Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
iPod Touch--PDA as well as e-book reader?

I'm considering asking for an iPod Touch for my half-birthday (which sounds a little odd, so I'll explain: because of travel considerations my family has taken to celebrating everyone's birthday in the summer.)

In addition to playing music they can be used as e-book readers (though for me it would only be a back-up intended for short term reading as I have my Kindle with me much of the time) and I've heard murmurs that they can also function as PDAs.

How about it, you Touch users out there? If I get the 2nd Gen Touch, will it work as a PDA? I need calendar (with the option of an alarm to remind me of an appointment), contacts, and some sort of note app (to keep a shopping list on and that kind of thing). It would be nice if calendar and contacts could talk to each other (If "3:00pm Meet Cyndi" in the calendar could easily call up Cyndi's phone number in contacts, for instance), but that isn't a dealbreaker.

I'd be interested in any advice you have. Thanks!
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I'm considering asking for an iPod Touch for my half-birthday (which sounds a little odd, so I'll explain: because of travel considerations my family has taken to celebrating everyone's birthday in the summer.)

In addition to playing music they can be used as e-book readers (though for me it would only be a back-up intended for short term reading as I have my Kindle with me much of the time) and I've heard murmurs that they can also function as PDAs.

How about it, you Touch users out there? If I get the 2nd Gen Touch, will it work as a PDA? I need calendar (with the option of an alarm to remind me of an appointment), contacts, and some sort of note app (to keep a shopping list on and that kind of thing). It would be nice if calendar and contacts could talk to each other (If "3:00pm Meet Cyndi" in the calendar could easily call up Cyndi's phone number in contacts, for instance), but that isn't a dealbreaker.

go to the aps store for the iTouch, iPhone and browse through that for calendaring and shopping utiltites. I have a really cool grocery list program and lots of other helpful utilities on my iTouch. I also setup Calibre so that I can access my Calibre library on my iTouch (epub format). Here is the ap store link http://appshopper.com/

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Quote:
The Touch is a very nice PDA. It syncs with Outlook easily thru iTunes. So, you need a Windows or Mac PC to use it that way. I used mine for a reader prior to getting an e-ink reader. For me, it's downfall as a reader is limited battery life!

Norm
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
It's a good PDA. I use the calendar function, and you can do a ton of other things with the plethora of apps out there. I love the grocery list app I got.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Best PDA ever... I've used palms, microsoft devices, etc... iPod is incredible as a PDA and just about as close to "all in one device" as you get.

I use mine as a backup reader, too. I don't like reading on the device much, but in a pinch it'll save me from boredom. I'm referring here to the iPhone, actually, but all that functionality exists in the ipod as well.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
It has built-in Calendar and Notes app. I don't really use the Calendar app, but the Notes app, I do, quite frequently. For me, the biggest con of the built-in Notes app is the lack of handwriting recognition. Good news, there are plenty of apps in the iTunes App Store to supplement this shortcoming.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:

I've been using my 1st gen Touch as a PDA (purchased 'gently used' through eBay) and ebook reader for about three weeks now. I needed to be able to buy and read Kindle ebooks and it is working GREAT for that!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I picked up my girlfriend an ipod touch, mainly as a reader.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote