Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2016, 04:59 AM   #1
kool
kool began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500; iPad; K3
Help needed - Kindle 3 books not showing up

Hello everyone,
Need your help desperately

Whenever I try to send books to my K3 through Calibre, they appear on my Kindle perfectly.However, next time when I connect my K3 again to PC through USB for charging etc, after disconnecting (safe disconnect) no books show up on my K3 except for Dictionary. Even they get erased from the device. Connecting with Calibre second time, Calibre shows blank K3.

I tried to manually copy books to documents folder through PC. But they don’t appear on Kindle. Although they are there in folder called documents

I have tried hard reset by pressing on/off button for 40 seconds

I have even done Factory Reset

Can anyone help me here
kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:58 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That sounds like the flash chip has failed.

Your device is toast.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
kool

Oh nooooo
Old 05-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, you did say the files mysteriously disappear without a trace from the device, right? That is not normal.
(Often they seem to stick around until the next time the device is rebooted, although that is a result of the files being cached in-memory.)

Not much you can do if the hardware is malfunctioning.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
kool

Thanks a lot Eschwartz for your interest
Let me rephrase the situation...
I am aware of three ways to get books on the device other than actual purchases from Kindle Store

1- email mobi files - books arrive at K3 through wifi and they appear on K3 home screen as long as I don't connect K3 to PC through USB. Once I reconnect to PC through USB, I neither see them in K3 documents folder nor they show up in K3 home screen

2- direct transfer from PC through USB - I can see ebooks in documents folder when I am connected to PC through USB but after disconnecting from PC the ebooks don't appear in K3 home screen. When I connect again to PC through USB, I can see them in documents folder

3- transfer through Calibre - when I transfer from Calibre and eject device from PC, I can see ebooks on K3 home screen but when I reconnect to PC through USB, these ebooks disappear (both from documents folder and K3 home screen.

Reboot has not helped...

Eager to hear some solution...
Old 05-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1) Common result of a bad eMMC flash chip.
2) Same
3) Same

When you do see things, you are looking at a memory cache file, not at the flash contents (which never change - its broke).

Either replace the eMMC chip or scrap out the Kindle 'for parts'
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
It is also possible that the flash file system is getting corrupted by improper USB dismount procedures (not ejecting before detaching), rather than bad eMMC. However, unlikely and would just cause delayed mounting while the file system is repaired (in most cases). There are multiple causes for flash content corruption, but bad eMMC is one possibilty.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
kool

Thanks Geekmaster...
I have been ejecting K3 from PC before detaching the USB