Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 02:02 AM   #1
rbeset
rbeset began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Mini, BeBook One
font sizes ?

Hi,
I've been searching through this forum and did not find an answer to my question on fonts.
I have en BeBook Mini and BeBook One. Both have the same problems with epub's.

i have the option to set font size. (from 1 tot 8 , S to XXXL) This works well on some books, on other books i get a problem when switching from M to L step 3 to 4) Then the font is increased with 2 or 3 steps.
It looks like some epub's just don't have a font what is able to display on all steps correctly and the reader just skips this font size.

It looks like it is mainly on books having:

\styles\stylesheet01.css
\styles\stylesheet02.css

Books having just a stylesheet.css on the main folder mostly scale all steps correctly.

Does any of you ever saw this before ?

thanks in advanced
rbeset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
ePubs use opentype fonts that will scale to any arbitrary size.
The majority of ePubs don't have an embedded font and so use the default font provided by the reader.
As long as the ePub is well-formed, the actual name of the css file has absolutely no impact on the rendering of the book.

In summary - this looks like a bug in the BeBook firmware, but it's impossible to say for certain without a lot more information. It's certainly not a bug with the ePub files.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
rbeset

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
In summary - this looks like a bug in the BeBook firmware, but it's impossible to say for certain without a lot more information. It's certainly not a bug with the ePub files.
Hm, if it is not a bug in the epubs, but some do scale correctly, how can i found out what is causing the scaling problem ? I mean, the firmware is the same, only the epub is different. So it has to be something in the epub what is causing the firmware to behave like this.... i think.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Do you have some sample ePUBs you can show? One that scales correctly, one that doesn't?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
rbeset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Do you have some sample ePUBs you can show? One that scales correctly, one that doesn't?
Yes i do. I fixed up 2 sample files.
One with good scaling.
One with bad scaling.

The bad scaling one is copyrighted, so i took only the first 2 pages of the epub.

What happens is when pressing the magnify key it stays the same size, and after 2 presses (m to l) it switches to large, there is no upscaling by each keypress. And so on to even larger fonts. There is no nice linear upscaling.

While the good one scales nicely with each keypress a little bit bigger.

Hope this samples help !
Attached Files
File Type: zip bad scaling good scaling.zip (469.4 KB, 263 views)
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The "bad" file's CSS is a complete mess. It has hundreds of @font-face (mostly unused) and styles with unsupported properties, not to mention unnecesary <span>s, etc. There are also font names written with &quot; instead of a quote mark, which I suspect is wrong. However, the main thing that could affect font sizes, is the fact that font sizes are hard-coded in the CSS.

I've cropped the styles and created the attached file, it has two "chapters". The first one is just as it was, so I guess it will scale incorrectly. For the second, I've modified the styles, removing all font references and explicit font sizes, my bet is it will scale correctly. Of course, coming from Word the HTML-like code is utter crap (not your fault, though, but you'd be better copying the unformatted text in Sigil and formatting it there).
Attached Files
File Type: epub bad2.epub (380.0 KB, 270 views)
Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks like they took unfiltered html output from MS Word and just pasted it into Sigil and saved. A textbook case of how not to create an epub. Fixing this would require a lot of work.

Jellby's absolutely right, hard-coding the font size using points (font-size: 9.5pt; etc) will prevent it from scaling, but it's strange that the BeBook does scale the text, only it misses a few steps.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
rbeset

Jellby, thanx a million.
You are right about the fontsizes. Your 2de chapter scales wonderfull.
The first chapter had the old scaling problem.
I am going to try and fix the original book with your created css as a guidance.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there any program available to take Word HTML and remove all the garbage?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
shall1028
Nameless Being

Does Word not have a save filitered HTML option under "save as"? This would, at least, be a start.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there any program available to take Word HTML and remove all the garbage?
HTML Tidy is one way. I use the implementation of Tidy in BBEdit on filtered ("visible only" in Mac Word 2008) Word HTML export. Markup->Tidy->Clean Document, ignore warnings and proceed immediately to Markup->Tidy->Convert to XHTML. This goes a long way towards cleaning up Word HTML.

Ted
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
Does Word not have a save filtered HTML option under "save as"? This would, at least, be a start.
Yes, it is a start. Just one that still should be better.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
HTML Tidy is one way. I use the implementation of Tidy in BBEdit on filtered ("visible only" in Mac Word 2008) Word HTML export. Markup->Tidy->Clean Document, ignore warnings and proceed immediately to Markup->Tidy->Convert to XHTML. This goes a long way towards cleaning up Word HTML.

Ted
I'll have to give Tidy a try and see how it works cleaning up the mess that is Word.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
charleski
Wizard

Dreamweaver has a command to specifically clean-up Word html.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

But I don't think there's anything capable of cleaning up useless <span>s, or the proliferation of almost identical classes (one with 9pt indent, one with 10pt indent, etc.)