Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
adam_omega
adam_omega began at the beginning.

Device: none
Scanner for Comic Book Art?

I wanted to see if someone had any recommendations for current types/models of Computer Scanners that can scan unbound color and black & white comic books at 600dpi~1200dpi grayscale and produce print-ready results (i.e. scanning foreign printed books so they can be translated, lettered/cleaned up in photoshop, and printed for English markets).

The books that I need to scan are around 6" x 9" (so a normal letter sized scanner, I assume).

A flatbed scanner might be the best option...? Either way, books being scanned in full are unbound (put in microwave to soften the glue and then pages removed).

Would something like the Microtek XT3300 or XT3500 be good for this...?

Thanks!

Last edited by adam_omega; 01-28-2013 at 04:26 PM.
adam_omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
If you remove the glue, basically any flatbed scanner will do.

My advice is not to choose an expensive one. The quality of today's budget scanners were considered professional-grade only a few years ago.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
adam_omega
adam_omega began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
If you remove the glue, basically any flatbed scanner will do.

My advice is not to choose an expensive one. The quality of today's budget scanners were considered professional-grade only a few years ago.

I likely need "descreen" and "scaling/resize (i.e. scan a custom value larger than original art)" options. That's probably my main concern along with being able to scan 600dpi and 1200dpi pages fast.

As much as I like the XT3500, I don't know if it scale art with the ScanWizard DI software. I would hope it could as it seems like the scanner I want.
adam_omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
You may not want to descreen manga. Those dot patterns give it a certain stylistic effect.

What do you mean by "scan a custom value larger than original art"? Upscaling?

Scanning pages "fast" should be the least of your concern. The processing part takes much longer, especially translating and proofreading it.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote