Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
tonyc46
tonyc46 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Gen 6
Metadata Handling in 0.7.+

How is metadata handled in 0.7+? Is the change done to a Calibre db or is it done in the metadata of the file itself (e.g. each pdf)?

I did a lot of metadata edits on my collection at home (Mac) in Calibre. When I brought the folder to work and imported it into Calibre on a PC, the metadata was not there as I had edited it.

Do I need to bring a db folder with the books for Calibre to import? If it is that way, is there a way to do the edits to the file metadata?

Thanks.

Tony
tonyc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc46 View Post
How is metadata handled in 0.7+? Is the change done to a Calibre db or is it done in the metadata of the file itself (e.g. each pdf)?
The metadata is stored in the metadata.db file and not written to the book until:

1. You send the book to the device.
2. Save the book to disk
3. Convert the book
4. Send book to a folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc46 View Post
I did a lot of metadata edits on my collection at home (Mac) in Calibre. When I brought the folder to work and imported it into Calibre on a PC, the metadata was not there as I had edited it.
If you brought the whole folder (including the metadata.db file) then prior to starting calibre simply replacing data in the existing folder with this one would have sufficed.

Importing from that folder will not do it, because your edits are in the metadata.db file. Now if your work computer has different books than the computer at home and you want to update your work library without replacing it whole hog. You can use the Save to Disk feature. Go to this post and follow steps 1-9 then take that output folder to work and import the folder to your work library.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
tonyc46
tonyc46 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Gen 6
Thanks for that info.

I'll try some of those methods to get the metadata into the book. It would be handy to have it embedded so it would be available to other applications.
tonyc46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metadata