Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 02:25 AM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
Is it comparable to the ipad?
No; the iPad is overpriced and the Nook Color isn't.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #47
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Plus, we are waiting to see how dumbed-down the NC is in comparison to the iPad. I don't expect it to be comparable to the iPad.

The iPad is actually quite versatile, even given the many buit-in limitations. How versatile will the NC be? Will it be a very versatile ereader, or will it be a useful-but-even-more-restricted-iPad?

Either of those is acceptable to me. But if it is just an LCD nook classic without much more to offer than a larger screen, then if I were to choose, it would be the nook classic.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Plus, we are waiting to see how dumbed-down the NC is in comparison to the iPad. I don't expect it to be comparable to the iPad.

The iPad is actually quite versatile, even given the many buit-in limitations. How versatile will the NC be? Will it be a very versatile ereader, or will it be a useful-but-even-more-restricted-iPad?

Either of those is acceptable to me. But if it is just an LCD nook classic without much more to offer than a larger screen, then if I were to choose, it would be the nook classic.
The only thing dumbed down about it is lack of official app store access. Once it's hacked, apps will be available and then the two devices will be fairly comparable.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #49
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
My local B&N said they would have demos and actual devices for sale next week. They allowed me to place a hold on one until I could see it demo'd. I can't wait!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #50
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

I thinks a very versatile ereader, I think the lack of an Android market was purposley done so it wouldn't be just another tablet thrown into the ring but one that concentrates on the reading aspect of tablets and enhancing the experience in ways that just can't do with e ink as of yet.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #51
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I thinks a very versatile ereader, I think the lack of an Android market was purposley done so it wouldn't be just another tablet thrown into the ring but one that concentrates on the reading aspect of tablets and enhancing the experience in ways that just can't do with e ink as of yet.
As has already been said by some people on the Nook boards, at the moment Google only allows access to the Android market to devices that have certain hardware (mobile phone) specifications like GPS and a camera (I have read somewhere that 3G is not a requirement anymore).
So at the moment most of the cheaper tablets and the Nook Color are not even allowed access to the Android market.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #52
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I have been investigating the ATT Captivate Android smart phone, and while I find nothing that states outright "the app Marketplace can only be accessed via 3g", I find a few references to the inability to access the Marketplace via Wifi. I am, then, unclear regarding the 3g requirement. But I do have a problem REQUIRING one to use up their data plan to buy and update apps.

Therefore, if the Marketplace can only be accessed via 3G, that pretty much leaves the (unhacked) nookColor behind for the time being.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #53
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Restricted App Store

Quote:
Agreed. This is an eBook reader first and foremost, with a few additions. B&N can now take control of what goes on there and keep it at the top of the eReader charts, rather than being an iPad, Galaxy Tab wannabe.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #54
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
I have been investigating the ATT Captivate Android smart phone, and while I find nothing that states outright "the app Marketplace can only be accessed via 3g", I find a few references to the inability to access the Marketplace via Wifi. I am, then, unclear regarding the 3g requirement. But I do have a problem REQUIRING one to use up their data plan to buy and update apps.

Therefore, if the Marketplace can only be accessed via 3G, that pretty much leaves the (unhacked) nookColor behind for the time being.
You can access the market place via wi fi on the samsungs android phones in fact everything downloada and installs faster
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #55
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

Quote:
You can access the market place via wi fi on the samsungs android phones in fact everything downloada and installs faster
Thanks for the clarification. Kinda silly that I had to get that answer in an ereader forum and couldn't find any specific reference in any Captivate forums. Of course, I haven't actually joined any Captivate forums in order to ask the specific question.

Thanks again.

Edit: I went ahead and joined one of the Captivate forums (required in order to search) and find that yes, indeed, the app Marketplace is available via wifi. It is Android updates that cannot be done over wifi.

So. The absence of 3G is NOT the contributing factor to no Marketplace access. Prince Hal and boswd probably have it right in B&N's decision is to keep the NC primarily an ereader and not just another Tab wannabe.

Last edited by eGeezer; 11-11-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #56
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Prince Hal and boswd probably have it right in B&N's decision is to keep the NC primarily an ereader and not just another Tab wannabe.
I think that's smart of B&N. Do one thing really well. People will hack it anyway.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #57
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
okay

if I droped a nookcolour from 10 floors up... how far will it bounce?
Just let me know first before you drop it. I'm sure I'll be there to cushion it in my hand/arm.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #58
marijean
marijean began at the beginning.

Device: nook, ipad
right kind of device for e-textbooks

Will the new barnes and noble ColorNook be able to read text books. i am very anxious to get something that does this.
i am a medical student and have mountains of books to go through and carry around.

but the other 2 options for ebook readers don't have what i want, or have way too much.
the kindle is in black and white and my text books are all in color.
the Ipad is also another choice, but the Ipad as a million functions that i don't need. i just want a reader that can read text books in color
marijean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #59
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
imo 7" isn't really the ideal form factor for textbooks, I'm guessing for med you'll have a ton of diagrams and charts and whatever and you'll be constantly zooming in and out, which is really a pain when studying seriously. Heck the kno dedicated textbook reader is 14" or dual 14" :O 7-inch screens are ok if it's mostly text or cliff notes, but in my experience if there's a ton of diagrams and charts it gets hectic fast.

Also, see if the textbooks are actually available on that platform, I wouldn't know.

Also, if you're a med student there might be useful medicial database and apps on iOS or Android. Most important thing is to go where the content is.

Last edited by ypocaramel; 11-23-2010 at 01:41 AM.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #60
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
So. The absence of 3G is NOT the contributing factor to no Marketplace access.
But lack of GPS and camera are.
Plus B&N also probably want to control what apps go on the device. Can't imagine they would be too impressed if people started installing the Kindle app and buying books from Amazon
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook color