Kids Deal of the Day (August 2) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "A sweet story about wordplay that is filled with vibrant illustrations."

Every morning at school, Mrs. Millie says, "Please hang up your book bugs."

The kindergarteners know she means book bags, and they laugh whenever their teacher talks silly. On Mrs Millie's birthday, the children decide to throw a surprise party. They decorate the classroom with baboons (balloons) and set out chocolate cubcakes (cupcakes) and apple moose (juice). Mrs. Millie has never enjoyed such a wonderful bird-day! The illustrations rendered in Prismacolor pencil, dyes, pen, and ink highlight the fun in this classroom romp.
-----

The Risk Agent by Ridley Pearson from Penguin Group ($1.99) is the NOOK Daily Find (August 2)

Quote:
Product Description

Bestselling author Ridley Pearson (Choke Point, Kingdom Keepers) delivers a pulse-pounding thriller starring your new favorite action duo: security agent John Knox and forensic expert Grace Chu. Called to investigate the kidnapping of a Chinese national woring for an American company, they soon find that international hostage rescue is just the beginning of a dangerous journey.
** Price-matched on US Amazon

The Risk Agent by Ridley Pearson is $1.99 (Amazon US)
Advert
Old 08-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

Arab Summer (Sasha Del Mira) by David Lender from Thomas & Mercer (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Deal of the Day (August 3) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "…an intelligent and carefully researched thriller about a Muslim uprising in Saudi Arabia… I highly recommend this book."

Newlywed Sasha Del Mira thinks she’s left her harrowing past with the CIA behind her…until her husband is murdered. There’s only one man who can be behind this: Saif Ibn Mohammed al-Aziz, once Sasha’s lover and now the leader of a Muslim terrorist group. Seeking revenge, Sasha returns to the CIA and goes undercover in pursuit of Saif. Meanwhile, Saif plots an Arab Spring uprising intended to violently overthrow the Saudi Arabian government in the holiest of places at the holiest of times: the annual pilgrimage to Mecca. Can Sasha save the world from a fundamentalist reign of terror, or will she be forced to become the madman’s wife?

With this third installment of the Sasha Del Mira series, the valiant heroine of Arab Summer joins the ranks of blockbuster covert-ops stars such as Jason Bourne and Jack Ryan.
A Cruel Harvest by Paul Reid from AmazonEncore (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Romance Daily Deal (August 3) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "This is an extraordinary read, full of fast-paced action and beautiful romance… it cost me several sleepless nights."

Set in 1790, A Cruel Harvest tells the epic tale of Orlaith and Brannon, young lovers whose futures are jeopardized when Moorish pirates raid their Irish fishing village. Orlaith and her infant son manage to escape the savage attack, but Brannon is captured. Thrown into the hold of the pirates’ ship, the young farmer is spirited away to the harsh confines of North Africa. There he is sold into slavery and forced to serve in the army of the sadistic Sultan of Morocco. Back in Ireland, a heartbroken Orlaith faces certain ruin unless she agrees to marry wealthy landowner Randall Whitely. But Whitely is a cruel man, and life with him quickly becomes a waking nightmare. Though separated by thousands of miles, Orlaith and Brannon draw on their great love to challenge the oppression of the tyrants keeping them apart. Stretching from the windswept coast of Ireland to the sun-baked hills of Morocco, A Cruel Harvest is a thrilling novel of adventure, survival, and once-in-a-lifetime love.
Chloe Sims: The Only Way Is Up by Chloe Sims from John Blake (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Entertainment Daily Deal (August 3) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "Loved this book!! After reading this you really don't know what goes on behind closed doors… definitely recommended."

Say the name Chloe Sims and most people think of the hugely entertaining, bubbly and glamorous Essex girl on the hit ITV show The Only Way Is Essex. But there is more to Chloe than viewers see on the TV, and the drama doesn’t stop when the camera stops rolling. Just two years ago, Chloe was a single mum struggling to make ends meet doing a string of jobs she hated and wondering if she would ever find happiness. Then, at the beginning of 2011, after joining the cast of TOWIE, she won the hearts of the nation with her funny ways and frank confessions. Since joining the cast, her life – which has been anything but ordinary – is now a whirlwind of glitzy parties and jet-set holidays, but life hasn’t always dealt Chloe a good hand. Her story is one of triumph over adversity – with plenty of laughs along the way. From her turbulent childhood where she was raised by a neighbour after her mother abandoned her, to battling with bullies and struggling with an eating disorder, to the magical moment when she met the man of her dreams. But even the path to true love hasn't run smoothly for Chloe, and she has experienced plenty of ups and downs along the way. Finally, things are on the up and the future is looking bright for the 30-year-old Essex girl. In Chloe Sims: The Only Way Is Up, Chloe finally sets the record straight; speaking frankly about the plastic surgery she’s had done, what it was really like working for Playboy France and how she coped with her rollercoaster ride to stardom – with plenty of shocking revelations and secrets she’s never told ... until now. This is her story, and it’s not like any other you will read
-----

Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West by Stephen E. Ambrose from Simon & Schuster ($1.99) is the Kindle Deal of the Day (August 3) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "A wonderfully comprehensive account of the Lewis and Clark expedition."

In this sweeping adventure story, Stephen E. Ambrose, the bestselling author od D-Day, presents the definitive account of one of the most momentous journeys in American history. Ambrose follows the Lewis and Clark Expedition from Thomas Jefferson's hope of finding a waterway to the Pacific, through the heart-stopping moments of the actual trip, to Lewis's lonely demise on the Natchez Trace. Along the way, Ambrose shows us the American West as Lewis saw it -- wild, awsome, and pristinely beautiful. Undaunted Courage is a stunningly told action tale that will delight readers for generations.
Highland Fling by Amanda Scott from Open Road Media ($1.99) is the Kindle Romance Deal of the Day (August 3) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "I absolutely loved this passionate and exciting historical romance."

Forbidden passion has never been more dangerous—or more irresistible—in the first novel of bestselling author Amanda Scott’s spellbinding Highland series

Scotland, 1750. In the aftermath of the Jacobite rebellion, Maggie MacDrumin vows to keep fighting to liberate her people. But the intrepid Scotswoman is risking her life for a dangerous cause. When her latest mission lands her in a London courtroom on a trumped-up larceny charge, she has only one hope of survival. Enlisting the aid of Edward Carsley, the powerful fourth Earl of Rothwell, is a two-edged sword. The seductive aristocrat who awakens treacherous desire is her clan’s mortal enemy—a man she can never trust.

Edward will do whatever it takes to quell another bloody uprising. But how can he fight his passion for the rebellious Highland beauty in his safekeeping? As their lives come under siege, Maggie lays claim to the one thing Edward vowed never to surrender: his heart.
Wolfhound Century by Peter Higgins from Orbit ($2.99) is the Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Deal of the Day (August 3) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "An exciting and thrilling sci-fi novel set in a totalitarian world.”

Investigator Vissarion Lom has been summoned to the capital in order to catch a terrorist --- and ordered to report directly to the head of the secret police.

A totalitarian state, worn down by an endless war, must be seen to crush home-grown insurgents with an iron fist. But Lom discovers Mirgorod to be more corrupted than he imagined: a murky world of secret police and revolutionaries, cabaret clubs and doomed artists.

Lom has been chosen because he is an outsider, not involved in the struggle for power within the party. And because of the sliver of angel stone implanted in his head.
The Wee Free Men (Discworld) by Terry Pratchett from Two Lions ($1.99) is the Kindle Kids Deal of the Day (August 3) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "I highly recommend this fantasy novel for fans of Harry Potter."

A nightmarish danger threatens from the other side of reality . . .

Armed with only a frying pan and her common sense, young witch-to-be Tiffany Aching must defend her home against the monsters of Fairyland. Luckily she has some very unusual help: the local Nac Mac Feegle—aka the Wee Free Men—a clan of fierce, sheep-stealing, sword-wielding, six-inch-high blue men.

Together they must face headless horsemen, ferocious grimhounds, terrifying dreams come true, and ultimately the sinister Queen of the Elves herself. . . .

A Story of Discworld
-----

Digital Fortress: A Thriller by Dan Brown from St. Martin's Press ($2.99) is the NOOK Daily Find (August 3)

Quote:
Product Description

Before Dan Brown created scholar/adventurer Robert Langdon, he debuted his techno-thriller skills with the story of Susan Fletcher, top NSA cryptographer. Called to investigate a mysterious unbreakable code, Fletcher soon uncovers an international plot that threatens the entire government, not with standing armies poised along borders, but with the viral secrets hidden within computer code.

Digital Fortress: A Thriller by Dan Brown is $2.99 (Amazon US)
Old 08-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

CyberStorm by Matthew Mather is $1.99 for this weekend

Quote:
Book Description

Sometimes the worst storms aren't from Mother Nature, and sometimes the worst nightmares aren't the ones in our heads.

Mike Mitchell, an average New Yorker already struggling to keep his family together, suddenly finds himself fighting just to keep them alive when an increasingly bizarre string of disasters start appearing on the world's news networks. As the world and cyberworld come crashing down, bending perception and reality, a monster snowstorm cuts New York off from the world, turning it into a wintry tomb where nothing is what it seems...and no one can be trusted...
Old 08-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

Montana 1948: A Novel by Larry Watson is $3.99

Quote:
Book Description

Awarded the Milkweed National Fiction Prize

“From the summer of my twelfth year I carry a series of images more vivid and lasting than any others of my boyhood and indelible beyond all attempts the years make to erase or fade them… “

So begins David Hayden’s story of what happened in Montana in 1948.

The events of that cataclysmic summer permanently alter twelve-year-old David’s understanding of his family: his father, a small-town sheriff; his remarkably strong mother; David’s uncle Frank, a war hero and respected doctor; and the Haydens’ Sioux housekeeper, Marie Little Soldier, whose revelations turn the family’s life upside down as she relates how Frank has been molesting his female Indian patients.

As their story unravels around David, he learns that truth is not what one believes it to be, that power is abused, and that sometimes one has to choose between family loyalty and justice.
Advert
Old 08-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

Hour of the Rat by Lisa Brackmann from Soho Crime is $1.99

Quote:
Book Description

The New York Times and USA Today bestselling Ellie McEnroe series.

Iraq War vet Ellie McEnroe has a pretty good life in Beijing, representing the work of controversial dissident Chinese artist Zhang Jianli. Even though Zhang’s mysterious disappearance of over a year ago has her in the sights of the Chinese authorities. Even though her Born-Again mother has come for a visit and shows no signs of leaving. But when her mom takes up with “that nice Mr. Zhou next door,” Ellie decides that it’s time to get out of town—given her mother’s past bad choices of men, no good can come of this.

An old Army buddy, Dog Turner, gives her the perfect excuse. His unstable brother Jason has disappeared in picturesque Yangshuo, a famous tourist destination, and though Ellie knows it’s a long shot, she agrees to try to find him. At worst, she figures she’ll have a few days of fun in some gorgeous scenery.

But her plans for a relaxing vacation are immediately complicated when her mother and the new boyfriend tag along. And as soon as she starts asking questions about the missing Jason, Ellie realizes that she’s stumbled into a dangerous conspiracy that may or may not involve a sinister biotech company, eco-terrorists, an art-obsessed Chinese billionaire and lots of cats—one that will take her on a wild chase through some of China’s most beautiful—and most surreal—places.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

Delirium by Lauren Oliver from Hodder (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Deal of the Day (August 4) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "I highly recommend this book to just about anyone… Delirium definitely deserves all the hype it has been surrounded by."

Amazon Best Books of the Month, February 2011

Ninety-five days, and then I’ll be safe.
I wonder whether the procedure will hurt.
I want to get it over with.
It’s hard to be patient.
It’s hard not to be afraid while I’m still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn’t touched me yet.
Still, I worry.
They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness.
The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don’t.

Lauren Oliver astonished readers with her stunning debut, Before I Fall. In a starred review, Publishers Weekly called it “raw, emotional, and, at times, beautiful. An end as brave as it is heartbreaking.” Her much-awaited second novel fulfills her promise as an exceptionally talented and versatile writer.
Mates, Dates and Inflatable Bras by Cathy Hopkins from Piccadilly Press (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Romance Daily Deal (August 4) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "Follow Lucy as she goes through the ups and downs of being a teenager. A must read for anyone aged 11-15."

A funny, insightful story of friendship, boys and one teenager’s journey of discovery.Lucy feels like everything is changing around her, and suddenly she is required to make all sorts of decisions. Everyone knows who and what they want to be except her. Izzie has become friends with the glamoous Nesta, and Lucy isn't certain she likes this new threesome. Nesta and Izzie look sixteen, but Lucy, at fourteen like them, could easily pass for a twelve-year-old. But then the day Lucy sees the most wonderful boy crossing the street, things do start to change – in all areas of her life.
Start the Car: The World According to Bumble by David Lloyd from HarperSport (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Sport Daily Deal (August 4) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "Bumble ensures that every page is an event by combining his unique brand of humour with the magic of a natural storyteller."

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of "Bumble", the legendary SkySports cricket commentator who's one ball short of an over and delivers madcap moments galore in this ebullient, endearing and hilarious book.

David "Bumble" Lloyd is a legend in our living rooms, a genuine "good bloke" all cricket fans feel they know inside out because of his infectious, larger-than-life personality and that distinctive Lancashire burr.

Bumble has become the one constant for passionate English fans in cricket's rapidly changing landscape. He has earned cult status as a commentator and pundit, with viewers loving his unerring dedication to the game's great fables.

The World According to Bumble: Start the Car revels in the quirkier and humorous side of cricket, while offering behind-the-scenes action of Lloyd's years spent following cricket around the globe, from Accrington to Lahore.

Bumble waxes lyrical on everything from the genius of Shane Warne to the merits of a Lancashire hotpot … and the delights of finishing the day with a couple of pints and a curry.

Enjoy the camaraderie that exists among the SkySports team - including former England captains Sir Ian Botham, Michael Atherton, Nasser Hussain and David Gower - and laugh out loud at the stories and anecdotes which have forged Bumble's character.

Whether he is holding up play to retrieve lost balls from the top of sight-screens, or enacting mock pitch reports from car parks, Bumble is capable of stealing the limelight at all times.
-----

20 Dark-Hunter Novels by Sherrilyn Kenyon ($1.99 each) is the Kindle Deal of the Day (August 4) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Today only, save on over 20 exciting Kindle fantasy novels by Sherrilyn Kenyon.
Own the Wind: A Chaos Novel by Kristen Ashley from Forever ($0.99) is the Kindle Romance Deal of the Day (August 4) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "A fun and exciting read--especially if you love stories about motorcycle clubs!"

Too hot to handle . . .

Tabitha Allen grew up in the thick of Chaos-the Chaos Motorcycle Club, that is. Her father is Chaos' leader, and the club has always had her back. But one rider was different from the start. When Tabby was running wild, Shy Cage was there. When tragedy tore her life apart, he helped her piece it back together. And now, Tabby's thinking about much more than friendship . . .

Tabby is everything Shy's ever wanted, but everything he thinks he can't have. She's beautiful, smart, and as his friend's daughter, untouchable. Shy never expected more than friendship, so when Tabby indicates she wants more-much more-he feels like the luckiest man alive. But even lucky men can crash and burn . . .
The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke from Orbit ($2.99) is the Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Deal of the Day (August 4) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "This remains one of the best science fiction novels ever written."

A billion years into the future, Earth’s oceans have evaporated—and humanity has all but vanished. The inhabitants of the City of Diaspar believe theirs is the last city—but there is no way to find out for sure. The city is completely closed off by a high wall, and nobody has left in millions of years.

The last child born in the city in millions of years, Alvin is insatiably curious about the outside world. He embarks on a quest that leads him to discover the truth about the city and humanity’s history—as well as its future.

The City and the Stars is a rewrite of Clarke’s first novel, Against the Fall of Night. While the author assumed that the old version would be replaced by the new version and eventually go out of print, he was surprised to find that the older version was popular enough to stay in wide circulation. Today, both stories are equally popular.

Any fan of Clarke’s would find this book a fascinating read, not just for the intriguing story and Clarke’s singular futuristic vision, but also for the purpose of comparing his approach to the same story at different points in his writing career. While The City and the Stars shares the general plot of Against the Fall of Night, many details are different—making an interesting study of Clarke’s progression as a writer.
Firelight by Sophie Jordan from HarperCollins ($1.99) is the Kindle Teens Deal of the Day (August 4) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "This paranormal romance is captivating and action-packed. I could not put it down!"

A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.
Doomed love.

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.

Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.
-----

Stiltsville: A Novel by Susanna Daniel from HarperCollins ($1.99) is the NOOK Daily Find (August 4)

Quote:
Product Description

Fall in love with the soulful storytelling of Susanna Daniel (Sea Creatures) in this exquisite novel that follows a couple, Frances and Dennis, over the course of 30 years in Miami. The ups and downs of marriage and parenthood play out in sun-kissed South Florida, revealed in Frances's thoughtful voice that marks Daniel as one of our new favorite authors.

Stiltsville: A Novel by Susanna Daniel is $1.99 (Amazon US)
Old 08-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

Matches to GooglePlay's $3.99 'Royal Families' promotion:

The Tsarina's Daughter by Carolly Erickson
Josephine: A Life of the Empress by Carolly Erickson
Great Harry by Carolly Erickson
The Last Wife of Henry VIII: A Novel by Carolly Erickson
The Confession of Katherine Howard by Suzannah Dunn

Madame Serpent (Catherine De' Medici Trilogy) by Jean Plaidy
A Rose for the Crown: A Novel by Anne Easter Smith
The King's Grace: A Novel by Anne Easter Smith
To Die For: A Novel of Anne Boleyn by Sandra Byrd
The Lady of the Rivers: A Novel (The Cousins' War) by Philippa Gregory

The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers by Margaret George
The Scarlet Contessa: A Novel of the Italian Renaissance by Jeanne Kalogridis
Through a Glass Darkly: A Novel by Karleen Koen
The Unfaithful Queen: A Novel of Henry VIII's Fifth Wife by Carolly Erickson
The Favored Queen: A Novel of Henry VIII's Third Wife by Carolly Erickson

Queen By Right: A Novel by Anne Easter Smith
The Wild Princess: A Novel of Queen Victoria's Defiant Daughter by Mary Hart Perry
The Virgin Widow by Anne O'Brien
Pale Rose of England by Sandra Worth
Stolen Crown: The Secret Marriage that Forever Changed the Fate of England by Susan Higginbotham
Old 08-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

Stop Dead (A DI Geraldine Steel Mystery) by Leigh Russell from No Exit Press (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Deal of the Day (August 5) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "It was very easy to read and kept me guessing until the very end… Amazing story and great writing."

Detective Inspector Geraldine Steel returns in an exhilarating case of grisly murder in London When a successful businessman is brutally murdered, the police suspect his glamorous wife and her young lover. Then the victim’s business partner suffers the same gruesome fate and when yet another body is discovered, seemingly unrelated to the first two, the police are baffled. The only clue is DNA that leads them to two women: one dead, the other in prison. With a steady stream of bodies arriving at the morgue, can D.I. Geraldine Steel find the killer before the killer stages another deadly attack?
I Heart New York: A Novel by Lindsey Kelk from Harper (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Romance Daily Deal (August 5) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "Fantastic easy read. Brilliant characters that we can all relate to in some way. Lovely descriptions of New York too."

Get ready to meet Angela Clark as she flees the world’s worst wedding for a new life…

It's official. Angela Clarke is in love – with the most fabulous city in the world.

Fleeing her cheating boyfriend and clutching little more than a crumpled bridesmaid dress, a pair of Louboutins and her passport, Angela jumps on a plane, destination - NYC.

Holed up in a cute hotel room, Angela gets a New York makeover from her NBFJenny and a whirlwind tour of the city that never sleeps. Before she knows it, Angela is dating two sexy guys. And, best of all, she gets to write about it in her new blog (Carrie Bradshaw eat your heart out). But it's one thing telling readers about your romantic dilemmas, it's another figuring them out for yourself …

Angela has fallen head over heels for the big apple, but does she heart New York more than home?
The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll Through the Hidden Connections of the English Language by Mark Forsyth from Icon Books (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Reference Daily Deal (August 5) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "The writer takes you on a whirlwind journey through a series of words and historical facts, ingeniously linking each one to the next."

Do you know why…

…a mortgage is literally a death pledge? …why guns have girls’ names? …why salt is related to soldier?

You’re about to find out…

The Etymologicon (e-t?-‘mä-lä-ji-kän) is:

*Witty (wi-te): Full of clever humor
*Erudite (er-?-dit): Showing knowledge
*Ribald (ri-b?ld): Crude, offensive

The Etymologicon is a completely unauthorized guide to the strange underpinnings of the English language. It explains: how you get from “gruntled” to “disgruntled”; why you are absolutely right to believe that your meager salary barely covers “money for salt”; how the biggest chain of coffee shops in the world (hint: Seattle) connects to whaling in Nantucket; and what precisely the Rolling Stones have to do with gardening.
-----

The Sky Unwashed by Irene Zabytko from Algonquin Books ($1.99) is the Kindle Deal of the Day (August 5) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "A moving, haunting, and memorable portrayal of the Chernobyl catastrophe."

Marusia, in her seventies, is the matriarch of the Petrenko family. She has lived and worked all her life in starylis, a tiny town in rural Ukraine. Starylis is a place where families still live in the ancient thatched-roof cottages that have been their homes for generations. It's a place where everyone grows their own vegetables, where the old women (the babas) sweep the church steps daily and bake bread in outdoor communal clay ovens. It's a place where everyone knows everyone else, and everyone else's business. It's a little town just down the road from Chernobyl.

On April 26, 1986, the lives of Marusia, her family, and her townspeople change forever.

The air begins to taste strange, the workers don't come home from their shifts at the nearby power plant. Eventually the Soviet government orders a mandatory and permanent evacuation. But less than a year after the accident, a handful of elderly women - the first of whom is Marusia - defy the government prohibition and return, one by one, to their now deserted town. Despite their differences and their losses, they band together for survival, companionship, and to confront the Soviet officials responsible for their fate.

This is a tale of ordinary citizens who, when faced with extraordinary circumstances, become the most unexpected heroes. Inspired by a true incident and transformed by the talents of a remarkable young writer, The Sky Unwashed is a simple story told with gentle humor that redefines our notions of home and community.
Wonderful You by Mariah Stewart from Pocket Books ($1.99) is the Kindle Romance Deal of the Day (August 5) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "This charming book has romance, laughter and suspense. Highly recommended!"

Twenty-eight, single, and struggling to keep her little shop of handicrafts afloat, Zoey Enright is pleasantly surprised when a knockout audition for a home-shopping network lands her an impressive job as an on-air saleswoman. Little does she know, Delaney O'Connor, the company's CEO, is bringing his only grandson and the hero of Zoey's childhood, Ben Pierce, home from Europe to run the network.

Ben's one true passion was Grand Prix racing -- until he laid eyes on Zoey again, all grown up and more beautiful than ever. But he also must face his haunted past and the near-fatal accident that brought his driving career to a screeching halt. Confronting painful emotions he crossed an ocean to forget, Ben must barter his old dreams for new ones if he and Zoey are to claim the wonderful future they are meant to share.
The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron from Orbit ($1.99) is the Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Deal of the Day (August 5) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "This book is witty and smart- a nice throwback to light, classical fantasy.”

The Legend of Eli Monpress includes the novels: The Spirit Thief, The Sprit Rebellion, and The Spirit Eater.

Eli Monpress is talented. He's charming. And he's a thief.

But not just any thief. He's the greatest thief of the age - and he's also a wizard. And with the help of his partners - a swordsman with the most powerful magic sword in the world but no magical ability of his own, and a demonseed who can step through shadows and punch through walls - he's going to put his plan into effect.

The first step is to increase the size of the bounty on his head, so he'll need to steal some big things. But he'll start small for now. He'll just steal something that no one will miss - at least for a while.

Like a king.
Lost Horizon: A Novel by James Hilton from Two Lions ($1.99) is the Kindle Teens Deal of the Day (August 5) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also discounted at CDN$ 1.03 on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "A haunting and timeless story that I consider to be a masterpiece of modern fiction"

Hilton’s bestselling classic about a man who stumbles on the world’s last great hope for peace: Shangri-La

Hugh Conway saw humanity at its worst while fighting in the trenches of the First World War. Now, more than a decade later, Conway is a British diplomat serving in Afghanistan and facing war yet again—this time, a civil conflict forces him to flee the country by plane. When his plane crashes high in the Himalaya mountains, Conway and the other survivors are found by a mysterious guide and led to a breathtaking discovery: the hidden valley of Shangri-La.

Kept secret from the world for more than two hundred years, Shangri-La is like paradise—a place whose inhabitants live for centuries amid the peace and harmony of the fertile valley. But when the leader of the Shangri-La monastery falls ill, Conway and the others must face the daunting prospect of returning home to a world about to be torn open by war.

Thrilling and passionate, Lost Horizon is a masterpiece of modern fiction, and one of the most enduring books of the twentieth century.
-----

June Bug by Chris Fabry from Tyndale House Publishers ($1.99) is the NOOK Daily Find (August 5)

Quote:
Product Description

Chris Fabry (Not in the Heart, Every Waking Moment) delivers a modern take on Les Miserables in the story of nine-year-old June Bug, who sees herself staring out from a missing child poster, leading her to question her "father" about their strange vagabond life and to force him to face the past he's long been running from.

June Bug by Chris Fabry is $1.99 (Amazon US)
Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

Auschwitz: A History by Sybille Steinbacher is $2.99 (Harper Perennial)

Quote:
Book Description:

At the terrible heart of the modern age lies Auschwitz, a name that has become synonymous with evil.

Here the utopian twentieth-century dream of employing science and technology to improve and protect human life was inverted from the latter part of the 1930s through the end of the Second World War, as the same systems were manipulated in the cause of efficient mass slaughter.

Historian Sybille Steinbacher's powerful and eminently important book details Auschwitz's birth, growth, and horrible mutation into a dreadful city. How it came to be and how what followed was allowed to occur is a story that everyone needs to understand and remember.

"First published in Germany in 2004, this is a cogent, penetrating work in the study of the bestiality of Auschwitz, suitable for inclusion in all history collections." - George Cohen (Booklist)
Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

The Hunger: A Story of Food, Desire, and Ambition by John Delucie is $3.99 (HarperCollins)

Quote:
Book Description

“Hot grease, sharp knives, infidelity, and white truffles….The Hunger has all the right ingredients….The best memoir by a chef since Kitchen Confidential.”
—Jay McInerney

The Hunger is the page-turning memoir from John DeLucie, chef of THE celebrity hot spot restaurant in New York City, The Waverly Inn. With an introduction by Graydon Carter, legendary Editor of Vanity Fair, The Hunger is an unabashed celebration of hard work and the good life that Anthony Bourdain fans will simply eat up—a feast for foodies that author Salman Rushdie calls, “A delightful book….I recommend it to anyone interested in good food—and good stories.”
Old 08-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

Guinevere, the Legend in Autumn: Book Three of the Guinevere Trilogy by Persia Woolley is $2.99 (Sourcebooks Landmark)

Quote:
Book Description

"Sensitive and stately...a moving conclusion to Woolley's Queen Guinevere trilogy." — Sacramento Bee

Surrounded by traitors, trapped by destiny, Britain's spirited Queen Guinevere sees that the greatest dangers to Arthur's crown may lie within the walls of Camelot. An undeniable spark ignites between Guinevere and Lancelot, but a powerful enemy puts the Queen's loyalty to the ultimate test.

As the heroes of the Round Table undertake the Quest for the Holy Grail, Guinevere's heartbreaking honesty, courage, and integrity will be challenged by those she loves most.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

Boy21 by Matthew Quick is $2.99 (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers)

Quote:
Book Description

From the author of The Silver Linings Playbook

You can lose yourself in repetition-quiet your thoughts; I learned the value of this at a very young age.

Basketball has always been an escape for Finley. He lives in gray, broken Bellmont, a town ruled by the Irish Mob, drugs, violence, and racially charged rivalries. At home, he takes care of his disabled grandfather, and at school he’s called “White Rabbit”, the only white kid on the varsity basketball team. He’s always dreamed of getting out somehow with his girlfriend, Erin. But until then, when he puts on his number 21, everything seems to make sense.

Russ has just moved to the neighborhood. A former teen basketball phenom from a pirvileged home, his life has been turned upside down by tragedy. Cut off from everyone he knows, he now answers only to the name Boy21–his former jersey number–and has an unusual obsession with outer space.

As their final year of high school brings these two boys together, “Boy21″ may turn out to be the answer they both need.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

You Talkin’ To Me?: Rhetoric from Aristotle to Obama by Sam Leith from Profile Books (£1.09) is the Amazon UK Kindle Deal of the Day (August 6) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "...well written, informative, witty and entertaining and a must read for all who love language and believe in its power to persuade."

Rhetoric is what gives words power. It’s nothing to be afraid of. It isn’t the exclusive preserve of politicians: it’s everywhere, from your argument with the insurance company to your plea to the waitress for a table near the window. It convicts criminals (and then frees them on appeal). It causes governments to rise and fall, best men to be shunned by brides, and people to march with steady purpose towards machine guns.

In this highly entertaining (and persuasive) book, Sam Leith examines how people have taught, practised and thought about rhetoric from its Attic origins to its twenty-first century apotheosis. Along the way, he tells the stories of its heroes and villains, from Cicero and Erasmus, to Hitler, Obama – and Gyles Brandreth.
Highland Surrender by Tracy Brogan from Montlake Romance (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Romance Daily Deal (August 6) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "Fantastic easy read. Brilliant characters that we can all relate to in some way. Lovely descriptions of New York too."

2013 ©Desert Rose RWA® Golden Quill Award Winner – Historical Romance

To seal a fragile truce, Fiona Sinclair’s brothers trade her in marriage to their sworn enemy. Though devastated by their betrayal, she has little choice in the matter, for if she refuses, her innocent young sister must take her place. The spirited Fiona is willing to sacrifice her freedom to protect her kin, but she vows never to surrender her heart.

As the eldest son of a clan chief, Myles Campbell is accustomed to having his own way. But when the king of Scotland commands he wed a defiant Highland lass instead of a French mademoiselle, Myles must obey his royal duty. Meeting his bride for the first time on their wedding day, he is pleased to discover the lass is a beauty, but she quickly proves she’d just as soon kill him as kiss him.

When two such warrior spirits collide, sparks fly, igniting a fiery passion that strains against the bonds of family honor, clan loyalty— and the ultimate surrender—love.
The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford from Little, Brown Book Group (£0.99) is the Amazon UK Kindle Business Daily Deal (August 6) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "This is a really good introduction to Economics...I found this to be a bit of a page turner and finished it in a bank holiday weekend."

Who makes most money from the demand for cappuccinos early in the morning at Waterloo Station? Why is it impossible to get a foot on the property ladder? How does the Mafia make money from laundries when street gangs pushing drugs don't? Who really benefits from immigration? How can China, in just fifty years, go from the world's worst famine to one of the greatest economic revolutions of all time, lifting a million people out of poverty a month?

Looking at familiar situations in unfamiliar ways, THE UNDERCOVER ECONOMIST is a fresh explanation of the fundamental principles of the modern economy, illuminated by examples from the streets of London to the booming skyscrapers of Shanghai to the sleepy canals of Bruges. Leaving behind textbook jargon and equations, Tim Harford will reveal the games of signals and negotiations, contests of strength and battles of wit that drive not only the economy at large but the everyday choices we make.
-----

The Good Soldiers by David Finkel from Sarah Crichton Books ($2.99) is the Kindle Deal of the Day (August 6) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "A stunning war report that truly captures the day-to-day grind of battle."

It was the last-chance moment of the war. In January 2007, President George W. Bush announced a new strategy for Iraq. He called it the surge. “Many listening tonight will ask why this effort will succeed when previous operations to secure Baghdad did not. Well, here are the differences,” he told a skeptical nation. Among those listening were the young, optimistic army infantry soldiers of the 2-16, the battalion nicknamed the Rangers. About to head to a vicious area of Baghdad, they decided the difference would be them.

Fifteen months later, the soldiers returned home forever changed. Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post reporter David Finkel was with them in Bagdad, and almost every grueling step of the way.

What was the true story of the surge? And was it really a success? Those are the questions he grapples with in his remarkable report from the front lines. Combining the action of Mark Bowden’s Black Hawk Down with the literary brio of Tim O’Brien’s The Things They Carried, The Good Soldiers is an unforgettable work of reportage. And in telling the story of these good soldiers, the heroes and the ruined, David Finkel has also produced an eternal tale—not just of the Iraq War, but of all wars, for all time.
One Unashamed Night by Sophia James from Harlequin Historical ($1.99) is the Kindle Romance Deal of the Day (August 6) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "An exiting and passionate story about relationships and growing love."

Living in a gray world of silhouette, Lord Taris Wellingham conceals his fading eyesight from society. He has long protected himself from any intimate relationships.

Plain twenty-eight-year-old Beatrice-Maude Bassingstoke does not expect to attract any man, especially not one as good-looking as her remote traveling companion.

Forced by a snowstorm to spend the night together, these two lonely people seek solace in each other's arms. The passion they unleash surprises them both. Then a new day dawns....
More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon from Orbit ($1.99) is the Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Deal of the Day (August 6) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "A genre-bending story that explores themes of morality, individuality, and the need to belong."

Theodore Sturgeon’s acclaimed classic about a group of gifted misfits who discover that together they have the power to move humankind forward—or destroy it completely

Lone is a seemingly simple young man living on the street and in the woods, dim and helpless, yet effortlessly able to read the thoughts of others. His true nature won’t be revealed until the arrival of eight-year-old Janie, a telekinetic; twins Bonnie and Beanie, who can teleport easily across great distances; and Baby, an infant with a super-computer brain. Together they are the Gestalt, a single extraordinary being comprised of remarkable parts (although an essential piece may be missing). But are they the next stage in human development or harbingers of the end of civilization? It’s a question that takes on a terrifying new relevance when Gerry joins their group—for though he’s powerfully telepathic, he lacks a moral compass . . . and his hatred of the world that has rejected him could prove catastrophic.

Winner of the International Fantasy Award and considered Theodore Sturgeon’s masterpiece, More Than Human is a genre-bending wonder that explores themes of responsibility and morality, individuality, and the need to belong. Moving and suspenseful, lyrical and provocative, the novel was one of the first to elevate science fiction into the realm of literature, and inspired musicians and artists such as the Grateful Dead and Crosby, Stills and Nash.

This ebook features an illustrated biography of Theodore Sturgeon including rare images and never-before-seen documents from the University of Kansas’s Kenneth Spencer Research Library and the author’s estate, among other sources.
Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene from Open Road Media Young Readers ($1.99) is the Kindle Teens Deal of the Day (August 6) *Wait for price to reflect discount before 1-clicking

* Also on Amazon CA

Quote:
Product Description

Customer review: "I highly recommend this heartbreaking story about forbidden love."

In Bette Greene’s award–winning debut novel, a young Jewish girl in the postwar South finds herself drawn to a German prisoner of war

When the Army delivers a batch of Nazi prisoners of war to an internment camp in Jenkinsville, Arkansas, Patty Bergen is as anxious as any of her neighbors to get a glimpse of the monsters. The eldest child in the town’s sole Jewish family, Patty is lonely and isolated, spending most of her time in the company of Ruth, her parents’ black housekeeper.

Then she meets Anton Reiker, an inmate in the camp. Even though he fought against the Allies, Anton seems to understand Patty in a way even her parents never have. When Anton escapes from the camp, Patty risks everything to keep him safe—but following her heart may come at a terrible price.

This ebook features an illustrated biography of Bette Greene including rare photos and never-before-seen documents from the author’s personal collection.
-----

The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Life by David Borgenicht and Joshua Piven from Chronicle Books ($1.99) is the NOOK Daily Find (August 6)

Quote:
Product Description

Are you ready for the worst case scenario? If the answer is no, then you absolutely need this omnibus of information from the fan-favorite fun-but-not-frivolous Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook series. Filled with real advice on what to do in hundreds of scenarios, this is the perfect book to keep you safe and informed -- because anything could go wrong at any time.

The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Life by David Borgenicht and Joshua Piven is $1.99 (Amazon US)
Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (HarperCollins) is $2.99

Quote:
Book Description:

The American classic about a young girl’s coming-of-age at the turn of the century.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn follows the lives of 11-year-old Francie Nolan, her younger brother Neely, and their parents, Irish immigrants who have settled in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. Johnny Nolan is as loving and fanciful as they come, but he is also often drunk and out of work, unable to find his place in the land of opportunity. His wife Katie scrubs floors to put food on the table and clothes on her children’s backs, instilling in them the values of being practical and planning ahead.

When Johnny dies, leaving Katie pregnant, Francie, smart, pensive and hoping for something better, cannot believe that life can carry on as before. But with her own determination, and that of her mother behind her, Francie is able to move toward the future of her dreams, completing her education and heading off to college, always carrying the beloved Brooklyn of her childhood in her heart.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.
Lucinda’s Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, Book 3) by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi (Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers) is $2.99

Quote:
Book Description:

Let the story of my niece and nephews be a warning. The more you know, the more danger you’re in. And trust me, you don’t want to meddle with the Little People. — S.S.

The Grace children turn to Great-Aunt Lucinda for help in this third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling Spiderwick Chronicles.

As if being attacked by goblins and a bridge troll weren’t enough, Jared is now being targeted by Thimbletack. Simon is keeping an injured and very hungry griffin hidden in the carriage house. And Mallory is convinced the only way to get things back to normal is to get rid of the Guide. But that doesn’t seem to be an option. With more creatures from Arthur Spiderwick’s Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You popping up, the Guide seems to be the only protection the Grace kids have. But why do the faeries want it so badly? There’s only one person to go to for answers—crazy, old Aunt Lucinda!
Wonderful World: A Novel by Javier Calvo (HarperCollins) is $3.99

Quote:
Book Description:

When Lucas Giraut inherits the family company from a father who never really cared enough to get to know him, it comes with a lot of unanswered questions…and an archenemy: Lucas’s mother, Fanny. An ambitious and ruthless entrepreneur, Fanny believes her son is as useless as his father, whose recent, mysterious death delights her. Determined to understand exactly what he’s been bequeathed, Lucas follows clues found in a windowless secret apartment—and in his dreams—deep in Barcelona’s underworld and far from the comforts of his home, a former ducal palace. Meanwhile, Valentina Parini—a precocious and troubled seventh-grader and the self-proclaimed Top European Expert on the Work of Stephen King—looks to Lucas, her upstairs neighbor and only friend, as she struggles with growing up.

Javier Calvo’s Wonderful World is a haunting tale that entwines reality and fantasy, filled with scandalous behavior and dangerous crimes.

“Javier Calvo’s Wonderful World is a unique, visionary novel: verbally magical, funny, and full of old-fashioned sex, drugs, and rock ‘n’ roll. This is the work of a marvelous literary talent.” — Clive Barker
Tumbleweeds: A Novel by Leila Meacham (Grand Central Publishing) is $2.99

Quote:
Book Description:

Recently orphaned, eleven-year-old Cathy Benson feels she has been dropped into a cultural and intellectual wasteland when she is forced to move from her academically privileged life in California to the small town of Kersey in the Texas Panhandle where the sport of football reigns supreme. She is quickly taken under the unlikely wings of up-and-coming gridiron stars and classmates John Caldwell and Trey Don Hall, orphans like herself, with whom she forms a friendship and eventual love triangle that will determine the course of the rest of their lives.

Taking the three friends through their growing up years until their high school graduations when several tragic events uproot and break them apart, the novel expands to follow their careers and futures until they reunite in Kersey at forty years of age.

Told with all of Meacham’s signature drama, unforgettable characters, and plot twists, readers will be turning the pages, desperate to learn how it all plays out.
The William Monk Mysteries: The First Three Novels by Anne Perry (Ballantine Books) is $9.99

Quote:
Book Description:

Anne Perry’s acclaimed William Monk novels have captivated readers with their rich texture and masterly suspense, leading The New York Times Book Review to exclaim, “Give her a good murder and a shameful social evil, and Anne Perry can write a Victorian mystery that would make Dickens’s eyes pop.” Now, the first five books in the spellbinding series are collected in this addictive eBook bundle:

FACE OF A STRANGER
His name, they tell him, is William Monk, and he is a London police detective. With his memory erased after a terrible accident, Monk intends on hiding his condition and starting a new life by tackling a grisly murder case in which each new revelation leads him to the answers he seeks—but dreads to find.

A DANGEROUS MOURNING
Called upon to investigate the brutal murder of a blue-blooded young widow, Monk is plagued by both his lingering amnesia and an inept supervisor. But when nurse Hester Latterly offers her assistance, together they grope warily through the silence and shadows that obscure the aristocrat’s demise.

DEFEND AND BETRAY
After a brilliant military career, General Thaddeus Carlyon meets his death not on the battlefield but at a London dinner party. Although his wife confesses to the murder, Monk and Hester suspect deceit. With the trial only days away, they feverishly work to unravel the dark heart of the mystery.