Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #46
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Autonooter? Here is a prime example why you never let programmers name anything! Come on, it sounds like a device you put your dog or cat into and press the button to have them automatically neutered! The RONCO Autonooter.
LMAO!!!

And the haircut/vacuum thing...Flowbee. And they are still sold!
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #47
bilbothejust
Enthusiast
bilbothejust is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad -> Nook Color
I just wanted to put in my two cents about the 1.0.1 update from B&N...I un-rooted and then used the sideload install package from B&N to update. I left the WiFi on all night...no real change in battery drain, and no appreciable change in connecting. It wasn't an issue before though.

Web browsing experience - dismal. It is still not very well done. The rooted NC with Dolphin or whatever your preference was many times better.

Any other things noticed - nothing that I can see and I've gone to every screen and poked and prodded and still can't see anything that would make it a compelling argument to update.

With all that, I'd say if you currently happy with your rooted NC at 1.0, then I'd keep it that way until the 2.0 release comes.

I'm just sayin...
bilbothejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #48
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Quote:
Autonooter? Here is a prime example why you never let programmers name anything! Come on, it sounds like a device you put your dog or cat into and press the button to have them automatically neutered! The RONCO Autonooter.
Speaking of confusion, anyone remember The Far Side comic where the dog sticks his head out of the car window on his way out the driveway and says excitedly to the neighbor dog, "Hey, Rusty, I'm going to vet to get tutored!"
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #49
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Speaking of confusion, anyone remember The Far Side comic where the dog sticks his head out of the car window on his way out the driveway and says excitedly to the neighbor dog, "Hey, Rusty, I'm going to vet to get tutored!"
I remember it fondly.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #50
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
The Android Market is new and updated across all Android devices, and a much better experience than the last market.
I still use Appbrain almost exclusively, but I appreciate the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
Hm...the website doesn't mention a marketplace, I thought they were going to roll it out in the first update?
This wasn't a full OS update, just a patch to help address WiFi issues a lot of NC owners were experiencing.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #51
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not sure which is worse; that or Nubco's Dentist-in-a-Box.
I prefer home LASIK.

http://www.lasikathome.com/foureasysteps.htm
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:16 AM   #52
becsta
Enthusiast
becsta doesn't litterbecsta doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura
I didnt stop the auto downloaded and today my NC was upgraded. When I press the N it gives me the options of the different launchers but only the home one works. Do I need to factory reset to re root or can I just run the new nooter?
becsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:23 AM   #53
becsta
Enthusiast
becsta doesn't litterbecsta doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura
Just re rooted. It was so easy this time round I wish it had been so easy the first time.
becsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #54
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Well, this is interesting....

I had been waiting for the autoupdate for the last several days, leaving WiFi ON all this time, and nothing....nada.....zip.

When I first got my NC, I did register it with B&N, but as I was using Calibre for my book manager and downloads I did not immediately authorize my device with Adobe Digital Editions. Today, I opened ADE and connected my NC and authorized it and NOT !5 SECONDS after the ADE authorization was finished and I disconnected my NC from my computer the NC suddenly rebooted itself to the installation screen "A new software update is being installed....". I now have version 1.0.1 installed.

So...for autoupdates to work your NC has to be authorized to ADE as well? I didn't know that....
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #55
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
Well, this is interesting....

I had been waiting for the autoupdate for the last several days, leaving WiFi ON all this time, and nothing....nada.....zip.

When I first got my NC, I did register it with B&N, but as I was using Calibre for my book manager and downloads I did not immediately authorize my device with Adobe Digital Editions. Today, I opened ADE and connected my NC and authorized it and NOT !5 SECONDS after the ADE authorization was finished and I disconnected my NC from my computer the NC suddenly rebooted itself to the installation screen "A new software update is being installed....". I now have version 1.0.1 installed.

So...for autoupdates to work your NC has to be authorized to ADE as well? I didn't know that....
Perhaps that action triggered a sync that initiated the download. For people that only plan on purchasing their content from B&N and don't have any ADE epub books to sideload and are not interested in library books, there's no reason to use Adobe Digital Editions for anything. These individuals would not receive an update if it was required.

Last edited by SCION; 12-22-2010 at 12:29 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #56
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Perhaps that action triggered a sync that initiated the download. For people that only plan on purchasing their content from B&N and don't have any ADE epub books to sideload and are not interested in library books, there's no reason to use Adobe Digital Editions for anything. These individuals would not receive an update if it was required.
(shrugs my shoulders)...you got me. Maybe it did trigger something (although I HAD been pressing the Sync icon on my NC several times with no results then either), but I dunno.....seemed like way too much of a coincidence to me as it happened virtually immediately. Can't figure it out....
Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #57
jswinden
Nameless Being

Out of curiousity, why would you need ADE activation? NOOK ePub books work without it. NonDRMed PDFs seem to work in QuickOffice, though with next to no functionality. Is it required for DRMed PDFs? Sony DRMed ePubs are easily deDRMED and sideloaded, and don't require ADE on the NC either. Well, I say that since I did not connect the NC, open ADE, then activate it. I assume you have to manually do so.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #58
leday
Groupie

Quote:
Out of curiousity, why would you need ADE activation? NOOK ePub books work without it. NonDRMed PDFs seem to work in QuickOffice, though with next to no functionality. Is it required for DRMed PDFs? Sony DRMed ePubs are easily deDRMED and sideloaded, and don't require ADE on the NC either. Well, I say that since I did not connect the NC, open ADE, then activate it. I assume you have to manually do so.
I have no idea really. I don't use ADE actually. I purchase my books from several stores that sell in the epub format (mainly the Sony Store and Books On Board), strip the DRM and use Calibre. I just decided on a whim to authorize my device to the ADE program and somehow it triggered the download. Maybe it is a coincidence, but it happened immediately after I did it, when I had been waiting for days with no joy before then. Don't know why.

Last edited by leday; 12-22-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #59
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
...Well, I say that since I did not connect the NC, open ADE, then activate it. I assume you have to manually do so.
Yes, correct.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #60
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Did anyone's NC get updated even after disabling it?

Seems that mine has.

I was using it just fine up to last night with a bit of reading before bed.

This morning, I unlock the screen and it keeps asking me to select the app to complete the action (home, softkeys, and zeam). Zeam won't work at all. Softkeys only lets me see the softkeys screen. the NC's Home is the only thing that seems to work. I checked the version and it says "1.0.1"

*SIGH* I didn't want to have to reinstall all my apps and books.

Autonooter here I come!

Last edited by zeroh; 12-24-2010 at 11:11 AM.
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote