Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Fictionwise over Mobipocket

I generally find the mobipocket site easier to 'browse' so tend to choose selections there and then pop over to Fictionwise and so far I have purchased no books at all from Mobi direct and all from Fictionwise (or Books on Board) .. the price difference is huge on most books and I've been lucky a few times and actually have wanted a few of the 100% micro-rebate books which has given me lots of $ to spend on other books ..

Fictionwise have a great system .. I'm now trying to do the math and work out if i should become a member which costs but has added perks .. very glad I stumbled on Fictionwise!

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's well worth becoming a "club" member at Fictionwise. You get a free book download, plus discounts on everything you buy. It soon repays itself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 06:20 AM   #3
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I agree. I've been a member since a few days after getting the iLiad. The multi format books work very well downloaded as a .pdf, and on DRM's books, prices are typical below the current edition at the bookstore once you consider the discounts. A typical paperback edition in the US is now around $8. If you are a member at a chain bookstore you can get a discount to around $7.20. At Fictionwise, without a special sale, the same book for a member would be $5.50 - $6 most of the time, and they run author & other special sales that allow you to reduce this further.

Today they just announced and book released in the last 3 months that was above $10 is at $9.99 - normal member discounts probably apply. Sounds like the Kindle factor is working in our favor.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
The "Kindle" factor: just what I was thinking!

I'm also a member of Fictionwise Buywise club and I concur, it's very quickly worth it to get a membership.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
wmaurer
Enthusiast
wmaurer doesn't litterwmaurer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HTC Desire
Do Fictionwise source all their DRM'd mobi files from Mobipocket or do they have their own agreement with publishers? That is, is their catalogue of mobi files larger (a superset of) Mobipocket's catalogue?

-Wayne
wmaurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's well worth becoming a "club" member at Fictionwise. You get a free book download, plus discounts on everything you buy. It soon repays itself.
Actually, I don't think it's worth becoming a club member. You can go to BooksOnBoard or PaperBackDigital for Mobi format books without the need for being a Fictionwise club member. Check the prices and you'll see what I mean.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But I don't just buy Mobi DRM books at Fictionwise; I buy things like monthly magazines too, DRM-free - Asimov's, F&SF, ELMM, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that those other stores you mention have Fictionwise's large range of "multiformat" content such as these. Being a club member gets you discount off everything, not just the Mobi DRM books.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've only had my Reader for a short time, but have already found the club to be worth it to me (it's already paid for itself & then some). I guess it really depends on how much buying you think you'll do. If you'll only be buying 10 books a year it might not be worth it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaurer View Post
Do Fictionwise source all their DRM'd mobi files from Mobipocket or do they have their own agreement with publishers? That is, is their catalogue of mobi files larger (a superset of) Mobipocket's catalogue?

-Wayne
I think they source from Mobipocket. There was a book I was looking at recently that was not available in the Mobipocket format at Fictionwise, only e-reader and another (can't recall which one). I questioned why it wasn't in Mobipocket and they said it was because Mobipocket hadn't dropped the price yet - as soon as they matched e-reader, etc. the book would be available in .prc format
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaurer

-Wayne
not entirely sure but i do remember that earlier this year when mobipocket went offline for almost a week fictionwise hardly had any titles available. Since then tho i think i remember them announcing that they were going to have things on a separate server to avoid a repeat

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I also joined the Fictionwise club. Between the free book offer and the emagazine subscriptions I have already saved more than the cost of the club membership. It is a pleasure reading Analog and the others on the Sony Reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:21 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
How much is a fee to join the club?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:24 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

See:

http://www.fictionwise.com/help/buywisefaq.htm
Old 11-22-2007, 05:31 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Thanks.

It would not benefit me. I read no more than 12 -17 books per year.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:26 PM   #15
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But I don't just buy Mobi DRM books at Fictionwise; I buy things like monthly magazines too, DRM-free - Asimov's, F&SF, ELMM, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that those other stores you mention have Fictionwise's large range of "multiformat" content such as these. Being a club member gets you discount off everything, not just the Mobi DRM books.
Yup, that's what I did. Subscriptions to Asimov's, F&SF, and Analog plus one book put my club membership on the plus side. Now it's all gravy.

Also, FW's prices are dropping across the board in response to the AZW pricing. In that respect, Amazon's already given a bonus to the e-book world in general. Now if Sony would just drop the price on the Reader, we'd see some real fireworks.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote