Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I'm enjoying it too. 56% into the book.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I'm going to be honest, I'm about 2 hours in to the audio book (which is only about 7 hours total) and I'm not loving it. The main character just doesn't "click" for me, and even I, someone who really likes Google, find the breathless panting over Google to be grating.

And, this is stupid I realize, but I just can't stand when characters that are supposedly in their mid 20s to early 30s use the word "dude" in dialogue. Really? Do people really talk like that? I'm in that age bracket and haven't heard someone use the word "dude" unironically since the 90s.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 02-24-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
I'm going to be honest, I'm about 2 hours in to the audio book (which is only about 7 hours total) and I'm not loving it. The main character just doesn't "click" for me, and even I, someone who really likes Google, find the breathless panting over Google to be grating.

And, this is stupid I realize, but I just can't stand when characters that are supposedly in their mid 20s to early 30s use the word "dude" in dialogue. Really? Do people really talk like that? I'm in that age bracket and haven't heard someone use the word "dude" unironically since the 90s.
The author was probably in his 20's in then late '80s or early '90s.
I used to work with some one who always used the word Dude. Of course he was 21 in 1988. I never liked the way Dude was used and hope it never makes a comeback.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well, I'm certainly going to take a look at it. You will refund me if it's not as good as you say, right Becca?
Well, no need for a refund. I really enjoyed it. Interesting premise for a story and pretty well written (in my opinion). I'd recommend it to people as well.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
You got me intrigued. Sadly the 2 libraries I'm a member of only has the audiobook and I am not a fan of the narrator. I will stick this on my wishlist for now.
I'm in the same boat. I accidentally borrowed the audiobook, then immediately returned it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'm in the same boat. I accidentally borrowed the audiobook, then immediately returned it.
It's worth the wait if you only want a p/e-book version.
Anyone happen to know anything about movie plans? I can't wait for a movie.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #22
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post

Female in my mid 20s and I say dude pretty often lol.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The Dude abides.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
It's worth the wait if you only want a p/e-book version.
Anyone happen to know anything about movie plans? I can't wait for a movie.
I just don't have the patience for audio books. I count it as a character flaw I'll keep an eye out for the ebook version though.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #25
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Hey Dude by the Beetles?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #26
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Okay, I'm going to still find it annoying in books, even if people in real life do in fact still use the word, but I'll take back the book criticism.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #27
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Same here, except I'm 37. It's a great word. In one syllable, you can express a range of things, from "That's amazing!" to "I can't believe you did that" to "Start running because you're in so much trouble right now".

This discussion got this book promoted to the top of my wishlist, but it'll have to wait a few days. My February book budget is tapped out.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
This discussion got this book promoted to the top of my wishlist, but it'll have to wait a few days. My February book budget is tapped out.
You won't regret it. You'll love it!
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #29
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
A dissenting voice, I thought it was trying too hard to be cool and the characters didn't feel real. I only considered it average.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Beefier characters would have made this book really pop for me. They just felt a little thin. Still... it didn't make me wish I had used the time to read something else. Easy to see why it's developing such a cult following, but I think this one just missed me by inches.

Sort of a Ready Player One (minus the nostalgia) mixed with a comedic version of The Rule of Four.

I'll stop before I sound too negative; that's not my intention.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote