Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by elenchusjunkie View Post
Hi,

Hopefully this isn't off-topic.

I'm new to both Calibre and iPad. I'm trying to convert JSTORE PDFs to EPUB so that I can read them on the iPad. (Apple: no native PDF support?!) Anyway, I've gotten the PDFs converted, into iTunes, and synced to the iPad. The "books" show up in iBook, but mysteriously something I've done in the process has interleaved blank pages throughout the book. So, a 10-page PDF becomes a 20-page book, with every other page blank. Very strange (and unattractive).

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
You could spend $1 and buy a PDF reading app for the iPad and save yourself a lot of headaches.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by elenchusjunkie View Post
I'm trying to convert JSTORE PDFs to EPUB so that I can read them on the iPad. (Apple: no native PDF support?!)
Actually, Safari does support viewing PDFs... of course you have to be able to browse to them with a URL... and they don't become local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
You could spend $1 and buy a PDF reading app for the iPad and save yourself a lot of headaches.
BTW: That app is GoodReader. Many members like it a lot.... There is a video using it on YouTube linked in another thread... but I'll put it here for you.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #18
phearlez
phearlez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I wonder if, for folks on the mac, an applescript solution could be had? Best would be if calibre fired it off and talked to iTunes itself but an Automator script could monitor a directory and add things that way.
phearlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I hadn't thought about Automator. Frankly that's a program I should use more often!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #20
fishfuzz
fishfuzz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Use Calibre to save your publications automatically to DropBox (free), then you could pull them from GoodReader over WiFi anywhere you are. You'll have to read them from GoodReader. Currently GoodReader doesn't support ePub, but you could convert those to PDFs.
fishfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #21
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Another program to consider is Evernote It is a paid app unless you are already a premium member ($45 a yr), it works on all formats of computers, web capable phones and on the new IPAD. I love it! Even the free online edition supports PDFs.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #22
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
Personally I like the Kindle reader for the ipad better than the ibook reader, yes it is cute that the ibook turns the pages, but I find the horizontal view showing me two smaller pages less comfortable to read than kindles horizontal 1 page view, plus the sepia background on the kindle app is easier on my eyes. Anyway with this I will continue buying books from amazon, this way I hope nt to need Calibre for awhile.
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #23
MsAstoria
Evangelist

All true, I am sure (course I don't have my Ipad yet) but I find the dark background on my Kindle too dark for any low light area and look forward to having the lit unit. I suspect it will be no worse than reading on my computer which works fine for me. I am pleased that Kindle has an Ipad app so I can continue to read my long bookshelf of Amazon downloaded books and I love downloading the free ones too! I have already loaded my I-tunes with apps and also EPUB books in anticipation of Ipad arriving later this month.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Another program to consider is Evernote It is a paid app unless you are already a premium member ($45 a yr), it works on all formats of computers, web capable phones and on the new IPAD. I love it! Even the free online edition supports PDFs.
Evernote is quite free... for all platforms.

A premium gives you more upload bandwidth per month. I am a premium member which increases your monthly upload allowance, and also add support for many file types... and in addition to OCRing image files they will also OCR pdfs.

I am always amazed when I do a search in Evernote and it finds hand written notes/text on documents that I have scanned in.

BOb
Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #25
MsAstoria
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Evernote is quite free... for all platforms.

A premium gives you more upload bandwidth per month. I am a premium member which increases your monthly upload allowance, and also add support for many file types... and in addition to OCRing image files they will also OCR pdfs.

I am always amazed when I do a search in Evernote and it finds hand written notes/text on documents that I have scanned in.

BOb
yes, the app is free, and looks like Evernote techs are working on crash bugs on Ipad. Another complaint from new Ipad owners is that the notes you open don't fill the Ipad screen so are hard to read. I hope they get those issues fixed quickly cause it is a great program. I am a premium member too and find it invaluable for my business record keeping.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
yes, the app is free, and looks like Evernote techs are working on crash bugs on Ipad. Another complaint from new Ipad owners is that the notes you open don't fill the Ipad screen so are hard to read. I hope they get those issues fixed quickly cause it is a great program. I am a premium member too and find it invaluable for my business record keeping.
I have no doubt they will resolve this issues. I have been very impressed by the Evernote team.

Keep in mind they did all their initial testing on an iPad emulator which as we devs know from experience aren't 100% accurate. They got an iPad Saturday they same time as the public did.

BOb
Old 06-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #27
lazyartist
lazyartist began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad is my only Computer :)
Pdf on Ipad

For those who don't know Ibook for ipad now reads PDF directly. Just use the itunes to directly import the pdf's, don't use calibre until it is updated.

Calibre will only sync ebub right now for the ipad, which tends to have a bunch of layout errors, and won't sync pdf's without converting them first.

Make sure you update both itunes and ibook
lazyartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #28
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Calibre 0.7.5 supports PDF uploads to iDevices through iTunes, should be released this weekend.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, epub, ipad, kindle