Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
wifi Personal Documents - only Kindle?

Hi, I've been searching all over mobileread and have not come up with an answer. So I thought I'd ask here, thinking this might be the most likely place to find an answer.

I have a K3 and have no complaints. Love it. Use it all the time to email personal documents to the Kindle over the wifi.

All these new readers, like the Kobo Touch, the Nook Touch, the Aluratek Air, which have wifi, do not provide any info about emailing personal documents to the device. Is the wifi on these devices only good for their associated book stores?

Are there ANY other ereaders with wifi that can be used the way I use the Kindle, to email documents to the device wirelessly?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
It's not precisely the same thing, I guess, but any device that can access the Internet (including the Nook Color) should be able to access your e-mail. You can always e-mail a document to yourself that way. Other than that, I haven't heard of a device where you could do that, but maybe someone else knows differently.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can see how that would work....but I hate the web browser on the Kindle and am not getting a tablet. I would love to get another ereader (I like them!) but only if they can do what my Kindle does. I don't like connecting to the computer to transfer books.

So I guess that means none of these new ereaders will do what the Kindle does!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
So I guess that means none of these new ereaders will do what the Kindle does!
I don't think so. Kindle rules in that arena.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I'm glad I found that out before I bought something else. The new ones WERE tempting me. Now they are not.

I just bought 5 books from fictionwise and emailed them to my kindle. What else is wifi good for lol! I buy my books where I want to, not any particular store supported by an ereader.

(I also have a Jetbook, and I put books on it via the SD card). So clearly, I don't need another reader!
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
bhartman36
Wizard

If it works for you, stick with it!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yeah, I particularly like this feature of my Kindle as well. I can't recall the last time I used a cable to transfer anything to it.

Note that, as far as I can determine, even on the other eink readers that have web browsers that let you view your email, I don't think any of them other than the kindle will allow you to download attachments from them, so that would only be an approach if your documents were text and in the body of an email. Only on the Kindle, as far as I know, can you download the mobis right from MR's library or PG for example, or get books from your own library via Calibre's content server.
If anyone knows for sure differently, let me know.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

Are there ANY other ereaders with wifi that can be used the way I use the Kindle, to email documents to the device wirelessly?
Apart from the possible exception of Nook Color (depending on your definition of 'ereader'), no. It baffles me, because it is so useful to be able to push content to the Kindle wirelessly for later reading.

Nook, Kobo and one of the Sony models have wifi, but it is more or less restricted to browsing for and downloading content from their respective stores. Of course, they could add an email delivery feature at any time without changing very much on the reader itself. So perhaps they will at some point.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote