Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #151
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So when do we get on with the voting?

Can we please have the list of how many nominations each qualifying book has received so far?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #152
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok,

Let's stop with the banter and stick with the nomination business.

I hope to review all the nominations soon and see where we are. I'm running a bit behind.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #153
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Augustus Carp has made it through to the next round!!
Well done Gussy.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #154
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Nevermind

Last edited by cearbhallain; 03-25-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Imma keeping the peace. sorry I didn't get to the end of the thread before opening my reply box.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #155
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Persuade me!

I have one vote left.

What to do? The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain has not been seconded. It's a great book, and perhaps Mr. Clemens' perspective on matters concerning race would be a great counter-balance to Margaret Mitchell's, who authored our February selection.

Three are three books that interest me that have been nominated and seconded. They are:

* My man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse
Read it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Bertie and Jeeves are always fun to read, and the stories starring Reggie Pepper (a forerunner of Bertie Wooster) are a hoot.

* Candide by Voltaire
I've read this one more than once. The ideas put forth by Voltaire should spark a lively debate. In the best of all possible worlds, Voltaire is surely required reading!

* The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
This one I haven't read, but the premise sounds hilarious; especially since no one seems to want to give a third to my nomination of And Another Thing. The Amazon reviews seem to be saying that Jasper Fforde is to literature as Douglas Adams is to science.

Hmmm. Four very interesting choices, only one vote, and the nominations are closing very soon. Does anyone want to buy my vote? I'm not cheap, but I can be bought.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #156
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
My advice would be to vote for Jeeves, because, er, I nominated it - and as you say yourself, it's a hoot!

In return, you would receive a mystery benefit
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #157
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I have one vote left.
Hmmm. Four very interesting choices, only one vote, and the nominations are closing very soon. Does anyone want to buy my vote? I'm not cheap, but I can be bought.

Hey! I think I've got one left two, I could probably be bought cheaper than Tom. Going once, going twice...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #158
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hey! I think I've got one left two, I could probably be bought cheaper than Tom. Going once, going twice...
Then vote for Jeeves, and receive a mystery half-benefit
Old 03-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #159
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Tom,
of the three that you debate, Jeeves seems the funnier in a strict sense, while probably Candide is still provoking. Of the The Eyre Affair I do not know a single thing, which as you observe is a good reason to try it. Choose The Eyre Affair then.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #160
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
My advice would be to vote for Jeeves, because, er, I nominated it - and as you say yourself, it's a hoot!

In return, you would receive a mystery benefit
So tempting! I love a good mystery!

Anyone have any other offers?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #161
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Tom,
of the three that you debate, Jeeves seems the funnier in a strict sense, while probably Candide is still provoking. Of the The Eyre Affair I do not know a single thing, which as you observe is a good reason to try it. Choose The Eyre Affair then.
I'm leaning in that direction. Perhaps I will. Stay tuned!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #162
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
A dilemma, isn't it. Almost a conumdrum one might say Taken together, I've read two of those books 5 times already.... but I've never read Voltaire. And you know I do enjoy a good debate
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #163
Ben Thornton
Guru

It's a mysterious conundrum wrapped in an enigma, balanced on the horns of a dilemma.

Time for the random light ...
Old 03-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #164
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Upping the ante... My avatar has expressed an interest in your avatar... (think I can go no higher )
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #165
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
So tempting! I love a good mystery!

Anyone have any other offers?
Just give up on this nomination and vote for Lamb. You know you want to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote