Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Waterproofed Kindle Paperwhite

I posted this info inside another thread and thought I should post it here as well.

A San Diego based company is selling a few waterproofed products including a Kindle Paperwhite (at a hefty price). The company is waterfi.com.

I'm heading for a vacation on the water at the end of this week. Wish I had one of these to test out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterproof pw.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	106370  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I posted this info inside another thread and thought I should post it here as well.

A San Diego based company is selling a few waterproofed products including a Kindle Paperwhite (at a hefty price).
Leo Laporte on Tech News sent one of his cell phones in to Liquipel to have it 'dipped' so it would be water proof.

He got it back, on disregarding the advice not to get it wet, he tested it out by putting it in a glass of water.

The cell phone worked for a bit after it dried out, but then died a permanent death.

I wouldn't trust any service to really waterproof my device except the manufacturer. Then I wouldn't trust it enough to try it even then.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
wow. $220 to waterproof the kindle paperwhite. that's more than the cost of the paperwhite itself.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I assumed that the price was the cost of the Kindle and the waterproofing. Is that not the case?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Leo Laporte on Tech News sent one of his cell phones in to Liquipel to have it 'dipped' so it would be water proof.

He got it back, on disregarding the advice not to get it wet, he tested it out by putting it in a glass of water.

The cell phone worked for a bit after it dried out, but then died a permanent death.

I wouldn't trust any service to really waterproof my device except the manufacturer. Then I wouldn't trust it enough to try it even then.
That's a different technology and is not a waterproofing treatment:
Quote:
Disclaimer: Liquipel applies a preventative coating designed to aid in the event of accidental liquid exposure, and assumes no responsibility for water damaged devices. Liquipel does not recommend your device ever come in contact with liquid.
Waterfi insulates and waterproofs select devices from the inside out.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I assumed that the price was the cost of the Kindle and the waterproofing. Is that not the case?
Correct. People are buying new Paperwhites already treated. They don't treat devices sent in to them.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
What's in the Box:
  • Waterproof Kindle Paperwhite
  • USB 2.0 Charging Cable
  • 1 year warranty fulfilled by Waterfi see details
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post

I saw that show but this is a different company. Also, you don't send your device to them, you buy one that has already been waterproofed. I think that provides a little extra comfort.

There is also a tablet (I don't remember the brand)that is waterproof that was shown at CES last year. So it can be done.

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-28-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Spoudason
Spoudason began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Do they still make zip lock bags?
Spoudason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoudason View Post
Do they still make zip lock bags?
No. They stopped making those years ago... where have you been?!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Speaking of Waterfi, there's an Amazon Lightning Deal now available for a waterproof player:Kinda spendy, but if you're in the market for a waterproof/shockproof player for the gym or the pool, here's your chance. This offer expires in less than 2 hours; at 8:00 am PDT.

This offer is now expired.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-29-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Whatever mechanism is used to waterproof the screen is almost certainly going to degrade the image quality. I'd want to see one for myself before buying.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Do I read it right? They opened the device, pour a liquid-compound (plastic, rubber..) all over the inner of the device, seal it, put another coat of protection over the outside. It should work well, but will it overheat?
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Do I read it right? They opened the device, pour a liquid-compound (plastic, rubber..) all over the inner of the device, seal it, put another coat of protection over the outside. It should work well, but will it overheat?
I would assume not, since it's guaranteed for a year.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #15
flowerprint
flowerprint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I had waterfi's iPod and its lovely for swim!

But I do not see a need for a waterproof kindle.
flowerprint is offline   Reply With Quote