Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Tools of the Trade

Tools:
Calibre (with various free plug ins)
Sigil

Ebook Reader:
Sony PRS700 (ePub,PDF)
Sony Daily Editions (PRS 950)
iPad

Book Stores
Sony Reader Library (ePub, you do need a sony reader)
Barnes and Noble (ePub, via B&N DRM)
Borders (ePub)
Kobi (ePub)
Amazon (MOBI via Amazon, mostly)
Baen Books Sci Fi and Fantasy (various formats,paid and free books no DMR)
Fictionwise (lots of books with multi format and no DMR on those)
Couple of public library (various formats, new ones seem to be ePub)
Others...

What do you use?
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I find that Calibre is only needed if you have a lot of ebooks, which I don't as yet so I have put off using calibre for now.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Oh believe me, the best time to START using Calibre is when you don't have many books because waiting until you have 200+ of them and then having to add them all in at once is an entire afternoon.

Tools
Kindle 2
Kindle 3
Sony Pocket
iPad x 2
iPhone
Plus there are the ones I'm lusting after like the Pocketbook and the Notion Ink Adam.

Vendors - Oh way many. I'm a price slut.

I'd add in some websites
Inkmesh (Price Comparison)
BooksOnTheKnob
MobileRead
and the places that supply some of those Calbire Tools
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The one and only tool: vim (well, plus infozip, plus csplit, grep, recode and other tools).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Tools (for Mac)
Python
Perl
Terminal
"Tools"
Smultron
TextWrangler
KindleGen
Kindle Previewer
Mobi2Mobi
Ye Trusty Olde VPN IP Proxy

Reader
Kindle 2
ePubReader add-on for Firefox
Lucidor

Vendors I'll Actually Buy From On A Semi-Regular Basis
Baen Webscriptions
BookViewCafé
Fictionwise

Sources for Free Books and Occasional Purchase
Amazon
B&N
Borders
direct from author (if offered on website in usable format and reasonable terms)
Feedbooks/Manybooks/MobileRead & other PG re-formatters
Google Books
Kobo
the library
Project Gutenberg & spinoffs
promotional giveaways
Sony
Smashwords (for rights-reverted backlist print books)

Sites for Info
EreaderIQ
Inkmesh
MobileRead
ThreePress Consulting Blog (creators of epubcheck)
certain sites that are to remain nameless due to MR considerations re: discussing
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Tools
Perl - to reformat large .txt files, clean things up and parse into individual files
MultiEdit - Powerful programmers editor with macros to un-justify and reformat paragraphs
Sigil - to create ePub from .txt file
Calibre - To manage library

Sites for Info
MobileRead - of course
GoodReads - to help manage wish-lists

Sites for Content
Inkmesh - favorite search engine for ebooks
asstr.org - Archive of old & current Usenet stories (adult)
Amazon
B&N
oreilly.com

Hardware
Sony 550 - My first and favorite
Kindle 2 - Bought for my wife and mother but mother bought a Nook so I kept one
Windows XP desktop - old but beloved
MacbookPro - For my linux work
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Great list ! I'll have to check out BookViewCafé, never heard of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Tools (for Mac)
Python
Perl
Terminal
"Tools"
Smultron
TextWrangler
KindleGen
Kindle Previewer
Mobi2Mobi
Ye Trusty Olde VPN IP Proxy

Reader
Kindle 2
ePubReader add-on for Firefox
Lucidor

Vendors I'll Actually Buy From On A Semi-Regular Basis
Baen Webscriptions
BookViewCafé
Fictionwise

Sources for Free Books and Occasional Purchase
Amazon
B&N
Borders
direct from author (if offered on website in usable format and reasonable terms)
Feedbooks/Manybooks/MobileRead & other PG re-formatters
Google Books
Kobo
the library
Project Gutenberg & spinoffs
promotional giveaways
Sony
Smashwords (for rights-reverted backlist print books)

Sites for Info
EreaderIQ
Inkmesh
MobileRead
ThreePress Consulting Blog (creators of epubcheck)
certain sites that are to remain nameless due to MR considerations re: discussing
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-Me View Post
I'll have to check out BookViewCafé, never heard of them
Do, especially if you like SF/fantasy (also a few mystery, historical, romance, but mainly sf/f).

BVC are a loosely-affiliated group of established midlist print authors who've gotten together to offer their rights-reverted backlist books on pretty much the same terms that Baen's Webscription does: DRM-free, MultiFormat, online reading, re-downloadable at any time, priced at $4.99 or less for individual titles, omnibus bundles available.

They've even got a "free library" of short stories and novellas that you can read to sample the authors' works, and even offer some of the novels as serialized web chapters (and encourage you to buy the e-reader version for portable reading). And they also re-sell through Smashwords and thence to Kobo, so you can use discount coupons on their books if they're participating in a particular sale (they did a few giveaway/% off certain titles during Read an E-book Week this March).

Currently, they're offering a time-limited promotional free download of Vonda M. McIntyre's Starfarers (published in the 80s by Ace, I think). Linking to the post in the Deals forum, because apparently there's a margin display issue with the ePub and people gave advice on how to fix it.

It's a great project and I hope more authors/publishers will get together to do something like this (or just plain join up to offer stuff at BVC or Baen's Webscriptions).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Tools
Calibre+Plugins
Non-plugin scripts related to the above
Python Collections script <--can't live without it
Kindle4PC
Nook4PC
Adobe Digital Editions
Mobipocket Reader Pro (avail. for free these days, sometimes good for pdf conversions. Sometimes.)
Sigil
Mobipocket Creator
Kindle Previewer
ConvertLit GUI (Yes, they still exist. They're even still being sold.)
GIMP for fixing book covers

Hardware
Kindle 3 wifi+3g
Dell Inspiron 11z w/Vista
Compaq Presario v2000 w/XP
Do pen and paper count? They come in handy too.

Sites for Books
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Diesel (only when I have to)
Feedbooks
MobileRead
eHarlequin
Fictionwise
Baen
AllRomance
Girlebooks
Smashwords
ManyBooks
Internet Archive
Book View Cafe
Project Gutenberg
Direct - I've gotten several from authors' sites/blogs and even via email

Sites for Info
MobileRead, and sites I've found through MobileRead. Seriously, pretty much everything I've learned started right here. Sometimes I check out the Amazon Kindle board but it usually makes me want to run back here and cry.

Edited to add Project Gutenberg.

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 01-03-2011 at 03:25 PM.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Tools:
Calibre+Plugins
FictionBook Designer
Book Designer 5
Nitro PDF Pro
Acrobat 7
Notepad2
PSPad

Ebook Reader:
Kindle 3 Wifi+3G
Halin v5 clone

Book Stores:
Amazon
Kobo Books
Books On Board
CyberRead
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I'm easy

Tools:
Calibre
Kobo Desktop app (rarely)

Ebook Reader:
Kobo (Original)

Book Stores:
Kobo (Haven't really needed to go elsewhere yet )
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Tools:
MS Word, with Adobe conversion SW
Dreamweaver
Sigil
Mobipocket Creator

Hardware:
Laptop PC
Smartphone
(Just got: iPad and Nook Color)

Bookstores:
Wherever--I search books, not bookstores
(and I don't just buy from bookstores)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
[B]Bookstores:
Wherever--I search books, not bookstores
(and I don't just buy from bookstores)
Agreed. Some of my best finds have come from flea markets and junk shops. That includes both books and music (mostly 78s and LP vinyl).
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote