Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #16
mgbino
Groupie
mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Keep as far away from Goodkind as possible. Seriously, he's awful.
mgbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #17
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time up until the final one before he died. I've given up on it, as I was already starting to tire of the series after twenty years of waiting and binging.
I enjoyed GRRM for the first couple of books, but it started wearing me down a little. I just found it too gritty, too vicious and too depressing.

I prefer my fantasy to be "High" fantasy, rather than "Dark" fantasy, I guess. I'm a Tolkien fan, a Paolini fan, and an Eddings fan.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbino View Post
Keep as far away from Goodkind as possible. Seriously, he's awful.

To be fair, (from the comments I have read) all of these authors appear to have their fans and detractors.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time up until the final one before he died. I've given up on it, as I was already starting to tire of the series after twenty years of waiting and binging.
I enjoyed GRRM for the first couple of books, but it started wearing me down a little. I just found it too gritty, too vicious and too depressing.

I prefer my fantasy to be "High" fantasy, rather than "Dark" fantasy, I guess. I'm a Tolkien fan, a Paolini fan, and an Eddings fan.

That's sort of where I come from, as well, which makes me wonder if I would enjoy any of those authors listed in the Title of this thread.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #20
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
If you lean away from the gritty/dark stories, I would avoid GRRM or Erikson.

You could also try the first books of either the Sword or Truth series or the Wheel of Time series. They both make decent stand-alone novels even if you choose not to continue the series. It has been a while but with SoT, I remember thinking that the other books were only written after the fact when the first was successful; they do get incrementally more repetitive and preachy.

I never felt that the WoT was a dark series but it was rambling and very slow to progress in the middle of the series but Sanderson did a fairly good job wrapping things up. Again, the first book is an excellent read and could be read as a semi-stand-alone book. It doesn't wrap up quite as well as the first Sword of Truth book but it is a fairly clean ending.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #21
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That's sort of where I come from, as well, which makes me wonder if I would enjoy any of those authors listed in the Title of this thread.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Have you read the black company books by Glen Cook? If you enjoyed them, Erikson might be something for you. Both Martin and Erikson are darker than Eddings or Tolkien. But both have also humor and Eriksons work is at its heart about compassion.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
Have you read the black company books by Glen Cook? If you enjoyed them, Erikson might be something for you. Both Martin and Erikson are darker than Eddings or Tolkien. But both have also humor and Eriksons work is at its heart about compassion.

I've read Eddings, but only sporadically over the years. I plan to go back and re-read his main two series of books, since it was quite a while ago. I enjoy reading him.

I read Martin before he became famous, back in the late '70s.

I haven't read any Erikson, but I did purchase one of his books.

I haven't ready any of Glen Cook's work at all. He was one of those authors whose books I saw on the shelves for years and years, but - for some reason - I never picked anything up by him.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #23
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I have yet to read that series by him. Is it more Sci-fi, rather than fantasy?
Yes it is Sci Fi.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #24
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

I haven't ready any of Glen Cook's work at all. He was one of those authors whose books I saw on the shelves for years and years, but - for some reason - I never picked anything up by him.
If you want Fantasy mixed with Mystery try Cook's Garrett, P.I. Series. To me the series comes across Fantasy and Rex Stout's Nero Wolf Series. Instead of Archie dealing with the Fat Man, Garrett must deal with the Dead Man.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If you want Fantasy mixed with Mystery try Cook's Garrett, P.I. Series. To me the series comes across Fantasy and Rex Stout's Nero Wolf Series. Instead of Archie dealing with the Fat Man, Garrett must deal with the Dead Man.
Apache

Thanks for the suggestion on that one. I'll certainly be looking into it.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #26
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Oh look, I'm still around!

Sci/Fi. Best books Brian Daley wrote. Starts with Requiem For A Ruler of Worlds. Don't want to give spoilers.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #27
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I haven't read the Erikson. I'd do Jordan first. He's the best world painter, the least dreary, to me the most literate. Goodkind is a bit pervy with all the torture and it gets progressively worse until I finally gave up, wondering how bad he was gonna get with it. Martin, well he's a good world builder too but 2nd to Jordan and I get tired of EVERYBODY dying (or so it seems for a long time). And who knows how many years for the next book. He "ain't hasty".

These aren't tomes.
Elizabeth Moon's - The Deed of Paksenarrion
Lawrence Watt-Evans - The Misenchanted Sword
Raymond Feist's - The Riftwar Saga
CJ Cherryh's - The Paladin

Quote:
Which one of these four series should I start first? Why?

Which one is the most flawed? Why?

Which one is the most literate? Why?

Which one is the most successful? Why?

And finally:

If I wanted to read some Lin Carter-styled fantasies - when books were not tomes and one didn't die of old age waiting for the next volume to come out - what would you suggest I read other than Howard, Moorcock, L. Sprague de Camp, et al.? (Because I've already read them.)

Thanks.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:04 AM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I've read almost all the Raymond Feist that you can shake a sock at.

I really like him.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:21 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Mostly because the other series used in the first post are all 7+ books and epic in length/scope. Mistborn, while very good and epic scope, is only a 3 book series so not really comparable in terms of length.
I don't know where you've been all this time, but there are actually 4 Mistborn books, the 5th is about to be released, and the 6th of the projected 10 has been written and submitted and will be released early next year IIRC.

Quote:
This I believe and fully expect at this point. I think he would be working on book 6 instead of book 3 if he hadn't finished up Wheel of Time.
Actually his excuses for this year are because he was busy writing TWO new Mistborn books, finishing off the sequel to The Rithmatist, writing a new book for his Alcatraz Smedry children's series (reviving the series), and completing the Steelheart trilogy. (I hope I haven't left anything out )
He is a master juggler.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:00 AM   #30
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't know where you've been all this time, but there are actually 4 Mistborn books, the 5th is about to be released, and the 6th of the projected 10 has been written and submitted and will be released early next year IIRC.
I thought #5 was scheduled for this October. But I was specifically talking about the first series, books 1-3, that is complete in itself. Books #4 and #5 have completely different characters and are just set in the same world so really they should be considered a different series (Wax and Wayne series is how Brandon Sanderson refers to it mostly, not Mistborn series.)

Edit: It is October 6.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote