Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
spostv
spostv began at the beginning.

Device: none
Red face New Reader

Hi,

I'm from Adelaide Australia and am new to this forum and to ebooks and have spent a couple of days researching ereaders and wanting to buy one. Kindle 3 appears to be the best in the market according to what I have read, but I am not sure if it is better to have a reader whereby you can access books, bought and free from all areas and what functions and applications are important, such as dictionary, wi-fi, 3G etc. Would really appreciate advice and feedback. Cheers.

Vera
spostv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Hi Vera, welcome ! There's the Which one should I buy thread, where you'll find plenty of advice from a lot of knowledgeable people.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
spostv

Thanks Iridal, I'll try that!!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread....

There's a matrix of readers in our Wiki...see link in my signature....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I agree that the kindle is great but lets be clear about what its advantages and disadvantages are, Advantages:

1) Search function
2) Owner identification - you can put your name in it
3) Notes in the margins
4) Multi-lingual dictionaries
5) Hardware keyboard

Disadvantages:

1) Price - its rather expensive
2) Covers - Cost extra

My Libra Pro does not have any of the great things about the kindle however it costs $100 and comes with a free cover.

So If you buy the kindle make sure that you are willing to live with the disadvantages, you might be a lot of people are. For my dollars I am simply not willing to spend that much.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Spostv. Before making a decision, you might want to take a look at the new Australian 'Kogan' e-book reader. I bought one a couple of months ago for an author friend in Adelaide and she's delighted with it because of its ability to handle so many digital formats and her own ability to buy, borrow or freely download books wherever she likes. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR! I hope you find the perfect e-reader for you. FWIW, I love both my Kindles :-)

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, welcome to MR from the Netherland.
I have two Kindles with free 3G (also something to consider) and a good Amazoncustomerservice. There's also lots of people at MR with Sony's, Nooks, iPad, Pocketbook, iPhone and what-not, that are extremely happy with their ereader. It's also a personal thing and depends on what your priorities are.
There's a lot of info about ereaders to be found on MR, also we have free classic ebooks and an informative Wiki. Have fun choosing and enjoy your ereading.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #11
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Welcome to the board! I happen to think that Sony makes the best ereader on the market, and you'll find (as you already have) that everyone has an opinion about this matter. As desertblues says, it's a personal matter and depends on your priorities. For me, Sony fits the bill on what I want and need. I can still get Amazon freebies on my droid, if I'm so inclined...
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
spostv

Thankyou everyone for all your feedback, at this stage nothing much on board in Adelaide, all sold out so will continue my investigations on-line! Will look into the Adelaide model also.

Cheers to you all.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #13
happycrafter
happycrafter began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Another newbie

Hi folks!
I see there are a few other folks who posted introductions today, seems lot's of people are finding this site! I got my first ebook for Christmas--a Kindle 3. I'm a prolific reader, and am loving it. I have been discovering different sites since then that have free books, and was happy to stumble on this site after a reference to it on the kindle forum. Looks like a great site!
happycrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:55 AM   #14
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by spostv View Post
Hi,

I'm from Adelaide Australia and am new to this forum and to ebooks and have spent a couple of days researching ereaders and wanting to buy one. Kindle 3 appears to be the best in the market according to what I have read, but I am not sure if it is better to have a reader whereby you can access books, bought and free from all areas and what functions and applications are important, such as dictionary, wi-fi, 3G etc. Would really appreciate advice and feedback. Cheers.

Vera
Another Aussie! Welcome. What everyone has suggested are all good ideas, though Kindles seem to have a few weeks wait time for international orders (or did a few days ago) and the Sony's are sold out for a while. Evil holiday sales.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:08 AM   #15
iq6000
Enthusiast
iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: ECO Reader, iPhone
Hi Vera, welcome!
One of my sisters lives in Adelaide - I have been there for work a couple of times. I love the city, with its quaint old buildings (and extremely ugly "modern" buildings - what is with that?) and the food available there is truly incredible!

I bought a different reader which is available in Australia - ECOReader.
I did quite a bit of internet research before I decided on this one. It fulfils many of my requirements beautifully. Of course like any new product you might not figure out just how you will use it until you have already bought one!
For instance, I thought it would be best to have a reader which would support multiple formats, but with the help of the Calibre software I have converted all my ebooks to just a couple of my (now!) preferred formats. On the other hand, I wanted something with a long battery life because we travel a bit in the campervan, and I don't have to think about recharging if we decide to stop for a week or so away from power.

This forum is a fantastic source of information and advice.

Angela
iq6000 is offline   Reply With Quote