Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #31
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
How can you tell whether the paper white is indexing and when it has finished?
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #32
omega34
Enthusiast
omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My battery is fantastic so far, probably a result of keeping Wi-Fi turned off and setting the light in the 8 to 10 range. After a reading session of a couple hours, it might drop one bar, but the total battery lasts for a very long time.
omega34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #33
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I posted this at Amazon board and I reposted here for reference:

Battery life does not include the time when the device goes to sleep.

I. Battery life: 13 hours 32 minutes
1. LED brightness: level 24 (Full blast)
2. Wireless: OFF (Airplane mode)
3. Refresh at every page: OFF
4. I use the dictionary a lot. If I don't use the dictionary, my battery life might be longer.

Most people read less than 13 hours per day. So, as long as you plug your Kindle before you go to bed, your Kindle should meet your reading need for the whole day, even when the LED brightness is at full blast.

II. Battery life: 47 hours 39 minutes
1. LED brightness: level 10

Amazon advertised PW battery life with LED level 10, wireless off is 8 weeks, half an hour per day which amounts to 28 hours. So, 47 hours and 40 minutes exceeds all expectations.

III. Battery life: 49 hours 35 minutes
1. LED brightness: level 0 (lowest level)

Between LED level 10 and 0, battery life is only about 2 hours longer but keep in mind that at more than 49 hours, battery life is still significantly longer than that of Kindle Touch advertised at 2 months, half an hour per day which amounts to 30 hours.

IV. The time it takes to charge the battery: 3 hours and 20 minutes. The device is completely turned off when the battery is charged.

Note that these were battery life before upgrading to latest patch 5.3.1. Battery life might change after you upgrade.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #34
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
How can you tell whether the paper white is indexing and when it has finished?
You can tell by going to Home screen and search for gibberish character like yteyryei. If it says items not indexed, then your paperwhite is still indexing.

The quickest way to index your books is by letting it go to sleep for a while. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes per book.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah but it's been stuck at 529 for a long time. I've tried rebooting tono avail. Can someone help?
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #36
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
On the list of books it is indexing, look for one that is in lighter grey. Try to delete that one on your home page. You got it stuck on one of the books/docs that it can't index for some reason.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #37
Japes
Addict

I don't get any sort of list. It just tells me there are 500 books left to index but it doesn't tell me which ones.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #38
Japes
Addict

Any ideas?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #39
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Normally one could just download all the eBooks and let them index overnight with the charger plugged in.. 500 ebooks may require 48 hours with the charger plugged in.

I only read TWO eBooks at one time and leave just a dozen on my PW and KFHD7-32 to be able to read my highlights if I want. I see no purpose to leave 500 eBooks on the device. Just leave them in the Cloud for easy access.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-05-2013 at 10:30 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #40
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Results different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
I posted this at Amazon board and I reposted here for reference:

Battery life does not include the time when the device goes to sleep.

I. Battery life: 13 hours 32 minutes
1. LED brightness: level 24 (Full blast)
4. I use the dictionary a lot. If I don't use the dictionary, my battery life might be longer.

Most people read less than 13 hours per day. So, as long as you plug your Kindle before you go to bed, your Kindle should meet your reading need for the whole day, even when the LED brightness is at full blast.

II. Battery life: 47 hours 39 minutes
1. LED brightness: level 10

Amazon advertised PW battery life with LED level 10, wireless off is 8 weeks, half an hour per day which amounts to 28 hours. So, 47 hours and 40 minutes exceeds all expectations.

III. Battery life: 49 hours 35 minutes
1. LED brightness: level 0 (lowest level)

Between LED level 10 and 0, battery life is only about 2 hours longer but keep in mind that at more than 49 hours, battery life is still significantly longer than that of Kindle Touch advertised at 2 months, half an hour per day which amounts to 30 hours.

IV. The time it takes to charge the battery: 3 hours and 20 minutes. The device is completely turned off when the battery is charged.

Note that these were battery life before upgrading to latest patch 5.3.1. Battery life might change after you upgrade.
It should be noted that my results differ from yours. My KFHD7-32 with GSam doing the measurements shows 5.5 hours with WiFi on all the time and 7 hours with WiFi off all the time other than for syncing. Charge time to 100% as measured by GSam takes 5 hours. However, 90% could be reached in 4 hours.

My PW using a spreadsheet to measure individual reading sessions shows 10 hours with WiFi on and 12 hours with WiFi off other than for syncing. I use it at the 22 light setting. I leave it for 4 hours for a full charge while the LED turns green in just 2 hours using the Fast Charger for the FireHD from Amazon. I have page Refresh on all the time.

All of us have different units and modes of use and could have wide variations in these numbers. Plus, I recharge when the 15% signal flashes. If one goes down to 0%, then they will be getting longer reading cycles between charges.

Finally, those, who have never done a full discharge of the battery, may have defective meters and also less capacity in the battery. Those with Fires, who do not use GSam, may not be taking accurate measurements.

In actual practice now I leave WiFi on both units on all day and turn off WiFi, if I remember, every night.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-05-2013 at 10:24 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't get any sort of list. It just tells me there are 500 books left to index but it doesn't tell me which ones.
Yes it does. Tap the line which says "500 books left to index" - it's a link which will take you to a list of the books being indexed.

It's a very good idea to add a few books at a time, rather than 500 all at once. Let each batch finish indexing before adding the next.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #42
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Any ideas?
This is exactly why it's not a good idea to load hundreds of books onto your Kindle at the one time.

If you do it in small batches (say 20-30) and check to make sure they are indexing ok inbetween, then at least you've only got a small number of books from the last batch to delete and help you identify the problem one.

That's probably your answer. Delete them all, and start reloading them in small batches until the indexing gets stuck again, then it's easier to find the one that's causing the issue.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #43
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
One test I've done and I can say is: with Paperwhite being used half and hour, I kept it on, with minimum light, by my side, for nine hours. When I picked it up, it was with a little more than half the battery.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #44
Japes
Addict

This is the reason my Sony PRS-350 and 950 readers still blow away the competition. None of this ridiculous (read poor engineering) indexing, etc.

Not to mention the battery life I get with my PRS-950 blows the Kindle Paperwhite out of the water. I'm likely going to send this back. It's a shame, cause it's a beautiful device, and, the light works beautifully.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #45
Japes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes it does. Tap the line which says "500 books left to index" - it's a link which will take you to a list of the books being indexed.

It's a very good idea to add a few books at a time, rather than 500 all at once. Let each batch finish indexing before adding the next.
When I click on that link, it says "0 books left to index" which is COMPLETELY contradictory to the information given on the very line which I am clicking to get there.