Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
stehk
Enthusiast
stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2
mobipocket dictionaries on android

I'd really like to buy an android smartphone, but it's quite important for me to always have my mobipocket dictionaries with me (of which I have acculumulated some over the time)

on the android ebook reader clients thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=70921&
there are several readers listed that support prc. namely:
nook, Borders, Kindle and FBreader

But the Kindle and FBreader editions for PC don't manage to access the index at all, with any prc dictionary I tried. So my hopes aren't too high...
But if anyone knows if there is a possibility to get them working with android (I don't even need instant lookup, although it would be sweet) it would be really great.

another thing that I thought might work would be the java alpha of mobipocket http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/beta/j2me.asp
together with j2me runner for android... (again I'm quite pessimistic)

anyway if anybody knows a possibility please share
stehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
cyril
cyril began at the beginning.

Device: N95 8GB
mobipocket on Android?

Hi there
I'd only wish you'd got an answer here!
Any experience since your query ?
I've been using Mobipocket for Symbian (N95 8GB) which is regarded as quite close to the Windows pc version, but for having lot of other stuff on it, sometimes it does take time to pop my dictionary up.. so I've been looking heavily for a smarter solution too.. in case you'd found something I would very appreciate if you share that..
I've only found this magic w3 instead: what might be eventualy the best way with the W7.. just afraid of price and the run time..
http://www.pocketables.net/2011/03/a...4e5f9e860b970c
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
stehk
Enthusiast
stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Hey,
I don't really know what your needs and preferences are exactly, but i can give an update on what i did on my android.

I was able to get the java mobipocket reader version running on my android via j2me runner. And actually it did work quite well, but:
1. It didn't remember any saved settings (fullscreen!) after closing it.
2. the ebook and dictionary collection could only be accessed through a root directory created by the j2me runner (although the runner also allows access to the sd card)
so in order to get the ebooks to that directory i had to install blueftp (a java file manager) and use it to transfer my ebooks from the sdcard to that directory. The worst thing about this is, that all your dictioranies take up the space on the root of your android phone- (which applies as long as your android apps can't be installed on the sdcard directly)

so althogether i gave up on this (but it's generally possible to port j2me to android- just google
if someone wants to do that i think it could work quite well)

I now use Fora dictionary together with fbreader (which accesses fora for instant lookup and can read prc and mobie usually quite well) and converted most of my dictionaries to stardict (mobi2html)- which is tedious and you'll loose some formatting and inflections
Old 04-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Amazon has updated Kindle for Android to add dictionary support (released yesterday), perhaps that will help.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
stehk
Enthusiast

oh amazon,
you can access any dictionary by putting it in the kindle folder on your sdcard and it displays properly
-but you can only make a full text search (no index search)... so dictionaries are pretty useless

Index also doesn't work with the integrated oxford dictionary

I think this might be a legal issue- maybe oxford wanted their free dictionary only usable as an instant lookup service- so they killed the whole index functionality of dictionaries alltogether
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
The recent update added the New Oxford American Dictionary. If you select a word in a book, the pop up from NOAD will show up with the short definition. You can then select to go to NOAD to see the full definition. However, you still can't access even NOAD's index, while you are there. No other dictionary works and there is no way that I can see to change the default dictionary from NOAD to something else. So, while it is a welcome addition, it falls far short of expectations. I'd love to have full support of mobi dictionaries. I would also like support of dictionary indexes in regular books (Kindle does that), which allows one to search the text or to search the index.

It seems I said the same thing as stehk. I do not think it is connected to the licensing. I don't see them crippling a functionality just because of some NOAD. It's most likely they haven't implemented the index functionality in the first place.

Last edited by osnova; 04-23-2011 at 05:02 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
amir20591
amir20591 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi Stehk,

I currently have an ipad and as you know you can not change the default dictionary. I was wondering if you can change the default dictionary on kindle for android. I know new kindle for android has instant lookup(oxford dictionary). but were you able to change it?

Please tell me if you have tried it because I want to read spanish books and I have converted my mobipocket dictionaries to .azw and they can be used on original kindle devices but I was wondering if you can use them on kindle for android.
amir20591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
amir20591
amir20591 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stehk View Post
oh amazon,
you can access any dictionary by putting it in the kindle folder on your sdcard and it displays properly
-but you can only make a full text search (no index search)... so dictionaries are pretty useless

Index also doesn't work with the integrated oxford dictionary

I think this might be a legal issue- maybe oxford wanted their free dictionary only usable as an instant lookup service- so they killed the whole index functionality of dictionaries alltogether
Hi Stehk,

I currently have an ipad and as you know you can not change the default dictionary. I was wondering if you can change the default dictionary on kindle for android. I know new kindle for android has instant lookup(oxford dictionary). but were you able to change it?

Please tell me if you have tried it because I want to read spanish books and I have converted my mobipocket dictionaries to .azw and they can be used on original kindle devices but I was wondering if you can use them on kindle for android.
amir20591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amir20591 View Post
I was wondering if you can change the default dictionary on kindle for android. I know new kindle for android has instant lookup(oxford dictionary). but were you able to change it?
Nope. No way to change the dictionary in Kindle for Android (yet).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
stehk
Enthusiast

It is possible!!

Ok so actually out of boredom (and because it regularly pains me that it's not possible) I was looking for a way today to use all my precious mobipocket dictionaries on my android.

And today it worked!!!

You can use this program to emulate PalmOS on an Android device:
http://styletap.com/product_android.php
It costs 50 dollar but it works:

Now you only need the palm version for the mobipocket reader:
http://mobipocket-reader.en.softonic...ownloadhttp://

I put the mobipocket file into:
/Android/data/com.StyleTap.StyleTap/import

The dictionaries I put in the root folder of the sd-card (maybe there is a more elegant way)

and voila:

I have just taken a look so far and only half of my screen is palm screen and the resolution is 320 times 320 or something but it works smoothly with all dictionaries I have tested so far. (new oxford among them)

EDIT:
For some dictionaries I needed this file:
http://www.4shared.com/get/G2Ek9fDy/MathLib.html

unfortunately they are all down at the mobipocket site

Last edited by stehk; 09-21-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
I have not tried it myself but there are reports that you can (although with some effort) use a custom mobi/prc dictionary with Kindle for Android now (3.6.x versions):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...x1TP0PSVB5RMFB
EDIT: I have tried it and it works just fine for my older customized Dutch->English dictionary. The only drawback is that it has to be mapped to another language (Dutch is not in the menu). Not a clean solution but hey, it works!

Another possible solution would be Moon+Reader with Stardict/ColorDict. You would need to get rid of DRM of your mobi dictionaries and convert them to Stardict format. The conversion process would need a lot of work though - some custom scripts would be needed. (I have not tried this path)

Last edited by janvanmaar; 09-22-2012 at 12:41 PM.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
stehk
Enthusiast

Thanks for posting!
But, correct me if I'm wrong, this still doesn't solve the problem, that there is no keyword or index search in the kindle for android app.

However I always liked the old mobipocket app a lot and was very happy to get it working on my android (even if only half of my screen is used). Multiple dictionary instant lookup, keyword search, colors and generally way more options than the kindle app.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
With the trick above, there is multiple dictionary instant lookup plus there is full text search possible in the dictionary. No index search as far as I know (sometimes possible to "emulate")
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, dictionary, mobi, prc