Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
yes, exactly my point !! far from internet, how can i possibly survive ???? whereas if i just had a telephone with wifi, i need never be unconneted again, not even for 5 minutes.
I do pay around 20 Euro a month for unlimited 3G internet. And I think you get something qualitatively different then since you will not always think about the cost when using the net and you have google always available (and google map with street view for Paris...).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #17
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'll have to check it out on my ipod touch
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
yes, here too, if you have a gadget that can connect to it.
Or a proper brain implant device installed by the government.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Or a proper brain implant device installed by the government.

BOb
right, or that. (i'm saving up.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #20
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
right, or that. (i'm saving up.)
Oh no, you should not have to save up for that. They will give it to you for free, as long as you don't mind them knowing where you are at all times and having access to information about all the eBooks you download from MobileRead.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 AM   #21
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Oh Goody!

Updates to the Mobile site are always great, as I often check out the site from either my iPhone or my Nokia N800.

I've found that at times I prefer the mobile site over the main site for its simplicity and low bandwidth requirements (When on a real slow connection Microwave or GPRS Data Card) even on my laptop, so its nice to get more features there.

One question I have is whether the option to subscribe to threads at the bottom of the thread was always there when viewing one in the Mobile version (And I just kept overlooking it all the time) or is it a comparatively new addition ?

Speaking of data costs, one of the reasons I was able to justify the price of getting a prepaid O2 iphone was that free 3G and Wifi access was included for 12 months, which usually costs £10-15 per month in the UK (and which I was already paying for on my previous phone ). That's was the most expensive regular cost on my mobile as I don't make that many calls from my mobile usually, sticking to using Skype and Vonage to make most (That said, the 3 Skypephone is a great value, as you can make and receive skype calls on it, including Skype out now for free, as long as you top up £10 every three months).

The only complaint I have is that Data Roaming is a complete ripoff, and as there is no unlock for a 2.2 iphone 3G, I can't pop in a local sim when travelling (the Sim Insert approach is a hit and miss)
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 AM   #22
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
WiFi hot spots at most places here like cafe's book stores etc is pretty much free.

BOb
Think outside the US, Free Wifi is pretty rare.

Having tried to find a free Wifi in the UK, India, Egypt, Lebanon, etc its been difficult to impossible.

In the UK, I've never been able to find free wifi in most major cities outside a few select cafe's and Pubs which use it as a marketing gimmick, but its usually not convenient to try to find them. Pay wifi on the other hand is plenty full, with BT and others having peppered most major areas with coverage. Pricing however is awful, usually £4-12 for an hour / £8-24 per day and there being no rhyme or reason for pricing or connectivity speed. I used to actually find it cheaper to subscribe to a US based service (Boingo) for unlimited monthly access to most of those spots, then subscribing to a UK based plan (Rip off Britain)

Its the same situation in Egypt now, where most of the free wifi spots have been taken over by a couple of large aggregator's like Mobinil, and Pricing has gotten much more expensive.

India is hit and miss, with some places charging astronomical prices, while others offering it for free. But the hard part is finding a Wifi spot, and with no 3G unlike the UK and Egypt you have to use what you can get.

So, in many places, ovepriced 3G is often the only option
Old 01-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Think outside the US, Free Wifi is pretty rare.
but you will find it at the most unexpected places...

We went tracking this summer (tent in the car and just go where the car brought us, mostly )

We were standing on a camping in Slovakia. A very small one at that, when I noticed a sign that said they had free wifi. So, I got my PDA not to read books that time, but to browse the internet

Personally, I don't like to use that phone I got from work (which does have a mobile internet subscription, as long as I don't go over 50Mb a month, for free), as I find that screen way too small. I'd rather use my PDA.

I must admit, I've not opened this site on my PDA yet... No excuses...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #24
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
One question I have is whether the option to subscribe to threads at the bottom of the thread was always there when viewing one in the Mobile version (And I just kept overlooking it all the time) or is it a comparatively new addition ?
Thread subscription would be one of the new additions in this update.
Thanks for your feedback!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #25
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Thread subscription would be one of the new additions in this update.
Thanks for your feedback!
No, Thank YOU for adding it and all the great work you've done on the site.

It was one of the features I really missed in the mobile version as I like to skim through the new threads, and if something looks interesting, subscribe to it so I can keep track.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #26
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I use my Treo 800 a lot for MR. Whenever I'm away from the computer, I have to have my fix...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #27
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I've started to experience some odd behavior on my BB Storm since the update, with regards to the highlighted blue background.
Well I've always seen odd behavior even with my i730 where the blue highlight would get applied to the wrong topic.

However now since the update the blue highlighted background is applied to all the text in the page. Since the background is the same color as the font I no longer see any text except the topic I am selecting.

This happens all the time except when I'm in a thread then the web site works great.
Has anybody else experience this?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #28
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

X, I am trying to figure out how the display looks on your Storm (I have a BB Bold btw, which doesn't exhibit any problems -- neither using the built-in browser nor using Opera Mini). When you go to the mobile site, using your standard desktop browser for instance, could you show to me which background you are referring to?
Old 01-17-2009, 04:03 AM   #29
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
X, I am trying to figure out how the display looks on your Storm (I have a BB Bold btw, which doesn't exhibit any problems -- neither using the built-in browser nor using Opera Mini). When you go to the mobile site, using your standard desktop browser for instance, could you show to me which background you are referring to?
Sorry It took me so long, I had to find a way to get a picture. I found a pogram called "CaptureIT" (download link from withing a blackberry) for blackberries.

Here are the pictures. The Picture 1 and Picture 2 are the same screen. However on Picture 2 I scrolled down a little, and that is when the highlighting goes crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture1.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	21431   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture2.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	21432  
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:50 AM   #30
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Here are the pictures.
Thanks, I appreciate the effort. Wow, this doesn't look good for sure. And you said you didn't have this problem before the last upgrade? I am trying to figure out what could cause the display to behave as it does on your Bolt.