Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
roodap
roodap began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
sony prs-505 not charging on usb2 ports ?

i run windows 8 on toshiba satellite C855D-S5232 laptop
howevr long i cnnsct the reader to te usb port [all 3 ports are of usb2
even after the red light goes off i disconnect usb device then only 3 black squares are filled one remains white.
if i connect it back to usb port again red light comes on and in 15 20 miutes
light goes off
then if check the reader shows all 4 black squares.
once red light goes off means it is charged fully is it not.
and when i am in my gentoo linux boot the reader does not charge at all
all file operations work fine
there is no mains charger supplied with this reader and i cannot find one by any search.
i have many 5.2 VDC mains adapters but no connector matches with the reader power DC connector

any suggestions for me?
the battery seems to be ok. still i get 12 15 rs continuous reading before one black square becomes white
roodap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
You really do need a mains charger. It's been said on MR that the PSP charger works well. Do you have one of those? If so, try leaving your reader on charge overnight.

Strangely, trying to charge via the usb port actually drains the reader's battery.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
The charger for the Sony PSP will also work on the PRS505 (if you search through the PRS505 threads it is also mentioned there)- It plugs into a different part of the reader than the computer connection but is more effective for charging the device.
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you can get a mains socket charger that accepts a standard USB cable, so connecting your reader to that is just like connecting it to a PC USB port - but it will deliver a faster, stronger charge. we bought one for charging an Ipod but it also works fine with sony readers

They are easy to buy in UK from ebay ( 3 pin UK mains plug) they should be available o suit other countries
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
roodap

thanks for all replies friends.
i will try to get the mains charger as mentioned above.
i like to mention also that the reader charges fine on my desktop box usb which has 2ports 1.1 usb where it charges.
i need to run the psu and the box just for this purpose.
Advert
Old 02-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
you can get a mains socket charger that accepts a standard USB cable, so connecting your reader to that is just like connecting it to a PC USB port - but it will deliver a faster, stronger charge. we bought one for charging an Ipod but it also works fine with sony readers

They are easy to buy in UK from ebay ( 3 pin UK mains plug) they should be available o suit other countries
While one can get such, attempting to use such will _not_ work w/ a Sony PRS-505 (per the subject line) --- connecting such turns on the device which then drains its battery attempting to synch.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was just about to say the same thing Will!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you reckon the 505 battery drains faster than the mains charger can top it up - that is surprising if true, as those chargers are very fast. they will fully charge most devices in less than an hour!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J

If you're referring to the type of charger which uses the usb cable and consists of a large plug which has a usb-shaped hole into which you place a usb cable and at the other end you put the mini usb into the reader, then yes, those drain the battery.

What you need is the type of charger which has a normal plug but a power adaptor into which you place a two holed female lead. Out of the other side of the adaptor theres a fitted lead on which is usually a barrel-shaped thing (don't know the official name) the lead from this ends in a single round male plug which fits into a round part at the bottom of the 505, right next to where the 505's mini usb socket is.

I hope this makes sense.
Any other type of charger will drain the battery. If you don't believe this, do a search using MobileRead's search facility and you will read this many times from the past.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

it's not that I don't believe you - it just sounds like such a stupid design - but if it's been done to death on other threads there's no sense rehashing it again here. You've probably guessed that I don't own a 505 , I own or have owned all of 350, 650, T2 & T3 & all of those charge(d) with what I described.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #11
roodap

i am thinking more in the line of getting another usb cable and cut the computerside plug and connect the power [ red and blk] wires to 5.2 VDC supply i have spare used for my old router
that should work , i hope

in the meanwhile i found a nokia AC 2n mains adapter for mobiles in my old electronics parts collection
which has 5.3 VDC 500 ma output with suitable power pin as shown below
hope that works. i will try and get back here
image of the power supply
http://imgur.com/xFFz1E3

Last edited by roodap; 02-13-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #12
BookCat
C L J

From my limited techie knowledge but long use of the 505, I think that what you have in mind, roodap, should work.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
it's not that I don't believe you - it just sounds like such a stupid design - but if it's been done to death on other threads there's no sense rehashing it again here. You've probably guessed that I don't own a 505 , I own or have owned all of 350, 650, T2 & T3 & all of those charge(d) with what I described.
And all of these had a different mode to the 505... and you are correct that they all charge via USB but the 505 came with a specific barrel connector port for charging and the USB for data transfer... at the time other things were also released with separate charging/data transfer sockets but the USB then became pretty much universal with decent power offered...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
And all of these had a different mode to the 505... and you are correct that they all charge via USB but the 505 came with a specific barrel connector port for charging and the USB for data transfer... at the time other things were also released with separate charging/data transfer sockets but the USB then became pretty much universal with decent power offered...
I am not making any claim as to how well the 505 charges via a computer's USB port, I have never used one, but the fact is that despite what is being said to the contrary, both the 505's formal specification and its manual state that it does charge via a computer's USB port.

The fact that a device has separate provision for a dedicated non USB charger connection, as well, has no direct bearing on whether it will USB charge or not, it has been relatively common for devices to have ports for both USB and non USB charging on the same device, albeit becoming less common now (my own phone, for example, provides for both charging methods).

Generally, regardless of what people claim, my usual reaction is that there is some other problem if a device specified as capable of USB charging is not charging.

That includes the possibility of a failed USB charge controller in the device (or its associated software), the computer's USB port has a problem or does not contend correctly with the device's charge controller, a USB hub is being used (especially if non powered), the battery has an internal problem, or the battery has become completely discharged (at least to the minimum level allowed by the devices charge controller, modern devices protect the battery against complete discharge) and the user has not allowed enough charge time for the battery to recover to a level the device will allow itself to power up on again (this may be a very long time with older PC's that have USB ports with limited mAh current capacity (it may be as low as 100mAh in older PCs and which will be many times lower than the charge rate the device is capable of).

As I started out with, it may be that all 505s have a particular design problem of their own but it is incorrect to claim that they are not specified to support USB charging or that the provision of a separate dedicated DC charge port means they will not USB charge.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 02-13-2014 at 03:39 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Deleted: somehow the post double posted.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote