Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Word Formatting Macro (Stingo's Macro)

Here is a Word Macro that was originally created by a member of the Librie group but which I modified a little. This macro removes hard page breaks, hard returns and adjusts the font to Times Roman 14. You can assign the macro to a function key for ease of access. Feel free to tweak to your needs.

'
' ebook_formatter Macro
' Macro created 11/28/2006
'
' This step take you to the top of your document

Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToPage, Which:=wdGoToNext, Name:="1"

' This step clears formatting and sets font to my preferred size
'
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
Selection.WholeStory
Selection.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
Selection.Font.Size = 14
With Selection.Font
.NameFarEast = ""
.NameAscii = "Times New Roman"
.NameOther = "Times New Roman"
.Name = ""
.Size = 14
.Bold = False
.Italic = False
End With

' This step replaces hard page breaks
'
With Selection.Find
.Text = "^m"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

' This step replace the correct paragraph mark with a temporary sign "#*#", if your document has that sign, replace
' with some other special character
'
With Selection.Find
.Text = "^p^p"
.Replacement.Text = "#*#"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
' This step will replace the inappropriate line break with a space. Also see remark below
'
With Selection.Find
.Text = "^p"
.Replacement.Text = " " ' if there is a space at the end of the line, change this to ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
' This step will return the paragraph break to normal
'
With Selection.Find
.Text = "#*#"
.Replacement.Text = "^p^p"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With

End Sub
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks Stingo!

I don't know why I do this manually every time when a macro would be much more sensible. I'll try this one, or create another if I have any problems with it.

My only tweaks will probably be to full justify the text and to use 18pt font.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks for posting that, Stingo - it works extremely well.

The only change I've made, other the changing the font to my personal preference, is to add a final line:

so that the cursor ends up at the top of the document, with no selection. Without it, the cursor is left at the bottom, with the entire document selected.

Extremely useful - very many thanks for that!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad to help. Bob, I did not put in justify in order to preserved centered titles. Since the Macro is global justification would flush all centered titles to the left.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Nice work Stingo. Any hints how I can automatically load this Macro into Word?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One easy way is to select "Tools/Macro/Record Macro", call it, say, "FormatEBook" and immediately click the "Stop" button to stop recording. That will give you an "empty" macro with the correct name. Now, select "Tools/Macro/Visual BASIC Editor" and simply copy and paste the macro into the body of the empty macro, then click the "Save" button on the VB editor to save it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
reaganmike
reaganmike began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Smile Word Formatting Macro

I just installed and used the macro. It worked great!
reaganmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
Stingo
Fanatic

Glad the macro is helping. If you relate the macro to a button on your tool bar it really becomes a pleasure to use.

I added a little section to take out double spaces that sometimes occur when there is a space at the end of the line prior to the hard return.

'
' ebook_formatter Macro
' Macro created 11/28/2006 by Jorge Espinosa
'
' This step take you to the top of your document

' This step clears formatting and sets font to my preferred size
'
Selection.WholeStory
Selection.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
Selection.Font.Size = 14
With Selection.Font
.NameFarEast = ""
.NameAscii = "Times New Roman"
.NameOther = "Times New Roman"
.Name = ""
.Size = 14
.Bold = False
.Italic = False
End With

' This step replaces hard page breaks
'
With Selection.Find
.Text = "^m"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With

' This step replace the correct paragraph mark with a temporary sign "#*#", if your document has that sign, replace
' with some other special character
'
With Selection.Find
.Text = "^p^p"
.Replacement.Text = "#*#"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With

' This step will replace the inappropriate line break with a space.
'
With Selection.Find
.Text = "^p"
.Replacement.Text = " "
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With

' This step will replace the double spaces sometimes created by previous replace.
'
With Selection.Find
.Text = " "
.Replacement.Text = " " ' if there is a space at the end of the line, change this to ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With

' This step will return the paragraph break to normal
'
With Selection.Find
.Text = "#*#"
.Replacement.Text = "^p^p"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
Old 11-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Great work Stingo. My knowledge of VB is limited (COBOL or FORTRAN is more my speed.) Is there a loop control structure that you could add around the double space removal section that would repeat until zero (0) occurances were changes. Many of the poorly formatted documents I have to deal with will have sometimes three or four or more spaces between words.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:19 PM   #10
Stingo
Fanatic

Sure is but it probably should be put in a separate macro. I'll write one in the next couple of days. I was also toying with the idea of putting in a pop-up window to input the title and author but I haven't gotten around to it.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:22 PM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Couldn't you just run the same macro repeatedly?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:25 PM   #12
svr
svr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Rwood,
Try this Macro for deleting multiple spaces.
There is a space between the [] brackets in the .TExt parameter. The numbers between the curly braces indicate how many spaces you want to look for, in this case I am searching or a minimum of 2 spaces upto a maximum of 6, you can make it as many as you want. But leave the minimum at 2, otherwise you will have one massive word!!

Sub DeleteMultipleSpaces()
'
' DeleteMultipleSpaces Macro

'
With Selection.Find
.Text = "([ ]{2,6})"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchWildcards = True
End With
End Sub
svr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:00 AM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

svr: Thanks. I needed to make one change to the macro:

.Replacement.Text = " "

I added a space for the replacement text as otherwise it ran the words together when it executed. I also grafted it to the end of Stingo's macro to perform all editing/formatting in one step.

Thanks to both of you.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:03 AM   #14
Stingo
Fanatic

Good addition SVR. Rwood, you may still not want to put it at the end of my macro since there may be cases where it destroys formatting that you want to preserve. Julio Cortazar's E-book Rayuela is one example where this is the case.

It occurred to me that we need to play the switch game again if we are going to preserve two spaces after the period so you would want to do the following.

With Selection.Find
.Text = ". "
.Replacement.Text = "#!#"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With

With Selection.Find
.Text = "([ ]{2,6})"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchWildcards = False
End With

With Selection.Find
.Text = "#!#"
.Replacement.Text = ". "
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
Old 11-29-2006, 07:55 AM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer

For me, two spaces at the end of a sentance is a hold over from the days of the typewriter and mono spaced fonts. Even if you format flush left, I feel that two spaces after a sentance produces gaps in a paragraph. On paper and on screen I find single spaces at the end of a sentance more pleasing and more readable.

Tags
content, conversion, formatting