Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowmya View Post
I tried to run a script on start up, so i added a file run.sh in startup folder, but it does not execute it when i reboot the kindle. The homepage shows up. Am I missing something?
Does the script run as expected when executed from the command line?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #32
sowmya
sowmya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, I used Kterm on the kindle and executed the script. Works as expected.
sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #33
Eradicatore
i void warranties
Eradicatore can extract oil from cheeseEradicatore can extract oil from cheeseEradicatore can extract oil from cheeseEradicatore can extract oil from cheeseEradicatore can extract oil from cheeseEradicatore can extract oil from cheeseEradicatore can extract oil from cheeseEradicatore can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi Dos1,
I wanted to use your event handler on my paperwhite2 to run my own sort of scrolling screen savers. So I was going to put a quick wrapper script in boot to remove any .lock file. Then in the suspend folder I would put a shell script wrapper to just run my python script in the background unless it sees the .lock file (which it would then "touch" to avoid running twice).

But on my paperwhite2, your file doesn't appear to allow me to install. I've installed several things (USBNet, Linkss, Python, JB) so I know that's working. The file name I have from your zip is:

update_eventHandler_0.2_kindle5_install.bin

Any ideas? Also, do you think my idea to run a looping python script in the background will be fine? I can't see why it would do any harm, since I could always ssh in and kill it if I needed to.
Eradicatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Eadicatore: kaznelson repacked it in #28.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #35
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eradicatore View Post

- - - - -

Also, do you think my idea to run a looping python script in the background will be fine?

I can't see why it would do any harm, since I could always ssh in and kill it if I needed to.
It will greatly shorten your "on-battery time".
As a general rule, you only have 4 to 8 hours of battery capacity.

If you normally keep your Kindle on external power, not a problem.

A better plan is to have either manually triggered (say, a KUAL button) or an event driven (say, "going to screensaver") script.
Those should let the processor shut down when it normally does (about 96% of the time, it is stopped - that is where the "months" between recharges comes from - it isn't "on").
Old 09-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #36
jpbutler1
jpbutler1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Has eventHandler been tested on K3?
jpbutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #37
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbutler1 View Post
Has eventHandler been tested on K3?
Not written for the K3.

The event handler depends on the "upstart" task management system and the K3 does not use the "upstart" task manager.

An "even hook" such as this could be written for the K3, but it would be a complete re-write of this code.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #38
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not written for the K3.

The event handler depends on the "upstart" task management system and the K3 does not use the "upstart" task manager.

An "even hook" such as this could be written for the K3, but it would be a complete re-write of this code.
AFAIR there is a K3 version shared by fbdev.

EDIT: here:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168270

Last edited by thomass; 09-21-2014 at 03:13 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #39
aleq
Enthusiast
aleq began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT (4.0.1), KT (5.3.7.3), KPW1 (sold), KPW2
Works beautifully on Kindle Touch with 5.3.7.3! Thank you
aleq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
events, k5 tools, kindle, kite, screensaver