Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #91
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Pics

Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #92
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I see the clasp is on the front. You should be happy that it's not magnetic. That would mess with the sensors in the screen for S-Pen. Mine (not Zenus) is magnetic but it has the clasp on the back, redesigned after user complaints.

I like the access to the S-Pen, mine has the sewn border all around so I have to push it out and then try to wiggle it with two fingers and the whole process takes upwards to 30 seconds, very irritating.

Are the studs on the front jama when in and out of trouser pockets?

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 06-17-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #93
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Thanks Canuck,

I think I'll order one, hopefully before I scrach up my beloved SGN too badly.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #94
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Hmmm, one thing to "note" on the Note, if you are taking photos outside on a windy day, keep a good hold on it! Mine "caught wind" (no doubt thanks to the nice big screen) and was nearly ripped out of my hands this morning as I was trying to take a few quick shots of the handrails our contractor just installed!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #95
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're ordering this from ZenusUSA then I would recommend waiting for a while as I just got an email from them this morning about the clasp and they said that now both clasp and magnetic versions are being produced and the clasp versions should be available in the USA in a couple of weeks.
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #96
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Too late, I ordered it from Amazon yesterday. I got an email within an hour saying that it was shipped.

Thanks anyway.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #97
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Hmmm, one thing to "note" on the Note, if you are taking photos outside on a windy day, keep a good hold on it! Mine "caught wind" (no doubt thanks to the nice big screen) and was nearly ripped out of my hands this morning as I was trying to take a few quick shots of the handrails our contractor just installed!
I learned the hard way when I was working on the wildfires out West (TX, OK, NM, ...) some years ago, that a part of the problem is the fierce and shifting winds and if you have a hat on or even a handheld of any kind it should have a strap or tether on it.

It is a real mess sometimes. The winds are strong which causes problems with the fires, but then you add to that the updraft from the fires, and you get all manner of twisting of the air currents and things take flight whether they are made to or not.

You have to be careful with the door on things also.

Last edited by SeaKing; 06-19-2012 at 05:25 PM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #98
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK. A question for fervent Note fans.

What I have been looking for is an indication that the Samsung Galaxy Note will do an iPhone thing and spin off something like a iPod Touch.

I mean I want a Note without the phone part, and will accept even with other minor modifications but with the 5.3" screen, similar number of pixels, GPS, handwriting, etc. Of course it would have WiFi.

I figure that would reduce the price from $600 to $300 and be in my price range.

Any indications of such?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #99
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
OK. A question for fervent Note fans.

What I have been looking for is an indication that the Samsung Galaxy Note will do an iPhone thing and spin off something like a iPod Touch.

I mean I want a Note without the phone part, and will accept even with other minor modifications but with the 5.3" screen, similar number of pixels, GPS, handwriting, etc. Of course it would have WiFi.

I figure that would reduce the price from $600 to $300 and be in my price range.

Any indications of such?
Samsung did a Galaxy Player that was based on the original Galaxy, I believe. There is a rumour that the Note II will be out in October, if nothing else prices on the present Note should drop substantially. Skip the SIM card and you have what you want. Could also look for a used one on FleaBay. I bought a used one and paid just over $300.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #100
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Samsung did a Galaxy Player that was based on the original Galaxy, I believe. There is a rumour that the Note II will be out in October, if nothing else prices on the present Note should drop substantially. Skip the SIM card and you have what you want. Could also look for a used one on FleaBay. I bought a used one and paid just over $300.
That is an idea. Thanks.

I have kept an eye on the Galaxy Players 5.0, 4.0, 3.6 which aren't bad except for the screen resolution. Only about 800 on the wide side. The Note has about 1200 or so. No AMOLED or stylus either.
The price is good though. Less than $200 on Amazon for the Player 5.0.

So there is room for Samsung to poke a compromise in.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #101
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post

Are the studs on the front jama when in and out of trouser pockets?
Kuma, your Japanese is very good.
The studs don't cause a problem no, but the overall size of the case does make things a tighter fit.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #102
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
That is an idea. Thanks.

I have kept an eye on the Galaxy Players 5.0, 4.0, 3.6 which aren't bad except for the screen resolution. Only about 800 on the wide side. The Note has about 1200 or so. No AMOLED or stylus either.
The price is good though. Less than $200 on Amazon for the Player 5.0.

So there is room for Samsung to poke a compromise in.
I believe the Player 5.0 and 4.0 have the same resolution, meaning the 4 is actually sharper due to higher DPI. But you are right that with 800x480 they're using yesteryear resolutions, 1280x720 is today's standard. I second that the Note would be a better fit, even if used as WiFi only, if you can find it at the price others have indicated.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #103
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Kuma, your Japanese is very good.
The studs don't cause a problem no, but the overall size of the case does make things a tighter fit.
Kind of makes it uniquely anta no tame ni message, right?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #104
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
You guys could try the Otterbox commuter series. It offers very good protection and with my Dell Streak it is thin enough to allow me to take the phone out of my jeans' front pocket easily -- and many others have said so, too.

Definitely not the Defender series, the ultimate protection but extremely bulky.

Last edited by HansTWN; 06-21-2012 at 05:08 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #105
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You guys could try the Otterbox commuter series. It offers very good protection and with my Dell Streak it is thin enough to allow me to take the phone out of my jeans' front pocket easily -- and many others have said so, too.

Definitely not the Defender series, the ultimate protection but extremely bulky.
My brother has the Otterbox for his Note. Man as if the note was not big enough the OtterBox makes the Note look much bigger.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote