Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Newspaper on Barns and Noble

Has anybody tried purchasing and reading newspaper (like the WSJ and NYT) on Barns and Noble? Any delivery fee (someone mentioned $1 per issue?)?
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The $1 charge is from NewspapsersDirect, and applies if you try to download the file directly to your DR800 (instead of the PC first).

I think I read that B&N's newspapers/magazines are only supported on the Nook right now? Not 100% sure about that, but it was in a recent thread.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's discussed in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74880

Short answer, B&N periodicals are only supported on the Nook for now (according to B&N's website).
Old 02-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Looks like the reason is that the DR800 only supports the PDB from B&N, and don't support the new ADE SDK that has the B&N ePub support.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Looks like the reason is that the DR800 only supports the PDB from B&N, and don't support the new ADE SDK that has the B&N ePub support.
B&N ePub support is listed in the next firmware. We'll see if that takes care of the periodicals issue when the firmware comes out.
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
B&N ePub support is listed in the next firmware. We'll see if that takes care of the periodicals issue when the firmware comes out.
Great!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Great!
Just to be clear, the list of features leaked earlier doesn't specifically mention periodicals, it only says ePub. The rest is just speculation, assuming Kolenka's theory is correct.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
B&N newspapers don't even work in the B&N reader on the destkop.

Update: I was able to get one mag working by copying it from the nook to my Mac (the B&N website won't permit me to directly download it to my computer because "my device" isn't compatible). I tried a few times and it didn't work, then it suddenly decided to play ball and asked me for my name and CC number to unlock the issue. Another pub wouldn't open. Guess I can't complain since B&N doesn't claim it will work.

Last edited by MobileTechReview; 02-26-2010 at 08:35 PM.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
B&N newspapers don't even work in the B&N reader on the destkop.
Guess I was grasping at straws.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Guess I was grasping at straws.
We'll still have to wait and see. I believe the Adobe mobile SDK (which is what the DR800 uses) is different from what is used on the desktop. I saw an updated version of the Adobe mobile SDK (which I think is what Kolenka was talking about) a while ago that specifically mentions B&N compatibility. It's theoretically possible that will address periodicals. It may still be somewhat grasping though. I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but I wouldn't necessarily get excited about it yet either.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
CoolDragon
Addict

Thanks all. The IREX website (http://www.irexreader.com/) is confusing to put such a big picture showing WSJ while they don't support it (at least now).
Old 02-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
Thanks all. The IREX website (http://www.irexreader.com/) is confusing to put such a big picture showing WSJ while they don't support it (at least now).
They do, via NewspapersDirect, not B&N.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
CoolDragon
Addict

Is there Wall Street Journal on NewspapersDirect? I cannot find it.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
Is there Wall Street Journal on NewspapersDirect? I cannot find it.
Yes, it's listed as "The Wall Street Journal" on their site... under "T".
Old 02-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
CoolDragon
Addict

Yeah, missed "The".