Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #31
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I always wonder why people who have no desire to own or use an Apple product always seem to show up in Apple related discussions.
Who are you referring to?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #32
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
^You?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #33
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
^You?
I'd doubt it, as I think her reading comprehension skills are a bit stronger than that.
Let's double-check my post, shall we?

Quote:
Lack of a good answer to that question is one of the reasons I no longer have any iThings in my house.
This sentence, particularly when including the phrase "no longer", would seem to make it clear that I DID use Apple devices in my house, and have experience directly related to the topic of this thread. Not much room for wonder there.

Quote:
I do have an old iPod Video in our minivan attached to the DVD system for watching movies.
This sentence seems to state plainly that I do own and use an Apple product.

Nothing I posted gives any reason to suggest I'm being forced to own or use my iPod, thereby lacking "desire" to do so, nor does anything I posted suggest I don't have OTHER Apple products besides iDevices in my home (like a Macbook, which I do) or that I don't use Apple products at work (which I do, in supporting my company's iOS apps).

So, no, I can't see how it might be about me.

Last edited by ApK; 05-07-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #34
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But not everybody experiences the performance issues you describe. I never have, and I've been running iTunes for goodness knows how many years on a whole range of different PCs.
Did I say everyone has these issues? No.

I merely refuted your claim that iTues does not jnstall any background services.

I also gave an exampe of one person's experiences where that was a major problem. But that was merely an added bonus.
I am not making any claims -- I don't and won't use a music manager whose primary purpose is interacting with a device which I philosophically object to (), I am simply observing that not everyone seems to have had your experiences.

You sounded like you think anyone experiencing slowdowns is doing something wrong and/or projecting their irrational hatred of Apple. Because it can't be iTunes of course...

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-07-2014 at 11:25 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #35
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You sounded like you think anyone experiencing slowdowns is doing something wrong and/or projecting their irrational hatred of Apple. Because it can't be iTunes of course...
Yeah.

I always wonder why people who are otherwise very rational always seem to sound like slavish apologist fanbois in Apple related discussions.

(Kidding! Just kidding!)

Last edited by ApK; 05-07-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Advert
Old 05-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #36
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yeah.

I always wonder why people who are otherwise very rational always seem to sound like slavish apologist fanbois in Apple related discussions.

(Kidding! Just kidding!)
And why balanced, reasonable statements are trollish if they reflect bad on Apple.

(Not kidding!)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #37
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #38
ApK

Truthfully, and Harry and Jessica can correct me if I'm wrong, there DOES tend to be a lot of inappropriate Apple bashing on forums all over the place and it can be pretty intolerable, so I can imagine folks developing a hair-trigger response to anything that may be perceived as heading that way.

Sort like the way I react to my mother when she says...well...pretty much anything at this point.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #39
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I always wonder why people who have no desire to own or use an Apple product always seem to show up in Apple related discussions.
There are plenty of good reasons for wanting to use iTunes even if you have no Apple products.

I had it installed because there was content on iTunes that wasn't available elsewhere, like the Beatles catalogue.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Truthfully, and Harry and Jessica can correct me if I'm wrong, there DOES tend to be a lot of inappropriate Apple bashing on forums all over the place and it can be pretty intolerable, so I can imagine folks developing a hair-trigger response to anything that may be perceived as heading that way.
My point is simply that statements along the lines of "iTunes is a terrible piece of crap that causes problems for everyone" (yes, I know that nobody's actually said that, but several posts have implied it) are simply untrue. Many of us here have happily used it for many years with very few problems. Of course that doesn't mean that nobody has problems with it, but the same can be said for almost any non-trivial piece of software.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #41
ApK

Quote:
My point is simply that statements along the lines of "iTunes is a terrible piece of crap that causes problems for everyone" (yes, I know that nobody's actually said that, but several posts have implied it) are simply untrue. Many of us here have happily used it for many years with very few problems. Of course that doesn't mean that nobody has problems with it, but the same can be said for almost any non-trivial piece of software.
But it is also true that software can be excessively bloated, and excessively resource-intensive, and cause more problems and frustrations for more people than should be expected, when compared to other software of similar functionality and complexity. And even that software may indeed run just swell for many people. That doesn't mean it's unfair to point out and discuss the issues.

Taking epic rivals out of the picture, consider the reputations of Windows ME and Windows Vista vs. the reputations of Windows XP and Windows 7.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 05-07-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But it is also true that software can be excessively bloated, and excessively resource-intensive, and cause more problems and frustrations for more people than should be expected, when compared to other software of similar functionality and complexity.
Absolutely. And that's the specific reason I asked for recommendations for alternatives.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #43
ApK

Quote:
Absolutely. And that's the specific reason I asked for recommendations for alternatives.
And when the answer quite often turns out to be, as Jessica said, "There is none," you can imagine how the people HAVING issues but who also would like to use iDevices or access iTunes-exclusive content, might be particularly frustrated with the software and the company.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
And when the answer quite often turns out to be, as Jessica said, "There is none," you can imagine how the people HAVING issues but who also would like to use iDevices or access iTunes-exclusive content, might be particularly frustrated with the software and the company.
iTunes pretty much HAS to be big and complicated, given that it has to contain drivers for every iDevice ever released. One thing about Apple is that they've never dropped support for even the oldest iPods in iTunes.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #45
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Why is it not so on a mac then?