Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
Huge MobiFile can't be read

Hi All not been here for a will as I have been a happy bunny, but I would like to ask advice help on this matter.

I use a rather old school Bookeen Cybook 3 which I have kept running on the Mobi firmware. the main reason for this is that when I tried to use Epub the files seemed to be too big for the reader to load - I'm told because of embedded fonts. By too large, anything over about 1.5Mb is a problem in that it caused the reader to crash. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84941

All has been fine since then, convert the wretched epub to mobi using Calibre, load and read.

Until today I bought a book (someone lent me the paperback and said it was a must read), but the epub comes out at over 3Mb and after conversion the mobi is even bigger - over 4Mb.

Are there any gurus out there with ideas how to make these file sizes more managable? could there be a problem with the original download which itself was nearly 4Mb. Would anyone like to have a look at the files and see what is going on? I will make them available on a private ftp site to any volunteers.

Thanks in advance.
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
You could rename the .ePub to .zip unzip all files and re-compile the book with Mobipocket Creator.. (Choose "High Compression.")
To compile the book, simply double-click the .opf file after you installed Mobipocket Creator.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks I'll try it tomorrow
Old 04-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Slider1960
Connoisseur

Thanks so much! I've never even looked into these files before. but that certainly got me going. It turns out in the real book there are a few pages of photos, these were all pretty big for jpgs and ther cover image embedded in the fiel was 500k alone! I recompiled the book without the images, and inserted a cover later using Calibre and now the book is 400K and reads fine on my Cybook :-)