Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Well, it changed :-) ... now it has Google Play access ...
I truly am shocked. I wonder what their big announcement will be tomorrow.

I'll bet they've sold tons of HD's and HD+'s over the weekend!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #17
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Google play and $90 off. Might be time to come back to nook.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Best Buy has the 32GB HD+ for $199. That is the best tablet buy anywhere this week!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #19
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc109 View Post
I am a Kindle loyalist but for this kind of price, I may have to jump ship.
You are not jumping ship. The Kindle app is free in the Google Play app store and loads fine. My only complaint is that the Caecilia font is missing.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
You are not jumping ship. The Kindle app is free in the Google Play app store and loads fine. My only complaint is that the Caecilia font is missing.
Question, can you try if Perfect Viewer and ComicRack work on the Nook HD/HD+? That's pretty much the only thing holding me back at the moment.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #21
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
They both work great on the HD+. Now I just have to choose which one I'm going to use, since previously I'd been using the stock reader for them.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #22
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
The default browser is now Google Chrome as well, and they install Gmail, so they suddenly went from an awful app device to leapfrogging over Amazon (it also has the Kindle app). I had an order in for the $179 Kindle Fire HD sale, but saw the Nook sale price and Google Play, and picked up an HD and sold my ipad mini, since I'm more interested in a sharp screen now for reading and movies. The other big bonus of the Nook is the SD card option, so I can watch all my burned Netflix DVDs on it.
Another nice thing I found is that I can email non-DRM epub books to myself on the Nook, download the attachment, and it will open up in the Nook reader.
LOL!!! Its Christmas!! Congrats!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Nook Media plans to discontinue its Android-based tablet business?

According to this TechCrunch blog http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/08/mic...for-1-billion/, "Nook Media plans to discontinue its Android-based tablet business by the end of its 2014 fiscal year as it transitions to a model where Nook content is distributed through apps on “third-party partner” devices".

Could the Mother's Day generous sale on their HD/HD+ line a prelude to this wind down?
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder what Microsoft would really do with it. Certainly they wouldn't make any more Nook tablets.

Last edited by kevinp; 05-09-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: duplicated link
Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #25
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See my post from 4/5/13. B&N dropped the price (albeit temporarily) on the HD/HD+ and expanded the capabilities of their operating system. That's too good a deal to turn down if you're in the market for a new tablet. I ordered an HD+ and it arrived yesterday. I've not decided whether to root it or not. Access to Google Playstore's apps will be enough for now.
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #26
kevinp
Fanatic

I rooted mine from before. There's no reason to do it now. Not for me anyway.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #27
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I rooted mine from before. There's no reason to do it now. Not for me anyway.
A couple of root-using apps tempting me to re-root are Titanium Backup and Button Savior. It would have been nice when resetting for the 2.1 upgrade to be able to migrate my app data, but in reality I was pretty careless with the update and probably would have lost any such backup anyway. Stock's haphazard back button behavior and reliance on the physical home button is fading into the background now, too, so I don't know whether I'll make the effort to burn a CWM card for rooting and/or sideloading.

At some point I'll probably get experimental again and mess around w/ CM10/10.1, but for now the better core performance in stock is trumping the better design and compatibility of the CyanogenMod ROMs.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I guess that the sale price on the nook hd+ is now over, but I still would like to make a comment here. I bought mine on the first day it hit the sale price and downloaded the new freeing firmware as soon as I got home. Now I am coming from a rooted nook color and I can say that the nook HD+ is truly wonderful, at least for my needs. I mostly use it for reading ebooks, watching movies, some light surfing, and email. Not too demanding. But I just love this device. I love the 9 inch screen. I love the hardware. I love that I can watch my amazon prime movies on it, as well as my copied movies. To me and for my needs this is the best there is. Granted I am a baby boomer, so my eyes are not what they use to be....which is part of the reason I love this machine. Just wanted to get in a positive comment here!
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #29
EasyAs123
Love to Read
EasyAs123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition (gift), Sony PRS-T1, Nook HD+ 32GB
I was one of the lucky ones who managed to get the $90 coupon to stack on the $90 sale price. I picked up a Nook HD+ 32 GB for $119 plus tax. Now that I have it, I have a whole new learning curve.

I've had several Sony Readers over the years. I primarily download books from the FLP or my local library. I added the Sony Reader app for android and was able to copy my books onto the Nook. BUT...it copies all books and Sony has yet to upgrade the app to allow for deletions.

I also added OverDrive Media so that I could download books. However, I hate reading books in their format because it only paginates by chapter.

I would appreciate it if anyone could point me to a good post or posts or to another source to help me figure out how I want to best use my Mother's Day present. I want to be able to manage my books purchased from the Sony Store and I want to be able to continue checking books out from the library.

Any help would be appreciated!
EasyAs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I use Mantano Reader Premium for reading on my Android devices. It supports purchased Adobe-DRM ebooks. Just not sure if it also supports library books.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote