Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
jams1fan
Kindled
jams1fan is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle, Treo 700p
Just learned something new....

I've had my Kindle for several months so I love that I'm still learning things about it. For instance, one cannot "clip" text from a sample. I'm previewing a book and wanted to send a friend an excerpt from it. Kindle will allow you to "highlight" text, but the highlight will not show up in "My Clippings." Anyone else encounter this? I suppose it makes sense that you can't "clip" until you buy the book.

PS...So, I purchased the book hoping that this would activate the highlights in the sample. It doesn't. I had to re-highlight in the purchased copy.

Last edited by jams1fan; 11-22-2008 at 05:08 PM.
jams1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Here's an interesting post I read recently about the limit for text clipping.

Quote:
dog says:
I know there is a limit ,but not sure how much. Here is an old posting from a reader about clippings:

I did a test with a DRM'd Amazon book and a non-DRM'd book.

Using text size 1, with the Amazon book I was able to clip 39 pages. I got the error on the 40th page.

Using text size 1, with a non-DRM'd book, I clipped 80 pages with no problem. My fingers got tired so I quit, but I think you can draw your own conclusions. I did this AFTER the first test, so the limit is not in the myclippings.txt file itself. All the clips from both tests were in there.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jams1fan View Post
PS...So, I purchased the book hoping that this would activate the highlights in the sample. It doesn't. I had to re-highlight in the purchased copy.
Is it a topaz (.azw1) ebook? If so, that may be why. It isn't actually text.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
jams1fan
Kindled

It's a Kindle amazon book - .azw
Old 11-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe sample have are a file of their own, so bookmarks and clippings would not transfer to the full book. You can test this to see if the sample and book you purchased have the same file name.
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 12:46 AM   #6
jams1fan
Kindled

I show 2 files for the book: one with .azw extension and another .mbp. Given the file sizes, one would think that .mbp would be the sample download. But other samples I've downloaded have both files, too - that is, one file .azw and another .mbp.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:10 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jams1fan View Post
I show 2 files for the book: one with .azw extension and another .mbp. Given the file sizes, one would think that .mbp would be the sample download. But other samples I've downloaded have both files, too - that is, one file .azw and another .mbp.
Every Amazon book will generate a .mpb file. I've read on the Amazon forums that file is where the bookmarks are stored.

Here's picture of what I'm talking about:

Actual books have a file name that ends with EBOK-v.azw.
Samples have a file name that ends with EBSP-v.azw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bones.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	18236