Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
ragzy
ragzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Question JBL Dictionaries, tell me more!

Hello!

I'm a bit confused when it comes to what kind of dictionaries that are included in the JBL.
  1. I'm looking for a dictionary to look up a word in English and get an explanation of this word in English. Is this included or is it just dictionaries for certain languages?
  2. If it is included, can you tell me more about how it works, how do I go about looking up a word?
  3. Also (if the dictionary is not included):
    If I add a dictionary/book of synonyms to my JBL, will I be able to quickly look up a word that way and then return to the page that I was at?
  4. I feel that this would be of value to me, perhaps I should look for an e-reader that has a keyboard instead?
ty
ragzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
In the Jetbook, if you bring up the menu, select dictionary (#1) or tap #1 key (dictionary)
You'll see a black highigh bar on the first line, first word.

Using the cursor keys move the bar down to the right line, then over to the right word.
Then the "ok" button.
Dictionary entry for that word will pop up in a new window.

Return key to back out back to your book.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzy View Post
Hello!

I'm a bit confused when it comes to what kind of dictionaries that are included in the JBL.
Well, I'm here to unconfuse you.

Quote:
I'm looking for a dictionary to look up a word in English and get an explanation of this word in English. Is this included or is it just dictionaries for certain languages?
Yes, it is included. The JBL has dictionary for direct translation of English words into your choice of Russian, Polish, Spanish, and German. If you set it to English-English, you will get an explanation of what the word means just like a paperbook dictionary.

Quote:
If it is included, can you tell me more about how it works, how do I go about looking up a word?
When you're reading a book and you don't understand a word, you press the menu button and choose "dictionary", or shortkey #1. Your first word on the page will be highlighted. Use the up-down right-left buttons to go to your word and press enter. A window will pop up with the definition of your word.

You can also choose dictionary from menu and type in the word you want it to pop up.

Quote:
Also (if the dictionary is not included):
If I add a dictionary/book of synonyms to my JBL, will I be able to quickly look up a word that way and then return to the page that I was at?
Once you are done with the dictionary, you press the back button and the dictionary window will be gone and your book will show again.

Quote:
I feel that this would be of value to me, perhaps I should look for an e-reader that has a keyboard instead?
It does have a keyboard. It works much like the text messaging on your phone.

Last edited by jblitereader; 06-27-2010 at 09:03 PM.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
wrong thread.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Livingenzyme, I did not realize that the Dictionary option worked differently in the JB-Lite. I own a JB and I can only look up a word when in an opened e-book and I have activated the Dictionary by either hitting the "1" button or selecting the Option Menu button and hitting the "OK" button as Dictionary is selected by default. I cannot call up the dictionary function and type in a word. I have to use the arrow keys and highlight the target word and then hit "OK" to get the definition - providing the word in in the dictionary to begin with. I just selected the word "held" and the dictionary pulled up "helical". If I press up arrow I get "heirloom" and if I press down arrow from "helical" I get "helicopter". I guess no one will ever question the word "held". This is an example of how screwed up this dictionary is.

Just curious - does the JBL have the word "held" in it's english Dictionary.

I cannot access the dictionary function outside an e-book.

In FW .35a the dictionary no longer works in ePub. It never worked with PDF but it worked with all other supported formats.

I can select a different Dictionary scenario ahead of time by going through the "Settings" menu option within a book.

That's how it works on the jetBook FW .34 as well as FW .35a.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432
Livingenzyme, I did not realize that the Dictionary option worked differently in the JB-Lite.
I suspect it works pretty much the same way. While you cannot access the dictionary outside an ebook, you can punch in any word you want by calling up the dictionary while in an ebook and type in a word you want.

While in ebook, bring up dictionary and just choose the first word. Then press "ok" again and it will bring up the option for you to type in a word.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
ragzy
ragzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Thanx for the detailed answers ghosthawk and livingenzyme.

Moving on:
Since jlg432 mentioned that the dictionary doesn't work with certain filetypes. Which filetypes does it work with for the JBL, same as jetbook?

While we are at it: since the device has a virtual keyboard, can you search for a specific word in the text, and which file formats does this apply to?

Oh, and also, how is the switch time between 2 books (are you able to go back to where you where in a comfortable amount of time (approximately how long)?

Last edited by ragzy; 06-28-2010 at 12:03 PM.
ragzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
jblitereader
Addict

Quote:
Thanx for the detailed answers ghosthawk and livingenzyme.

One more question then, since jlg432 mentioned that the dictionary doesn't work with certain filetypes. Which filetypes does it work with for the JBL, same as jetbook?
It will only work with text-based formats. Any page-based format (like pdf) the dictionary will not work for.

This goes for text search as well. There is an option where you can search a text within your book (much like the search function in windows where you just keep clicking next until you find what you want). It will only work with text-based formats. You can't do this with something like pdf.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
It will only work with text-based formats. Any page-based format (like pdf) the dictionary will not work for.

This goes for text search as well. There is an option where you can search a text within your book (much like the search function in windows where you just keep clicking next until you find what you want). It will only work with text-based formats. You can't do this with something like pdf.
* Um, PDF is more complex than that.

If you try the standard Acrobat reader that Adobe supply as a free download the text search (Ctrl-F) will work fine on most every PDF. That because these are indeed "text-based". The JBL reader should be just as good. However PDFs can also contain page images where, as you say, search and copy/paste won't work. (IIRC "PDF is really three formats with one reader").

Now I was told "The JBL PDF reader supports search and dictionary use (firmware level 0.15d and after)" and put this in
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JetBook_Lite

If you have evidence otherwise, please share.

* As to the JBL Dictionary the English look up one is too small, in fact there are many more words in the English-German translation dictionary.

I don't expect the full Merriam-Webster which I have on my PC's hard disk but it should have as many as the translation dictionary and contain most of the words in a novel.

As a check get a college type paper dictionary and go through it sise by side with the JBL, starting at "aria" or "burgle".
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
jblitereader
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
If you have evidence otherwise, please share.
I don't. I haven't used a single pdf file ever since I upgraded to 15d. Before that, I did try to test these functions on some pdf files and I couldn't get it to work.

As you can tell, I have a prejudice against pdf format. I think it is the second worst ebook format out there.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
[...]

Moving on:
Since jlg432 mentioned that the dictionary doesn't work with certain filetypes. Which filetypes does it work with for the JBL, same as jetbook?

While we are at it: since the device has a virtual keyboard, can you search for a specific word in the text, and which file formats does this apply to?
Both work for all formats except PDB/eReader, firmware 15d or later being needed for PDF.

Quote:
[...]

Oh, and also, how is the switch time between 2 books (are you able to go back to where you where in a comfortable amount of time (approximately how long)?
As fast as you can click between any number of books once all have been opened once.

This is because "Recent Readings" has all recently opened books in order.

So (a) back arrow to leave current book
(b) menu then "Recent Readings", select book, OK

Not even 1 second if you opened the current book from "Recent Readings".

I should point out that "Recent Readings" may revert to an older version if you change the batteries. To make sure this won't occur exit the current book then back arrow until the top menu appears (Books/ Pictures/ Settings)
and the backup version will be replaced.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Livingenzyme, Yes the dictionary does work just like on the JBL - I was not aware that you could modify the look-up word by hitting "OK" a second time and then editing the look-up word to what you want. Pretty neat.

The English Dictionary word volume still sucks. Do bad they don't offer an English only (with a more elaborate word support) and an International version. These could be implemented via Firmware update.

It should be made clear that even though we mention the dictionary works in text based books that also includes the jb2, html, txt, prc, rtf and mobi formats as well. With .35a firmware on the JB the Dictionary and find options don't on the PDF as well as the new ePub support.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
jblitereader
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
The English Dictionary word volume still sucks. Do bad they don't offer an English only (with a more elaborate word support) and an International version. These could be implemented via Firmware update.
Actually, they already got an international version. It translates between various languages, you know.

Quote:
It should be made clear that even though we mention the dictionary works in text based books that also includes the jb2, html, txt, prc, rtf and mobi formats as well. With .35a firmware on the JB the Dictionary and find options don't on the PDF as well as the new ePub support.

John
Well, all you people have to do is make me your God-Emperor and I will make sure people will never know PDF ever again on the penalty of agonizing torture (you have to read Demons by Dostoevsky and write a book report about it).

Tags
dictionary, jbl, jetbook lite, keyboard