Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #46
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
Well, Jeff, if you want hundreds of books on a device, with no way to arrange them in folders, enjoy yourself as you look for the title you want. To me, that's a waste of time.
Huh? I must have misspoke, or you misread, radleyp.

I wouldn't consider a device without folder ability. I was horrified when I learned the Kindle/Sony devices didn't support them. Especially since they are Linux devices.

My central library lives on a Linux media server with all content stored in folders organized by genre/author. My readers (Linux-based Nokia N800 and Nokia 770) are backed up via rsync with each device having a mirror of the central lib on it's storage card.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #47
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Especially since they are Linux devices.
Im pretty sure other kernels have folder technology Its not about the operating system obviously.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #48
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
the Kindle/Sony devices didn't support them. Especially since they are Linux devices.
In fact, the Kindle at least, does allow you to put things into folders and sub-folders. It just doesn't support that in their index. It reads the sub-directories and flattens them out.

So I can neatly store books in directories by author (where I have more than a couple by an author, I do) and the Kindle will see them all -- BUT it doesn't show that categorization in the index. Bummer......
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #49
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Im pretty sure other kernels have folder technology Its not about the operating system obviously.-d
Never meant to imply that the kindle/sony kernels couldn't support folders, dugbug. I just expect better from software engineers.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #50
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I have roughly 900 books on my Kindle and do not see a significant slowdown once the books are indexed. Even reading off the SD card doesn't seem to make a difference is speed just battery life.
Does simply having the SD card installed when you're reading a book that is in the Kindle cost you in battery life? Or do you mean actually "reading" a book that is sitting on the SD card? If so, then it would save the battery to move a book from SD into the Kindle before reading it, right?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #51
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Never meant to imply that the kindle/sony kernels couldn't support folders, dugbug. I just expect better from software engineers.

A lot of work went into the kindle sw. Kindle got right what they needed to do in v1.0.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #52
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Ouch... that hurts... Software engineers are people too, they have finite amount of working hours.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #53
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
And they don't usually get final say in which features are implemented.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #54
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Does simply having the SD card installed when you're reading a book that is in the Kindle cost you in battery life? Or do you mean actually "reading" a book that is sitting on the SD card? If so, then it would save the battery to move a book from SD into the Kindle before reading it, right?
I usually move the book from the SD card to my Kindle main memory but when I don't I notice that the battery definitely doesn't last as long.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #55
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
What I've done to try and get around the folder problem is to have a few text files on my Kindle. One text file lists my series books, in order, by author so that I can easily locate the title of a particular series book. Another file lists by purchase date my "one-time, throwaway" books. Still another lists my non-fiction books. I use my PC to add notes to each entry such as date read and personal rating. I keep the files updated and reload them on my Kindle, overwriting the file on the Kindle, so that I have a fairly current filing system. I use the files to look up a title and then go to that title in content lister.

It was a bit of work but I was able to get most of my book information from Fictionwise in .csv format. Books I purchased from other sources were added by c&p.

But I'd still rather have a folder structure that the Kindle can actually see.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #56
shawnlg
shawnlg began at the beginning.

MobiPocket reader has the idea of "reading lists". These shouldn't be too complicated for non-techies. Instant folders.
shawnlg is offline   Reply With Quote