Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
DirkGently
DirkGently began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Sony PRS-T1 vs Nook STR - 3 questions

I'm still pondering. I was very close to getting Nook STR (I have to get a credit card first though) but then I found out about T1 which is SO much easier to get in Europe. And I have confidence they will fix the freeze issues. But after reading more I think I just can't get over a heavy leaning towards STR despite all even though I really tried hard. I like what I hear about the longer battery life, it being quicker and the possibility to change lining space. I don't really care much about Internet /facebook etc. Oh yes and NOOK roots better too.

I have three questions.

1. Picture quality? I heard something about t1 having 'better contrast'. Is it true is the picture, in plain English, better? If yes, this would actually be a plus for T1.

2. Battery is not changeable on either device right? If it went bad I'd have to return it and this would only be possible with the SONY in Europe I guess.

3. I heard about charging from the wall instead of computer. I heard this improves how long it will stay charged. If I wanted to do this for the NOOK I'd obviously be forced to use an independent wall charger because of the plug. Which one should I get... one that is safe for the device to use, current-wise?
DirkGently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
If you're in Europe, I would encourage you to go with the Sony. If you ever need support for your e-reader, you won't be able to get it if you buy the Nook. This is really important because anything could happen with your e-reader for no apparent reason. For instance, I brought a Nook classic a little less than a year ago and less than 24 hours after I brought it, the e-ink screen just died for no apparent reason. I live in the US, so I was able to take the Nook right back to a Barnes and Noble and get a replacement. However, living in Europe, that may not be an option for you if something like that happens to you.

So I would get the Sony if I were you. Just my $0.02.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I had the T1 but returned it till they get the glitches fixed. Then I will get another one. I also have the Nook ST. Both are good readers, but I really like the Sony because of the translation dictionaries & 2 English.. The Nook only has one. As for holding them, once again I prefer the Sony. I'm not saying the Nook isn't a good reader because it is. Picture quality? You mean images in books? I think they are the same. I don't know about the differences in carrying a charge between wall or computer. It does go must faster though with the wall charge.

But if like FaithBW says if you have problems with the Nook & you live out of the USA you will have even more problems.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Yes, as the two before me have noted Barnes & Noble will NOT support the Nook outside of the US. They won't even let you download firmware updates if your IP address is not in the US. Warranty support is out of the question. Rooting is only an issue if you want to install apps to read different formats.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
Bartos88
Bartos88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hmm, I didn't realize that you can't update the firmware. Are you sure it isn't possible to do a firmware update by sideloading it onto the device?
Bartos88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
They won't even let you download firmware updates if your IP address is not in the US.
This is NOT correct! I have sucessfully downloaded and installed the updates, including the recent one (I think there was one before that, some time ago as well).
I'm in Sweden. I was in Sweden when I downloaded the update. Actually, just to check nothing has changed I'm downloading it right now!
I do the update by sideloading, since I keep the device WiFi off all the time.

(Any warranty issues of course has to be resolved in USA, since the device isn't not meant for international sales.)

Edit: I'd still recommend Sony for international users, but sometimes Nooks can be had a "too good to refuse"-prices, and should that be the case it will work very well even oustide USA.

Last edited by Asawi; 12-06-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
DirkGently
DirkGently began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks for your answers. I decided to be lazy and safe and go with the Sony. Now when the new firmware has arrived and everything.

The dictionary argument was another turning point for me... it's one of the aspects I look most forward to when it comes to e-readers since I will be reading tons of English books and English is not my native language.
DirkGently is offline   Reply With Quote